1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Interval Training

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ken, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ken

ken Banned by Request

Just did it for the first time today (well, I've done it during rugby practice for 10 minutes before. Went 20 today). Tough as hell. My body isn't used to it, as I've only done long distance stuff before.

So, is it true that this type of training is supposed to keep your body from using muscle for energy, so you keep more muscle mass? And should I cut my other cardio out entirely (I used to do a 5 mile run followed by a 5 mile bike)?

My goal is to get to 160-170 (150 now) and maintain my fat level (7% as of last week.)

Thanks for any insight.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Interval training can actually builld muscle, depending on the length./intensity of the interval. Try 8x400 m intervals (2 miles), with a full track of recuperation between each, and I guarantee that you'll be crying for mama. As for your question, it's hard to answer without knowing what your schedule is like, but I would say that a 5 mile runs everyday followed by a 5 mile bike ride will not allow you to really build up mass.

Debaser is a bigger guy than I am, and he runs 100 m, so maybe he can chime in here.

3. Matt

Matt [email protected]

ken - you are a prime candidate for the wheatgrass diet.

4. Debaser

Debaser Well-Known Member

I actually found a good program for 400m sprints just recently, so LA Guy is pretty on target with this recommendation. Check it out here. I wouldn't do any more cardio than this twice a week (or even once), but if you've never done 400m all-out, you probably won't want to. I have a fair amount of drive, but 400m sprints cause me to hate life; during each rest period I briefly weigh suicide as a potential alternative to the next run. Anyway, 10-20 lbs of muscle is quite a bit. If your interest is purely mass gain, I would look into Hypertrophy-Specific Training, which is the most results-producing, scientifically-founded program out there for building muscle. If you're more interested in performance, the book Core Performance by Mark Verstegen is excellent. Make sure you check out the "Eating for mass" section on the HST page, as diet is the most important factor for gaining muscle.

5. ken

ken Banned by Request

Thanks. I was a bit conservative on my current weight. 150 is the lowest it has ever hit during the day (usually hovers around 155), and 165 would be perfect. So, yeah, 10 pounds is about my goal.

Do you think my 10k time will suffer if I quit doing longer distances? I'd hate to lose to my sister (we occasionally run the same races).

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you schedule a 10K+ run at least once a week, no. Otherwise, yes. You won't get as quick results doing this, but you will keep your endurance and cardio. Like a coach told me, there is no practice for running b ut more running.

7. benchan

benchan Senior Member

If you add 10 pounds, you probably be slower in long distance. A person's VO2 Max is inversely proportion to weight.

I suggest you try doing interval on hills. It helps to improve your running economy and you legs will become stronger. And yeah, develop a more muscular lower body as well.

8. ken

ken Banned by Request

Thanks LAG. Although that's not the answer I wanted to hear. I guess I was looking for "t.v. and potato chips are an excellent way to keep up your race times when doing intervals".

Debaser: Definitely more performance minded, which is really why I want the mass (to more effectively compete w/the 180 and 190 lb. kids). Looking forward to checking out the book you recommended.