• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internships

aybojs

Reaction score
What do you want to do in retail? Work in the buying office? Work in a store? Work with the visual department, Marketing?That will help me answer your question.

Also, there are 2 big retailers based in Houston. Foley's and Stage Stores Inc. Foley's for sure has an internship program but I am not sure about Stage Stores.
At this point I just want to get my foot in the door, get an understanding of what exactly goes on, and build from there. I want to have direct interaction with the merchandise and the market, not sit in a cubicle and look over numbers. Cautiously, I would say that buying or working in a store setting is what I'm looking for (although I'm not entirely certain that a commission job is for me yet, in the case of the latter).

One other thing that I would mention is that both my interest and knowledge are heavily skewed towards the high end market. I really want to work for a Neiman's or a Saks level retailer or a high end clother (because I know the clothes a lot better and I like them a lot more), and I was wondering if experience with lower market retailers is basically treated as worthless. If it's a must for higher level employment, I would consider a Foley's type store, but I'm wondering if my fears that doing so would relegate me to that market are justified (sorry if I sound like a snob there).

Also, if it matters I'm a history major, which I imagine may exclude me from some jobs.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why is it so damn hard to get even an entry level position in clothing retail

Insofar as the smaller shops, the answer is simple. They want to see you. They want to be able to judge your dress, your demeanor, and your sales potential. Suggestion as you're in New York: Walk into a few of them cold. (Herzfeld, Davide Cenci, Talbots and the like). When I still had my shop, I ignored resumes. I wanted the guys who had the ambition and drive to hoof it.

As far as the large corporates, wait until you have a smaller store on your resume because resumes are all they understand.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny,Mar. 17 2005,10:14
What do you want to do in retail? Â Work in the buying office? Work in a store? Work with the visual department, Marketing?That will help me answer your question. Also, there are 2 big retailers based in Houston. Â Foley's and Stage Stores Inc. Â Foley's for sure has an internship program but I am not sure about Stage Stores.
At this point I just want to get my foot in the door, get an understanding of what exactly goes on, and build from there. Â I want to have direct interaction with the merchandise and the market, not sit in a cubicle and look over numbers. Â Cautiously, I would say that buying or working in a store setting is what I'm looking for (although I'm not entirely certain that a commission job is for me yet, in the case of the latter). One other thing that I would mention is that both my interest and knowledge are heavily skewed towards the high end market. Â I really want to work for a Neiman's or a Saks level retailer or a high end clother (because I know the clothes a lot better and I like them a lot more), and I was wondering if experience with lower market retailers is basically treated as worthless. Â If it's a must for higher level employment, I would consider a Foley's type store, but I'm wondering if my fears that doing so would relegate me to that market are justified (sorry if I sound like a snob there). Also, if it matters I'm a history major, which I imagine may exclude me from some jobs.
If you want direct interaction with the merchandise and the market, then buying is what you should focus on. Â It is important that when you speak to potential employers that you have a good idea of what you want to do and why. Â For example if you tell them in an interview "I just want to get my foot in the door, get an understanding of what exactly goes on, and build from there" that is not going to get them interested. Â However, if when they ask you what you want to do you reply "I want to have direct interaction with the merchandise and the market", that shows them you know what you are looking for. Â Now granted all that may change down the road, but it is important that you can show that you have researched the job and have a good idea what you are interested in. Â Also, buying is not as glamourous as it seems. Â Market week is 4 times a year with assorted other shows and trips, but a majority of a buyers job is analyzing the business in a cubicle. You basically have a business to run and you need to figure out what sells and why and what doesn't and why. Â You have to be able to take your personal opinions and knowledge out of the equation sometimes. Â You may think Ferragamo's are crap shoes and everyone shouldn't waste their money on them. Â However, if they are your best selling shoes, you better be able to ignore your personal opinions and buy enough of them. Your job is to buy what sells. As for your interest being with high end stores that is a touchy subject for some in the industry. Â The idea is they want you to be interested in the job. Â Not interested only if you are buying men's sportswear. You use the same principles regardless of whether you are the men's suit buyer for Neiman's or you are buying Kenneth Cole sportswear for Foley's. Â I have spent most of my career working with women's apparel and in some ways it is easier then working in the men's industry. Â Women's clothing I can look at objectively and make a decision on whether something is right or not. Â My opinion on men's clothing is clouded by my own opinions and tastes. Working in a mainstream dept store will not prevent you from getting a job with Neiman's or Saks later on. Â As a matter of fact it may help you. Â At least then they will know that you are sure you are interested in a retail career after interning in Retail. Â For what it's worth, Neiman's does a decent amount of recruiting for college seniors every year. Â If they don't recruit at your school, you can always send them your resume. As for being a history major, that won't help you get any jobs in retail. Â But I was a double major in History and Psychology and look where I ended up.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Mar. 16 2005,18:47) You could always do the internship at Vitals magazine.
Does it say there are positions there? I sent them an resume and cover letter and didn't hear any response.
Someone posted the details in the "Vitals Magazine" thread

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have lots of experience in higher end retail and i want to going into the marketing/buying aspect of it. I've been working in retail for the last 3 years moving from better and better stores. T&A was the only receptive one. A few other were like you know what your talking about but we can't hire you right now. I'm trying the larger business like bloomingdales, saks, and everything which like topcat said are acutally better. The one connection i had at the May Co. is no longer there. So trying to do this on my own and get it set up at my school and start getting connections. Everyone at my career services is really pushing me to do this cause they want the connections too. Hey alex you need an intern for you shop i'm cheap and a harworker?
biggrin.gif

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have lots of experience in higher end retail and i want to going into the marketing/buying aspect of it. Â I've been working in retail for the last 3 years moving from better and better stores. Â T&A was the only receptive one. Â A few other were like you know what your talking about but we can't hire you right now. Â I'm trying the larger business like bloomingdales, saks, and everything which like topcat said are acutally better. Â The one connection i had at the May Co. is no longer there. Â So trying to do this on my own and get it set up at my school and start getting connections. Â Everyone at my career services is really pushing me to do this cause they want the connections too. Â Hey alex you need an intern for you shop i'm cheap and a harworker?
biggrin.gif
Did you fill out the application for an internship at May Co. on-line? If memory serves me correctly, those applications go directly to the person responsible for recruiting students from colleges. You can also find the name of the Manager of Executive Recruitment, who is the person you are looking for, on the web site and contact them directly.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(demeis @ Mar. 17 2005,14:58) I have lots of experience in higher end retail and i want to going into the marketing/buying aspect of it. Â I've been working in retail for the last 3 years moving from better and better stores. Â T&A was the only receptive one. Â A few other were like you know what your talking about but we can't hire you right now. Â I'm trying the larger business like bloomingdales, saks, and everything which like topcat said are acutally better. Â The one connection i had at the May Co. is no longer there. Â So trying to do this on my own and get it set up at my school and start getting connections. Â Everyone at my career services is really pushing me to do this cause they want the connections too. Â Hey alex you need an intern for you shop i'm cheap and a harworker?
biggrin.gif

Did you fill out the application for an internship at May Co. on-line? Â If memory serves me correctly, those applications go directly to the person responsible for recruiting students from colleges. Â You can also find the name of the Manager of Executive Recruitment, who is the person you are looking for, on the web site and contact them directly.
Yeh i did it for both the may co. and for bloomingdales. I need to find the info for saks and berdgof-goodman.

cjl2g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey if anyone can help me out that'd be cool

so i got offered an unpaid for school credit only internship at a huge commercial real estate brokerage firm, but they need my school to give me credits for the course. only problem is my counselor says i need to take some courses in conjunction to receive the units. so my question is are units and credit the same thing? and would the firm allow me to just take the internship without the credit (or is it some liability issue). my counselor just went on holiday so i can't ask her..
frown.gif

thx!

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjl2g
hey if anyone can help me out that'd be cool

so i got offered an unpaid for school credit only internship at a huge commercial real estate brokerage firm, but they need my school to give me credits for the course. only problem is my counselor says i need to take some courses in conjunction to receive the units. so my question is are units and credit the same thing? and would the firm allow me to just take the internship without the credit (or is it some liability issue). my counselor just went on holiday so i can't ask her..
frown.gif

thx!

I'd suggest getting in touch with another advisor in your school's student center. Finding out what those other classes are and how they relate to the internship should be one of your main focuses.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
If you want a job in fashion, at the buyer, merchandiser, marketing level, then go work at that company's retail location as a salesperson first, or even in the stockroom. This is where 90% of the corporate jobs in fashion recruit from. Once you get in a company at this level, mobility to better positions become very easy.

If you can't secure an internship, I'd higly suggest going this route.

But, some times they don't move you to a better position, esp. if you don't work near or at the flagship store near the Corp. offices. If you are good at what you do at another retial location, they like to keep you where you are, often promising that in another 6 months they will send you to corp, and when 6 months come around, they make another excuse and tell yuo to wait another 6 months.

I know someone who has been playing this game for over 4 years. They keep on throwing him bones and he keeps on taking them, but at the end of the day, he is still just a SA.

cjl2g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, apparently, i have to take a course in conjunction in order to get school credit, so i kinda have to pay around 3000 usd for the unpaid internship lol...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads