• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internships

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting an internship this summer and was wondering if people new of any companies that took interns for sales/buying and/or marketing. I've looked at big companies like filenes and such but was wondering about companies like charles tyrwhitt, coppley, paul stuart, jack victor, etc. I want to go into one of those aspects in mens wear but haven't been lucky in finding information. I was gonna conatact the companies soon but was wondering out of curiousity if anyone off hand knew if these companies take interns.

Thanks
Nik

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Design wise I know a lot of interns are co-op students in design programs at universities and colleges. I would offer that you probably want to contact these companies quickly (and I mean within the week). Intern or assitant positions fill up very quickly and most internships that I know of (these are mostly in marketing) are usually secured in January-Feburary.

A.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try RisingStar.com(specializes in internships) and Monster.com.

uriahheep

Reaction score
If you're in Rochester but considering Coppley, there's a similar company in Rochester called Adrian Jules. or maybe the following:
devil.gif
http://www.rsinternships.com/applica...g.php3?ID=1267

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in Rochester but considering Coppley, there's a similar company in Rochester called Adrian Jules. or maybe the following: Â
devil.gif
http://www.rsinternships.com/applica...g.php3?ID=1267
I kind of wanted out of rochester, looking for london, montreal or NYC preferably. I have seen adrian jules and am currently interning in rochester at the Red Barn. Hoping to get something a little bit bigger and i know that i'm starting this kind of late, i just transfered colleges so instead of looking last semester for the summer i started when i got her in late jan.

uriahheep

Reaction score
In Montreal there's l'Uomo.
The cost of living in London is extremely high, higher than in New York.
In New York try some high-end retailers if that is your main interest. There are some native Bangladeshi fellows working at the Brioni store in New York, so I wouldn't worry about having to come from a certain mold.

Lydia

Reaction score
There seem to be quite a few people on this forum who have experience doing business with China or are Chinese. Do any of you know good sites for entry-level jobs located in China or involving China?

To bring this back to clothing, I am particuarly interested in anything that involves the apparel industry, import and export from China. How does one get into that line of work? I am a relatively recent college grad.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding Chinese jobs, what kind of language skills do you have? That's going to be the first thing they are going to ask you in even an entry level job.

Lydia

Reaction score
Regarding Chinese jobs, what kind of language skills do you have?  That's going to be the first thing they are going to ask you in even an entry level job.
I don't really know what the standards are for rating language ability. I am not Chinese, so that puts me at a disadvantage in some senses. I can communicate quite effectively in Mandarin, on the phone, on the street, in most interactions. I can read newspapers with some help from the dictionary. I'm at that point where I recognize most characters, but don't always know what they mean in different combinations. I can write, but only with a computer - though I am adept at that. Could I translate during a merger? No. I made the mistake of not taking Chinese in college, after having studied it in HS.

Is any of this going to helpful in finding a job?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it depends, your language skills could be good enough for some entry level work such as administrative assistant or IT support, however, lack of writing ability could be an issue when it comes to administrative assistant positions, it would be inconvenient to have to type a note before handing it to someone in a meeting. You probably need strong command of the language to be in sales/marketing, and they would almost certainly hire a native speaker in that case.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a job in fashion, at the buyer, merchandiser, marketing level, then go work at that company's retail location as a salesperson first, or even in the stockroom. This is where 90% of the corporate jobs in fashion recruit from. Once you get in a company at this level, mobility to better positions become very easy.

If you can't secure an internship, I'd higly suggest going this route.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone today mentioned that brooks brothers has a whole internship program set up, like the may co. through filenes etc., but i can't find any info on it does anyone know if its exists?

aybojs

Reaction score
How do you get started in retail? I've both stopped by various places and sent resumes online, but I'm having a hell of a difficult time even there. It seems really closed off and I don't have a clue how to break in.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really looking to do retail as much. I've worked at BB, BR and am working at the red barn prep shop in pittford (upscale mens where like canali, ravozolo, luciano barbera, etc.). So i'm pretty set there i'm looking for a more sales/marketing internship.

rlevine

Reaction score
What year are you?

I am a sophomore with a really solid resume and I am finding it difficult to get any kind of internship... hopefully it will be a lot easier junior year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads