interview attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by khalilch2, Feb 19, 2013.

1. khalilch2

khalilch2 Member

I have a navy speckled tweed suit that fits me very well, however it may look a little too flashy or informal for an interview.

I'm a second year university student in Computer Engineering, do you think this suit might be too informal for an engineering interview? I know the usual attire should be a navy suit, white shirt, plain tie, however I do not own a navy suit. I also don't have the money to buy/tailor one at the moment.

What do you guys think? I can post pictures of the suit/the fit if you'd like.

top: http://media.topman.com/wcsstore/TopMan/images/catalog/87J75FNAV_large.jpg
    bottom: http://media.topman.com/wcsstore/TopMan/images/catalog/87T75FNAV_large.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. biged781

biged781 Senior member

It would help to see a picture of the suit, but unless it is way out there, my personal opinion is that it is probably ok. For reference, I am a mid level (senior by title) engineer who interviews candidates on a regular basis. I just (two weeks ago) recommended that we hired a guy who looked like he was wearing his father's suit jacket, had mismatched trousers, and some sort of horrible, casual button up underneath.

I didn't care all that much as it was not entirely relevant to the job. I want to see some effort in regards to dress, but ultimately, I want to hire smart engineers who can make meaningful contributions to what we are doing. I made a (well intentioned) crack about the suit to my boss, and we both agreed that we should hire him.

That said, I'm an engineer. I can't speak to the opinions of people who work in other departments who may be weighing in on the hiring decision.

3. khalilch2

khalilch2 Member

I've provided pictures of the top and the bottom of the suit, but yeah I suppose engineering firms don't care too much about what you wear.

4. biged781

biged781 Senior member

So, I would still be careful as you may very well have to interview with non-engineers, i.e., VP's/hiring managers in different departments.

After seeing that suit... I'd get something else. That's very flashy (is "flashy" even the right word?) . I can't say I wouldn't hire you because of it, but I would certainly notice it, and that wouldn't be a good thing. If you can get a decent looking navy suit, do so. It will be needed again anyway, not a waste.

5. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I would not wear that suit to an interview.

6. khalilch2

khalilch2 Member

I must admit it does not look as speckled as it does in the picture (not as obvious), however the speckles are present.

7. biged781

biged781 Senior member

Well, ultimately it's your call. However, you would not be wasting money by picking up a decent navy or charcoal suit. If it's an option, I would do it.

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

9. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

10. biged781

biged781 Senior member

I would also have to agree with this, but who knows, maybe you can pull it off.