• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internet vs Brick&Mortar

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Do you depend more on internet or going to real stores for most of your gear purchases?

if the internet didnt exist, would a bunch of you guys be wearing whatever your local bumfuck mall had to offer?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of what I get is via online stores. Well, with the stuff that Target has stocked the last few months I bought piles of things from there but that is more an abherration for me. Tucson is a sartorial wasteland, ironically surrounded by a Sonoran desert teeming with wildlife
smile.gif

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have'nt bought anything in a mall in almost 2 years. All my clothing is purchased online. It's more convenient, plus I can research and compare prices extensively.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I probably buy 80% of my stuff from online and 20% from B&M stores. There is pretty good shopping in the greater LA area and I am in NY a fair amount as well. That said, having a very normal size (44 jackets, 34-36 waist, L knits, 17" collar) I find great value in shopping online as nearly everything fits me off the rack and most stores have a lot of stock in my sizes, with the exception of esoteric SF-targeted vendors that normally stock smaller sizes.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
B&M wherever possible--I hate not being able to try something on before I buy it. But Philly's options are limited and I'm not in NYC *that* often, so I frequently end up buying online, as long as a place has a good return policy, or when I trust the brand's sizing.

Max

Reaction score
It's usually brick and mortar for me. I'll get technology, accessories, or shoes online; but I like to be able to actually try a garment on before I buy it unless I already own it (I've got a bunch of vintage le tigre polo shirts I bought online).

Edit: I should also note that I live right near NYC, so I've got access to pretty much everything I could want. I'd shop online more if I was out in the middle of nowhere.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equal parts. If it's a jean that I know my size in, I'll get it online from one of our affiliates. Same with a piece that I've tried on at a B&M, but know that an affiliate carries (like the Wings & Horns shooter jacket - tried on at American Rag, got from Peasant). I'll do phone orders too, from a store where I don't know the proprietor (like Odin) only if I am getting a piece I am very sure about. With retailers at which I have a personal relationship with the proprietor, I'm willing be a little more adventurous.

Hats I would never buy online. Sneakers, I occasionally will get something from Zappos if I saw the shoes in a B&M and liked them, but were out of my size. Proper shoes I will occasionally get online if the deal is unbeatable (like my Costume National boots for uner $50 from Yoox).

Most of my purchases (I am looking at what I am wearing now) I will get from a brick and mortar. My scarf, belt, shoes, gloves, hat, jacket, were all tried on and bought at a B&M (well, the jacket I tried on, went back home from SF, found myself regretting not having bought it, and then phone ordered it, but essentially, it was a B&M purchase - tax + shipping fee, which more or less evened out). Hoodie was from Odin, but I knew exactly what I was looking for and was about 90% sure of how *exactly* it would fit based on past experiences with the brand. Jeans I knew pretty much exactly how they would fit too, and I got them from the Denim Bar.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Internet. Try living in West Virginia. You become intimate with the net. On the other hand my brother lives in Brooklyn so when I visit I try on as much as possible for size reference.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and btw, I'm asking Styleforumites to boycott Active. They screwed Styleforum out of six months of affiliate commissions, and made tens of thousands of dollars off of references from this site. It's not cool to not pay your bills, especially when you are deriving a real benefit.

Screw you Drew Davis (Active CEO,) get in the ******* ring.

fatty

Reaction score
i've never bought clothes on the internet. I'd rather take the time to go shopping and find it. Sydney good shopping place, so it's not a problem!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Oh, and btw, I'm asking Styleforumites to boycott Active. They screwed Styleforum out of six months of affiliate commissions, and made tens of thousands of dollars off of references from this site. It's not cool to not pay your bills, especially when you are deriving a real benefit.

Woah, that is NOT good business. Bastards.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

If I had decided the other way and picked up a pair of jeans from them, I would be sending an email right now demanding that SF's share be returned to me, or sent to the forvm. Bump 'em. Tom

Oltmann

Reaction score
Sunglasses are the one thing I will never buy over the net. Maybe some cheapo pair on ebay on a whim, but not otherwise.

That is the cost of having such a robust protuberance.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
About 90% B&M since I'm in Socal, the few things I've ordered online almost all I was dissatisfied with since I couldn't feel, try on etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads