• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Attire

InPa

Reaction score
I have an interview tomorrow with a boutique investment research firm in NYC tomorrow. I've worked the same place for the past eight years (in Delaware not NYC) and haven't been on the other side of an interview for some time. I was planning in to wear a soft chalk-stripe navy suit and am now going back and forth on the shirt color. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an interview tomorrow with a boutique investment research firm in NYC tomorrow.  I've worked the same place for the past eight years (in Delaware not NYC) and haven't been on the other side of an interview for some time.  I was planning in to wear a soft chalk-stripe navy suit and am now going back and forth on the shirt color.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Either one is probably fine, although white is probably a safer bet. Nobody ever didn't get a job because he was wearing a white shirt.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Be safe: white. Cut loose once you get the job.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If there's a question, just aim for the white. You're already being a little different with the chalk stripes. Go conservative on the tie, too.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be safe: white. Â Cut loose once you get the job.
And when you are ready to cut loose, here are some suggestions.
biggrin.gif
jim.jpg
red_devil.jpg
MELLOW.jpg
JJF

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If it's a pimp job, you'll rise quickly.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
US -white shirt.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
1st interview - white shirt
2nd interview - blue shirt

Bradford

Phil

Reaction score
I guess I work in a more creative field that most, but it would never occur to me to either wear a white shirt for an interview, or not hire someone based on the preference of a non-white colored shirt. I love white shirts, wear them at least 2-3 days a week, but this isnt 1950 anymore. Yes, you should be dressed conservatively for an interview, and well groomed, but you are honestly telling me that you would be in danger of "offending" the interviewer if you had on, dare I say a blue shirt?? I work in a field where the majority of men wear suit and tie, and often see people coming and going for interviews. I see no pattern of people wearing white shirts to interviews, more than I see people being hired because of them. I have a hand in the hiring process in my business, although I dont conduct the interviews. Over the course of 5 years, I have reviewed the applications of perhaps 100 potential employees. Not once has the color of their shirt ever come up. Every once in a while the interviewer will point out something silly, like showing up in a tshirt, or a funny hairtyle, but not once the shirt. In fact, when we go over the applications we like to look at the relevant items in the application - 1. education, 2. experience in the field, 3. previous employment, 4. references.

Like I said though, maybe its different in other field, or in other parts of the country. Im in midtown NYC.

johnw86

Reaction score
So, if I buy the yellow zoot suit, could I pair it with a white shirt for an interview?
biggrin.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if I buy the yellow zoot suit, could I pair it with a white shirt for an interview? Â
biggrin.gif
ABSOLUTELY NOT...The Zoots are an ensemble and truthefully the yellow and white wouldnt go. The Pink, or rust OK...Not the yellow. On the serious side of the discussion... White is safest. No question. As Manton stated cut loose only when you see that its acceptable to be wearing blue, dont be silly and show up on the interview being the only guy wearing a blue shirt On the topic of Blue shirts and White shirts in general, unless they are of a funky nature should generate no special attention. They are respectable dresswear staples (sorry ernest, airflight attendant wear too.) . So its not different and if its not different it should be OK. Keep us in the loop as to what happened. JJF

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of the interviewer checking off the "White Shirt" box on his interview sheet, but rather the overall impression that is made, even if it's unspoken and subconscious.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
As someone who owns his firm and sits in the interviewer's chair, I have the following observations:

1. White is always safe and serious.

2. Blue is O.K. too as long as we're talking about a light or pale blue. A dark blue or so-called French blue is N.G.

3. All of my job applicants wear dark suits. I once had a candidate without a suit coat. He made a very bad impression. I once had a candidate wear a sportscoat. He was a good candidate, and his qualifications overcame his informality. As a general rule, a dark and conservative suit works best.

4. A conservative striped shirt is also O.K. as long as there is a much white in the background. E.g., hairline or pinstripe is O.K. I wouldn't wear a wild Turnbull & Asser stripe unless I had advance knowledge that this was acceptable.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads