• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview attire: OCBD with charcoal suit?

Valproate

Reaction score
I searched the forums and AskAndy, but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I know it's not as ideal as a white shirt, but can I wear a striped Brooks Brother's OCBD with a charcoal suit? I'll wear a decent tie and Park Avenues.

I have a white shirt but am going on a handful of back-to-back interviews.

Thanks!

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just pair the outfit (OCBD with Charcoal suit) with a rep tie, you will be fine.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine. Some here will say never to wear an OCBD with a suit, but I don't have a problem with it, and depending on your age and the type of interview it should not be a problem.

Valproate

Reaction score
Great, thanks. Yes, it's a subtle white and blue stripe OCBD.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
It's fine. Some here will say never to wear an OCBD with a suit, but I don't have a problem with it, and depending on your age and the type of interview it should not be a problem.

I think these variables need to be identified. Personally, I would never wear an OCBD with a suit (especially a stripe and especially for an interview). But, 95% of the population would think nothing of it.

If you've got back to back interviews and time/budget permits, it might be worth picking up two non-iron white dress shirts.

Wideknot

Reaction score
I'm gonna get flamed for this but I have to say it: If the interviewer judges you negatively for wearing an OCBD with a suit, it's not the kind of place you're going to want to work. That level of scrutiny signals a profoundly negative work environment.

Valproate

Reaction score
30 years old and am interviewing for physician residency positions (post-medical school). It's generally a conservatively dressed environment.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as everything is crisp and well fitting, I doubt anyone will even notice.

But, strictly on a personal level, I have always been baffled as to why a button down - which is technically a sport shirt - is worn as a dress shirt in conservative business environments.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valproate
30 years old and am interviewing for physician residency positions (post-medical school). It's generally a conservatively dressed environment.

What you are describing is a conservative outfit.

HKTenor

Reaction score
Like Doc I am both traditional and highly scrutinous of interview attire, but this sounds fine to me. It's not generally my taste, but OCBD with a (single-breasted only, please) suit is perfectly unexceptional conservative business dress. Yes, the OCBD has its roots in sporting clothing, but so does the suit itself, albeit further back, no?

Age has nothing to do with this question, as far as I'm concerned, nor is it really ever a factor in what one should wear for an interview after the age of 18.

Sazerac

Reaction score
I don't know, guys. I think it depends entirely on the shirt. A lot of people mistake sport-shirt BD's for so-called "dress" BD's. Can the OP post pics of the shirt or give us more information about it? Why not just get a good white dress shirt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads