1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by InPa, Dec 6, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

globetrotter,

I could definitely see that, I meant the company caring as much about the fit for someone whose responsibilities would be primarily international.

Interestingly enough, I grew up in a reasonably small city in the Midwest with perhaps a slightly higher degree of ethnic diversity but it was still primarily white protestants of german and scandanavian descent. I guess it gives me a substantially different perspective than other Asians in SoCal.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

actually, I thought that that was hard to understand - the position was meant to bring a global perspective to the team and help them understand the international market. I would have thought if there was one position in the company that might be expected to be a little "oddball" it would be that.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Yeah, that was my general question as well, corn-fed midwestern boys aren't usually the most effective international businessmen [​IMG]

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

this is my favorite story (sorry off topic) - I ran into a guy at a trade show last year who told me he had "taken care of his international markets" so that he didn't have to deal with them himself any more. he had given an exclusive 1 year distribution contract for ROW to a distributor from Kazakastan, who he had met for one evening and had dinner with. and he was very proud of himself.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

nice... they have distributors in Kazakhstan though? What do they distribute, black market Russian contraband? [​IMG] You'd think for your first deal, you'd stay a bit closer to home than Kazakhstan.

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Phil -

I agree with your point, however I did some research and found that it was only in 1995 that IBM dropped its white shirt, black tie rule.

"February 3, 1995
    IBM Corp. loosens its tie in 1995. Newly installed Chairman Lou Gerstner, the former chief at R.J.R. Nabisco, undoes decades of IBM policy by announcing that workers no longer have to wear the long-standing company uniform (white shirt, black tie) to work."

So as much as we may wish these dress codes disappeared in the 50's, it may be that they are much more ingrained in our culture than we realize.

That being said, a white shirt for an interview is probably still the safest choice - that is assuming you have the funding or ability to make that choice.

Bradford

7. General Koskov

General Koskov Well-Known Member

When being interviewed for the Canadian Forces, I wore some grey-brown nasty polyester/rayon shirt with a black suit & tie. All from Jack Fraiser, all ill-fitting (in both size and colour).

I didn't get the career.

Next year I applied again, I wore a light blue New&Lingwood shirt with a black tie and my father's old navy blue pinstripe suit.

I got the career (though my forum name belies my actual rank--or name, for that matter).

But the interesting thing about CF interviews, what differs them from the job interviews people usually talk about (aside from the bit about asking whether you are prepared to kill or maim people), is that the interviewer is wearing Canadian Disruptive Pattern combats (tunic, tshirt, & trousers) whereas they ask you to wear a coat & tie.

Mind you, I regularly wear a coat & tie so I wasn't offended by this but honestly, they do have service dress which is intended to mirror the civilian suit, yet they don't wear it. (Though, having now worn various categories of uniform, I assume it's a confort issue--and Her Majesty won't pay for bespoke for all of us.)