• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internships for fashion designers or magazines

A Plain White t

Reaction score
hey guys, ive been on the forum for awhile now always reading the great threads/posts and i decided to make an account.
im very interested and driven to intern or work for a fashion designer or a fashion magazine.
so onto my background information, im currently 18 i live in nyc and im going to be starting school in jan at hunter college.
ive been into fashion my whole life and i try to present myself in the best way possible with the least cost aswell.
I was beginning to think that this is my calling but many others would say so to.
I have a resume and a cover letter but Im almost positive mine is sub-par compared to those with more experience.
so far i have been searching up for internships at mens vogue and dkny but have gotten no e-mails back.
my question is, in order to get any of these internships or jobs does one have to know important people or do the average asian american like me have a chance of landing one.
cheers.

metkirk

Reaction score
I'm on the same boat as you are. I would love to spend the next summer doing a fashion internship.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you could always try Eric Glennie.
smile.gif

Cavalier

Reaction score
I don't know how being Asian American would hurt your chances, are you from another country or are you 2nd generation? Do you speak another language?

You do know the Japanese account for up to half of the "fashion houses" sales annually? China is also going to be huge emerging market in the next couple years for designer clothes.

I think at 18 and telling them "you love clothes and dressing well" you have no chance.

You don't say what you're trying to do/become ... that's something you need to think about. People don't get hired to work there just because "they like clothes".

I suspect marketing ("designer" clothes are sold not based on quality, but , marketing), sales or international business (assuming you can speak Chinese or Japanese) could get you in the door some where.

Really though, don't sweat it, even most of the well connected aren't getting big gigs at that age--- Spend the next year or two focusing on your classes, but take time to learn about how corporations operate.

Even in a year or two, getting an interview is going to be difficult, but if you make the right connections, get excellent grades and learn the right angles-- anything is possible.

Cavalier

Reaction score
You're not going to have any luck cold e-mailing them either.
teacha.gif
Honestly, if you speak another language and are creative-- you can get in-- You need the creativity to get your foot in the door, I can already think of a few ways--- but that's something you need to think of yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads