Interview Attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by InPa, Dec 6, 2004.

1. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Hey Phil...I hope you dont lose any sleep tonight having to agree with me there [​IMG] . There are some points that you mentioned that I dont agree with, for example I think that a person that buys a suit with the sole attention of returning it should be questioned as to the ethical decision in that. I once had a data entry interviewee tell me that he could get me into Monster.Com's DB easily which to me was less than impressive for a prospective employee. Drizzt: Of course the look one portrays is important, especially if he is dealing with customers and needs to make a favorable impression. I dont think that anyone doubts that., The issue is what job could be won by wearing a white (respectable) shirt at interview and then a Blue(respctable) shirt on interview 2. Unless the instruction from the boss was wear a blue shirt I cant imagine awarding someone a job based on their choice between two respectable looking shirts. JJF

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Those are cute stories, but I agree with drizz here. Clothes speak volumes about the wearer.

The candidate has the tags still on, and rolled up his pants legs, obviously planning to return the suit to the store after using it (unethical behavior to begin with).
    Translation: he won't even make a thrift-shop level investment in the way people see him, and he plans to do only what it takes to get by. When he finds something better, or the job accomplishes his purposes, he will move on, leaving the company in a lurch. This is like the guys who get a job at Guitar Center only long enough to buy equipment at cost to outfit their bands and friends, and then quit. Leeches.

The candidate comes dressed in a clean, but obviously 10-year old suit, that fits him okay but has no wrinkle to be found, an old, perfectly ironed shirt, a bad, well-tied tie, and a pair of crappy shoes, immaculately shined.
    Translation: this guy will make the best of what he's given. He obviously cares enough to be as respectful as possible given his station.

If the job is in the mailroom, I guess it doesn't matter, but if the job will require meeting clients, the person should show enough initiative to learn what would be appropriate and make an effort toward that.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

BTW, once you get to the level of minutiae, like choosing one guy over the other based solely on a blue vs. white shirt, you have gone a bit far IMO.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

FIH

this is a very fine point - the white shirt blue shirt issue. it comes down to this. every american manager finds a white shirt to be acceptable. many, possilbly a very good percentage, find a blue shirt acceptable. from a statistical standpoint, the white is a better choice.

I, myself, wear a dark blue shirt most days that I am in the office (not meeting customers). I might be very impressed (or a little creeped out) if somebody came into an interview wearing the same shade of blue as I wear. but that is a risk.

but some people are real assholes, and some people have very strict ideas of what people should and shouldn't wear, better safe than sorry.

5. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Dz,

Please explain in further detail about what was wrong with somebody wearing a double breasted suit or a paisley tie for an interview. I don't see what's wrong with the attire except that black is considered too trendy by some people.

Let's say, we were to ignore that man's attire, and we evaluated him on everything else- his experience, education, recommendations. And, on those factors alone, you'd hire this man on those factors. But, because he wore a double breasted suit, are you going to automatically not going to hire this man?

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

My last interview I went to, I wore a black long sleeve t-shirt (slim - Helmut Lang) and dark slim-fitting jeans, and black leather boots. Another prospective employee who I saw leaving as I was coming into my interview was wearing a navy sack suit, a white dress shirt (disgusting stitching) and a plain red tie. I got the job - mind you, this is in an office. A casual office, but an office none the less.

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Esquire, I think you're missing the point.  The choice of clothing you pick for an interview can be interpreted as "nonverbal communication".  A blue 2B suit, white pinpoint shirt, and conservative tie conveys a completely different image of what you consider to be your "work" personality in an interview as opposed to, say, a DB black pinstripe, colored shirt, and red paisley tie.   One says "I can fit in".  The other says "My personality dominates everything".  

In most middle to upper middle class jobs (in fact, I'll venture that 95 to 99% of these jobs - your standard corporate/financial jobs), success at work depends a lot less on factor 1 -> "experience, education, and recommendations" and a lot more on factor 2 -> "ability to work well with others".  Especially since in reality, factor 1 doesn't usually differ from candidates over a large range, but factor 2 can differ dramatically.  From a corporation's point of view, the ability to work with others is very, very important.

8. Phil

Phil Senior member

The guy who showed up with the tags still on his suit with the intention of returning it got the job at our company. Thinking that he lacks a certain moral character because he was going to return the suit isnt fair. You cant look at these things in a vacuum. Sure, if you do this on a regular basis, or for fun, then yes, that is a problem. You have to understand the circumstances - this guy was dirt poor. Not poor like he couldnt afford a great suit, like so poor he had no suit, nor the money to buy one. He came to this country from Cuba, and really wanted a chance. His english was decent, and he was working on it. He wanted this job so bad that he was willing to buy a suit that he couldnt afford, wear it, and then return it for the chance to get the job. He got the job, and I still work with him. Hes been nothing but a professional, and a gentleman. We joke now about that suit, especially since he makes more money than me now and buys whatever suits he likes. According to some of you, he should have never gotten the job because he didnt show up in a white shirt. The point of my rant here is that I am very glad my employer wasnt that shallow when I was interviewed(since I got the job not wearing a suit at all, since I didnt own one), and I am glad I am not that shallow either, since I pushed hard for this guy to be given the job.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Black isn't an appropriate color for a morning interview, and may not be an appropriate color for some industries at all. Double breasted suits may look excellent if the person has the body type to pull it off, in this case, he most certainly did not. His tie was a garish blue/red paisley that looked like the one Versace tie that you'd see at their outlet discounted to $5 after 8 markdowns because it was too butt ugly for anyone to pick it up before that. He was also wearing some Kenneth Cole rubber sole shoes that looked like he was ready for a night on the town with the American Jackass set.

This wasn't his first interview with our company (although it was the first time he interviewed with me) and he should have an idea of what clothing would be appropriate for our industry considering that he had attended a mixer/info session and had had another interview with a sales/marketing director (who he would have been directly reporting to)

He wouldn't have gotten a second interview if he didn't meet the qualifications necessary to do the job he was interviewing for. If he had shown up with proper attire, I think he may have had a chance to get the job, although I didn't generally get as good a vibe from him as I did from the other candidate, but I wonder how much of that was the clothes.

I will say that the other candidate (who is a current employee) was tall, confident, and well spoken, while this candidate was short, rotund, and had a used car salesman vibe so, maybe he wouldn't have gotten the job anyways, in any case, his attire didn't help his cause.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

About the blue vs white shirt question, I wouldn't care if a candidate was wearing a blue or white shirt, but it is probably still safer to wear a white shirt. It happened that the candidate that got the job was wearing a charcoal suit with a light blue shirt and dark blue tie.

11. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

12. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

(esquire. @ 08 Dec. 2004, 12:15) Dz, Please explain in further detail about what was wrong with somebody wearing a double breasted suit or a paisley tie for an interview. I don't see what's wrong with the attire except that black is considered too trendy by some people. Let's say, we were to ignore that man's attire, and we evaluated him on everything else- his experience, education, recommendations. And, on those factors alone, you'd hire this man on those factors. But, because he wore a double breasted suit, are you going to automatically not going to hire this man?
    Black isn't an appropriate color for a morning interview, and may not be an appropriate color for some industries at all. Â Double breasted suits may look excellent if the person has the body type to pull it off, in this case, he most certainly did not. Â His tie was a garish blue/red paisley that looked like the one Versace tie that you'd see at their outlet discounted to $5 after 8 markdowns because it was too butt ugly for anyone to pick it up before that. Â He was also wearing some Kenneth Cole rubber sole shoes that looked like he was ready for a night on the town with the American Jackass set. Â This wasn't his first interview with our company (although it was the first time he interviewed with me) and he should have an idea of what clothing would be appropriate for our industry considering that he had attended a mixer/info session and had had another interview with a sales/marketing director (who he would have been directly reporting to) Â He wouldn't have gotten a second interview if he didn't meet the qualifications necessary to do the job he was interviewing for. Â If he had shown up with proper attire, I think he may have had a chance to get the job, although I didn't generally get as good a vibe from him as I did from the other candidate, but I wonder how much of that was the clothes. Â I will say that the other candidate (who is a current employee) was tall, confident, and well spoken, while this candidate was short, rotund, and had a used car salesman vibe so, maybe he wouldn't have gotten the job anyways, in any case, his attire didn't help his cause.
    Confidence and eloquence certainly factor into the equation, but I don't see what the guy's height has to do with anything.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think much of it depends on your position and the company. If you're hiring someone for an internal position who doesn't see clients, then perhaps it's less important how they dress, etc. However, if you're hiring someone who will be the public face of your company in the field, IMO you want someone who will represent your interests well, and how they dress is an important consideration. Perhaps in a perfect world, someone's appearance and attire wouldn't matter at all, but this isn't the case, at least not in our industry.

14. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

FIH, I was kidding. I wore a white shirt for my first interview because I wanted to wear a certain tie that my sis bought me for my interviews. Did the colour of my shirts get me a job? No. I think if you have any doubts, go with the safe choice and just get it out of your mind. The interview was with a law firm btw.

15. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

OK, OK...I feel silly [​IMG] JJF