• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internship?

calvin1663

Reaction score
Hey all--

I've got an internship that starts in ~ 2 weeks (after wednesday, i'm done with finals!!!) at a wealth management firm, and was looking for tips on what to do. The guy that started it (with 2 other partners) is friends with my dad, and I've never met the guy, so it's a great deal of nepotism...I'm only 16 (most of these guys look mid-40's to 50's), so I'm not going to be making major deals or anything (I'll probably be the coffee mule), but does anyone have any tips on stuff to do (or not to do)?

thanks, calvin

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't send out sexually explicit emails to the entire firm. Don't do interviews with the NY post re: how you're such a baller. Just be respectful (probably the most important given demographics of the office) and do **** on time and you should get a good recommendation from the people.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't surf for Appreciation on the web unless you are arranging a date for one of the partners.

calvin1663

Reaction score
i sort of already knew these...anything a little less obvious?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you'd be surprised how many times people **** up by doing something that it should have been obvious to them was stupid.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean there isn't much to it. Just be respectful and you'll get by, maybe even make them happy. I think most people view internships as baby steps in your career and so usually don't assign you hard or challenging tasks. All you have to do is beat their low expectations and you're golden.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just do whatever they ask you to do that isn't illegal or that doesn't go against your personal morals.

You are an intern, know your job: whatever they say. Photocopy if they ask. If something menial needs doing, get it done.

But show you have skills so you can get a letter of recommendation.

b

calvin1663

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Just do whatever they ask you to do that isn't illegal or that doesn't go against your personal morals.

what about against someone else's morals?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

juuuuuuust kidding

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work as an intern (British Airways international operations control center). It's not hard work at all, most of my time is spent either in my cubicle posting on SF or out walking around taking pictures of the airplanes. Do whatever your supervisor/superior asks of you and don't do anything stupid/dramatic/etc and you will be just fine.

Oh, and make copies as needed. I spend a lot of my working time standing at the copier.

Congrats on your new position!

JB

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're probably not expecting you to do anything but run errants. Just do what you're asked, and learn as much as you can.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Try to finger bang the receptionist

If you really want to go far, let her finger bang you.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just be confident, and make it apparent that you are willing to do more than your required tasks. Take some initiative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 66 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 31 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads