• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Attire

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be interviewing soon at some engineering and software companies and am trying to nail down a reliable outfit. What do you think of the following? Suit: solid navy 2 button wool, notch lapel, side vents, flat front, uncuffed Shirt: solid white cotton, button cuffs, spread collar, pocket (with silver pin inside) Shoes: black leather cap toe balmorals, no broguing Belt: black leather, simple silver buckle/clasp Tie: I like this one. Watch: Should I wear one? I typically wear a basic silver watch. Wedding band: Should I wear my wedding band? It's a plain silver band. Pocket square: Should I wear one? If I do, it'll be solid white and folded straight. Thanks for your input.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like pretty much the most conservative and safe outfit ever. Bring some smelling salts to wake them up.
smile.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assuming everything fits well, it sounds good. Lose the pocket square. Wear a watch

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure your message is legit, but you formatted it just like the spam messages that have been haunting there boards lately.

Wear the wedding band for sure. I'd wager it shows commitment. The other stuff sounds fine, but I'm not wild about red ties on white shirts.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Assuming everything fits well, it sounds good. Lose the pocket square. Wear a watch

I think I agree.

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Pretty sure your message is legit, but you formatted it just like the spam messages that have been haunting there boards lately.

Wear the wedding band for sure. I'd wager it shows commitment. The other stuff sounds fine, but I'm not wild about red ties on white shirts.

It's legit pvrhye. Would you prefer another color tie or another color shirt (light blue is the only other option I figure)?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear light blue with a navy suit. While this is a personal preference, I've found that white with navy looks better and light blue pairs better with charcoal. The tie is fine -- it's a classic BB repp tie.

I'd wear the wedding band and the watch as well. The pocket square is entirely up to you, and would depend upon the job and the position you're interviewing. I usually skip it if it makes me look fussy (assuming you're interviewing for a no-nonsense kind of organization). I've worn it when I feel confident enough about wearing it.

Good luck.

francisco_bt

Reaction score
Sans pocket square, I think you will be wearing the perfect interview outfit. I wear the exact same outfit except for the color of the suit (solid charcoal). You could try a gray tie to go with your suit as well. Be sure you shave, clip your nails, don't wear cologne (but do shower before), keep your shoes polished, and have your hair in decent shape.

Good luck.

Ortega76

Reaction score
I'm sure it goes without saying but don't forget to keep your socks navy. It does sound like the perfect thing to wear to an interview.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Considered gold?

The gold version of that tie is nice, but I feel a little more confident with the burgundy.

Originally Posted by Metlin
I wouldn't wear light blue with a navy suit. While this is a personal preference, I've found that white with navy looks better and light blue pairs better with charcoal. The tie is fine -- it's a classic BB repp tie.

I'd wear the wedding band and the watch as well. The pocket square is entirely up to you, and would depend upon the job and the position you're interviewing. I usually skip it if it makes me look fussy (assuming you're interviewing for a no-nonsense kind of organization). I've worn it when I feel confident enough about wearing it.

Good luck.

I think I'll lose the pocket square.

Originally Posted by francisco_bt
Sans pocket square, I think you will be wearing the perfect interview outfit. I wear the exact same outfit except for the color of the suit (solid charcoal). You could try a gray tie to go with your suit as well. Be sure you shave, clip your nails, don't wear cologne (but do shower before), keep your shoes polished, and have your hair in decent shape.

Good luck.

Yeah, solid charcoal was the other option. I'm not the best at pairing ties with suits and shirts. So far gold and grey have been suggested as alternatives.

Originally Posted by Ortega76
I'm sure it goes without saying but don't forget to keep your socks navy. It does sound like the perfect thing to wear to an interview.

I forgot to indicate that, but yes, I will wear solid navy socks.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Papa Doble
Suit: solid navy 2 button wool, notch lapel, side vents, flat front, uncuffed
Shirt: solid white cotton, button cuffs, spread collar, pocket (with silver pin inside)
Shoes: black leather cap toe balmorals, no broguing
Belt: black leather, simple silver buckle/clasp
Tie: I like this one.

Sounds perfect. Personally I'd prefer a shirt without a pocket, but that's just me.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with above, lose the pocket square and you're set.

The only reason I say lose the pocket square is that in the last couple of years I've sat in on the interview process for fellows and residents in two surgery programs. It's amazing how fixated people can get on anything that sticks out. Someone can go from "that guy who did the cancer research" to "that guy with the pocket square" in a second. Not a big deal but in a tight race I'd rather be known as the former than the latter.

When you get the job bust out the FU jackets...
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads