• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internship offer choice- Please help!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking this site under a different username for awhile and I know the wealth of experience here and I have an urgent question that maybe someone can answer. I go to a top 20 undergrad, finance major, and Im interning during the summer. I currently have an exploding offer from Company A (PM me if you want to know). However, I feel that maybe company B would be for a better career path. I currently have a second round with company B. Company A offers housing in NYC and around 10k. Its a respectable company with a Finance aspect. Company B is in consulting. Both are Fortune 500 companies. It would cost me to fly to Company B's location. However the deadline to Company A is soon, Company B's 2nd round is also next week and they tell you the day after. I know its kind of vauge, PM me with more details. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated
laugh.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Explain to company A that you want to explore all of your options. Ask them for more time to decide. Await answer and go from there.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Explain to company A that you want to explore all of your options. Ask them for more time to decide. Await answer and go from there.

I don't think that's going to work. These offers explode for a reason. They've got spots to fill and they could give two ***** about your schedule.

I don't know what your situation is exactly, or how much these internships lead into real jobs, and that plays a lot into the decision. However,

I am inclined to say that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. The company A internship sounds pretty good and if you're not tied to it as a career going forward it will still be a valuable asset on your resume. It is just an internship, after all - not what you have to spend the rest of your life doing.

That said, if there is a strong correlation between the internship and future employment, you have to take the longer view. There is nothing so valuable as really enjoying your career. If you would hate life working in Company A's field but would love Company B's, and you can afford the risk, financially and otherwise, of missing out on a good internship this year and maybe beyond, then I'd encourage you to take your chances.

Really, it's up to you, but those are the considerations I'd have in your shoes.

MrKaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS

I agree.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If anything, going to company B and asking them to accelerate you a little bit is a much better option than the other way around.

Company A is going to say "so wait, what, you don't really want to work for us? You're looking to see if something better comes along?" They're going to tell you your offer just exploded the minute you asked the question.

You have a much better story to tell Company B. "I really want to work for you but I have to consider the possibility it won't work out. I'm willing to fly out early if you can give me a decision two days sooner."

Reaction score
I sent an email to Company A saying that I want to make a full informed decision and that I was exploring my options and wished to complete all my pending interviews, which was true. I feel that 2 weeks is a short time for an offer, I thought 1 month was standard.

Even if I got company B im not sure I would take it 100%. Company A is attractive, I want to know Comapny B's package.

I hope I didnt come off as making company A a backup because it is not. Do you think what I said was wrong?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I don't think that's going to work. These offers explode for a reason. They've got spots to fill and they could give two ***** about your schedule. I don't know what your situation is exactly, or how much these internships lead into real jobs, and that plays a lot into the decision. However, I am inclined to say that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. The company A internship sounds pretty good and if you're not tied to it as a career going forward it will still be a valuable asset on your resume. It is just an internship, after all - not what you have to spend the rest of your life doing. That said, if there is a strong correlation between the internship and future employment, you have to take the longer view. There is nothing so valuable as really enjoying your career. If you would hate life working in Company A's field but would love Company B's, and you can afford the risk, financially and otherwise, of missing out on a good internship this year and maybe beyond, then I'd encourage you to take your chances. Really, it's up to you, but those are the considerations I'd have in your shoes.
That's a possible answer. Go from there. Edit: Douglas' option may work as well with the added bonus that there is no risk of losing out on A.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UsernameInternsearch
I sent an email to Company A saying that I want to make a full informed decision and that I was exploring my options and wished to complete all my pending interviews, which was true. I feel that 2 weeks is a short time for an offer, I thought 1 month was standard.

Even if I got company B im not sure I would take it 100%. Company A is attractive, I want to know Comapny B's package.

I hope I didnt come off as making company A a backup because it is not. Do you think what I said was wrong?

As said, I don't think so. There is the slight risk they will rescind the offer. Hardly seems professional though. So they have three possible responses with the last one being less than likely, imo:

a) take the time,
b) answer in the timeframe planned or
c) go to hell.

Afterwards you may proceed with the answer given. May be when given answer b you'll be outraged at their unreasonability. Or decide B isn't worth the risk. You decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads