• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview advised "business casual" in invite e-mail - suit overkill?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
So the people interviewing the guy specifically ask him NOT to wear a suit (if they said nothing you'd have worn one but they requested business casual) and some of you guys would have him wear one? No wonder we've got all these interview threads. I say wear white tie and make sure your top hat is perfect!.

******* business casual dude = black captoes, chinos or dress slacks, polos or dress shirt, black belt, huge blackberry at said belt and dorky haircut. Everyfuckingbody knows that but noooo Mr. is gonna wear a blazer because he's all sartorial.

dshreter

Reaction score
Totally agree with Fuuma, I feel like I must be taking crazy pills here reading some of the advice.

West Coast business attire = button down and slacks
West Coast IT = polo shirt on a good day

I realize this is an interview, but to wear a suit, or even a sport coat I believe is to disregard their culture. In an interview they are assessing two things: if you'll be competent and hard working, and of almost equal importance is if you'll fit in with your peers.

They specifically stated business casual, so regardless of the statement you're trying to make by dressing nicer, the first thing that comes to mind is you can't follow directions.

I would wear a conservative button down with slacks, no tie. Depending on the firm culture, if more artsy or something I'd wear a patterned shirt (stripes or check, something boring) with a tie in that case.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
I agreee with dshreter. I interview sometimes at garage start-ups founded by MIT alumni. They're all wearing "I will replace you will a small shell script" t-shirts. The conference table is a door supported by two obsolete Sun servers. A suit would be a deal-killer there. Same goes for hip web development companies.

However a blazer, RL striped shirt, burgundy tie, and pressed chinos got me my current job. I think I'll wear my "I 3> FreeBSD" t-shirt to my next interview as I want out of corporate IT.

Do your homework ahead of time. Stake out the office before the interview. If they're dressing business casual, you may want to tone down your look a bit.

Median

Reaction score
Hmm, I've just checked out their website and there's loads of staff photos - 99% of all the blokes are wearing jeans and t-shirts!

I'm wondering if I should wear some dark wash jeans instead of the gray dress pants!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I'd wear:

Solid/stripe/tattersall (subdued colors) full sleeve OBCD + conservative tie
khakis (any color -gray/olive/charcoal/tan)
Cordovan/Brown/black shoes - make sure they are polished
preferably a navy Blazer that fits you well (or properly coordinated jacket, see pics below). Navy is the easiest to do, no headaches.

Keep it simple and conservative, no flashy stuff and you will be all good - remember, understated elegance is the key. Also remember, a simple dress, if it fits well, will make you look darn good. Do not wear a suit if they specifically said "business casual". And I don't think that means 'no jacket'. Be confident and you'll do well.

Vox has posted some brilliant business-casual outfits on the "what are you wearing" thread many times over. Any of his following outfits (without the jacket, if you strongly feel against it) will be great for your interview if they specifically said "business casual". Pick one that you like and improvise!

Take a look at his other photos, too - I just picked these randomly. Hope this helps.

279930839_DumcF-XL.jpg
485077948_Gv2SK-XL.jpg
287992074_Bka83-XL.jpg
302968021_MbAb3-XL.jpg
295163207_WYro8-XL.jpg
302968021_MbAb3-XL.jpg

295162534_7d32L-XL.jpg
295694225_wuj3Z-XL.jpg
297863798_dgRQT-XL.jpg

Median

Reaction score
I like some of those looks and thanks for posting it but seriously, the CEO and CFO are wearing untucked t-shirts and jeans....some of the guys in dev are wearing shorts....I don't think a tie is gonna fly

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Median
I like some of those looks and thanks for posting it but seriously, the CEO and CFO are wearing untucked t-shirts and jeans....some of the guys in dev are wearing shorts....I don't think a tie is gonna fly

I understand, and I had to go through the exact thing when I interviewed. The CEOs can afford to dress damn well however they want, and that might not mean you can do that same. I still went with khakis+blazer and no one blinked an eye. Remeber that you dress well not for the occasion but because you like to dress well and dress appropriately. An interview is one such occasion in my opinion where it is not a mistake to be conservatively dressed.

Some members here go through this daily - imagine working in a ultra casual enviroment, but you hate going to work in t-shirt and jeans. Many people here still dress in khakis+blazer and don't feel out of place - the key is to be subtle and not flashy. Coworkers might comment for a day or two, but they will understand that this is how you are and thats it. Much easier to do this if you dress properly to work from day 1
smile.gif
There is a reason why the khakis+navy blazer+OBCD look is kinda common - you can never be wrong in that outfit (lose the tie if you have to).

However, finally it is your choice. For the interview, wear whatever makes you feel 100% comfortable.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Median

How about one of these:

you_read_my_tshirt.jpg

Just kidding. While an typical interview suit would be overkill for this situation, there's nothing wrong with looking professional and neat. Exhibiting good presentation skills will give you the leg up on those who show up looking like slobs. They will expect you to dress professionally for the interview. Showing up on your first day overdressed, that's another story.

hls09

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
If they made a point of stating that the attire is business casual, then I would not wear a suit.

I would wear a pair of slacks, button down shirt and a conservative sport coat. You can always lose the sport coat if the place is really casual when you get there.

Wearing a suit just says you're not paying to attention to what they said and gives off the sign that you might not fit in if they hire you.

+1,000,000

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
If they made a point of stating that the attire is business casual, then I would not wear a suit.

I would wear a pair of slacks, button down shirt and a conservative sport coat. You can always lose the sport coat if the place is really casual when you get there.

Wearing a suit just says you're not paying to attention to what they said and gives off the sign that you might not fit in if they hire you.

Another supporter of this opinion.

petr

Reaction score
Great thread. It shows how important knowing the culture can be.

I've done this type of interview a lot (given and taken).

Sounds like you are about spot on. Cotton jacket though? Business casual is tricky for sure, but I am not so sure about cotton. If it accomplishes a casual vibe, without being too trendy, then it would be fine.

Ever time I took a blazer I ended up taking it off quickly.

Since your code is minimalist, I would make sure the pants, shoes and shirt were top quality and simple. You don't want someone to remember you for your clothes.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't we create a single, pinned thread for Interview Questions? It would eliminate all these separate threads asking which tie to wear, etc. It would be like that denim question thread in SW&D.

(To the OP: Listen to Bradford.)

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear the suit, leave the tie at home.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Suit and no tie sounds a lot riskier than a tie and a sportcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads