• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

interview attire

khalilch2

Reaction score
I have a navy speckled tweed suit that fits me very well, however it may look a little too flashy or informal for an interview.

I'm a second year university student in Computer Engineering, do you think this suit might be too informal for an engineering interview? I know the usual attire should be a navy suit, white shirt, plain tie, however I do not own a navy suit. I also don't have the money to buy/tailor one at the moment.

What do you guys think? I can post pictures of the suit/the fit if you'd like.

top: http://media.topman.com/wcsstore/TopMan/images/catalog/87J75FNAV_large.jpg
bottom: http://media.topman.com/wcsstore/TopMan/images/catalog/87T75FNAV_large.jpg

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
It would help to see a picture of the suit, but unless it is way out there, my personal opinion is that it is probably ok. For reference, I am a mid level (senior by title) engineer who interviews candidates on a regular basis. I just (two weeks ago) recommended that we hired a guy who looked like he was wearing his father's suit jacket, had mismatched trousers, and some sort of horrible, casual button up underneath.

I didn't care all that much as it was not entirely relevant to the job. I want to see some effort in regards to dress, but ultimately, I want to hire smart engineers who can make meaningful contributions to what we are doing. I made a (well intentioned) crack about the suit to my boss, and we both agreed that we should hire him.

That said, I'm an engineer. I can't speak to the opinions of people who work in other departments who may be weighing in on the hiring decision.

Last edited:

khalilch2

Reaction score

It would help to see a picture of the suit, but unless it is way out there, my personal opinion is that it is probably ok.  For reference, I am a mid level (senior by title) engineer who interviews candidates on a regular basis.  I just (two weeks ago) recommended that we hired a guy who looked like he was wearing his father's suit jacket, had mismatched trousers, and some sort of horrible, casual button up underneath.

I didn't care all that much as it was not entirely relevant to the job.  I want to see some effort in regards to dress, but ultimately, I want to hire smart engineers who can make meaningful contributions to what we are doing.  I made a (well intentioned) crack about the suit to my boss, and we both agreed that we should hire him.

I've provided pictures of the top and the bottom of the suit, but yeah I suppose engineering firms don't care too much about what you wear.

biged781

Reaction score
So, I would still be careful as you may very well have to interview with non-engineers, i.e., VP's/hiring managers in different departments.

After seeing that suit... I'd get something else. That's very flashy (is "flashy" even the right word?) . I can't say I wouldn't hire you because of it, but I would certainly notice it, and that wouldn't be a good thing. If you can get a decent looking navy suit, do so. It will be needed again anyway, not a waste.

Last edited:

khalilch2

Reaction score
I must admit it does not look as speckled as it does in the picture (not as obvious), however the speckles are present.

biged781

Reaction score
Well, ultimately it's your call. However, you would not be wasting money by picking up a decent navy or charcoal suit. If it's an option, I would do it.

biged781

Reaction score

I would also have to agree with this, but who knows, maybe you can pull it off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads