• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internet buying blunders

Histrion

Reaction score
I just received this Paul Smith shirt which quite different from what I had expected. Being a francophone, sometimes I don't quite get the meaning of some english expressions as they are totally unknown to me. Now, that was one of these occasions.

So two weeks ago I ordered a magnificient blue, white and green striped shirt from SCOOP NYC. Since they won't do international shipping, I had it shipped to a friend, in Calumet, Michigan, who then shipped it to me. I was awaiting this shirt with some very high expectations... only to find me shocked when I noticed that it didn't have any collar! Oh, well, yeah... it has a god damn Nero collar! I didn't know why they called it a 'Nero shirt', especially as the monitor on the computer I was using at the time of the order was pretty bad and I didn't see any of the shirt details.

Have any of you guys made something similar at one point? Or I am the only one that is often... distracted?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They meant "Nehru" collar, after the Indian statesman who popularized a particular style of band collar, which is the generic term. There are variants of both the type of collar and the name: the Mao collar, the Mandarin Collar, Yoox calls it everything like this a "Chinese" collar. In fact, they are all somewhat different, but most people would be hard pressed to tell the differences, which are subtle. It would be like asking some random guy, completely uninterested in fashion, to tell the difference between a cutaway, semi-spread, and point collar, except that the names are less descriptive
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Histrion
I just received this Paul Smith shirt which quite different from what I had expected. Being a francophone, sometimes I don't quite get the meaning of some english expressions as they are totally unknown to me. Now, that was one of these occasions.

So two weeks ago I ordered a magnificient blue, white and green striped shirt from SCOOP NYC. Since they won't do international shipping, I had it shipped to a friend, in Calumet, Michigan, who then shipped it to me. I was awaiting this shirt with some very high expectations... only to find me shocked when I noticed that it didn't have any collar! Oh, well, yeah... it has a god damn Nero collar! I didn't know why they called it a 'Nero shirt', especially as the monitor on the computer I was using at the time of the order was pretty bad and I didn't see any of the shirt details.

Have any of you guys made something similar at one point? Or I am the only one that is often... distracted?

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
They meant "Nehru" collar, after the Indian statesman who popularized a particular style of band collar, which is the generic term. There are variants of both the type of collar and the name: the Mao collar, the Mandarin Collar, Yoox calls it everything like this a "Chinese" collar. In fact, they are all somewhat different, but most people would be hard pressed to tell the differences, which are subtle. It would be like asking some random guy, completely uninterested in fashion, to tell the difference between a cutaway, semi-spread, and point collar, except that the names are less descriptive
smile.gif

The only term I have heard in QuÃ
00a9.png
bec is 'col Mao', a Mao collar, obviously. I had never heard of a 'Nehru collar'. Thanks for the informations though. I sure won't get fooled again. I just wonder if there's anything I could wear that with so it wouldn't look stupid. But I can't think of anything, really.
blush.gif

So, anybody else has a little story to share?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only term I have heard in QuÃ
00a9.png
bec is 'col Mao', a Mao collar, obviously. I had never heard of a 'Nehru collar'. Thanks for the informations though. I sure won't get fooled again. I just wonder if there's anything I could wear that with so it wouldn't look stupid. But I can't think of anything, really.
blush.gif

So, anybody else has a little story to share?

For what it's worth, I think that band collar shirts look pretty cool nearly completely unbuttoned, and definitely untucked, with some relaxed military pants, and a pair of sneakers, on a summer weekend. Sort of a young man's take on Old Man style. Just don't wear it tucked into jeans with a sportscoat unless you are a member of the Flock of Seagulls.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scoop is pretty bad about descriptions on their website. For example, I bought a shirt there once that was merely called "Paul Smith" on their website, which would make someone familiar with the brand expect it to be a mainline Paul Smith shirt, with the attendant details. It was, however, from the diffusion line PS Paul Smith. I still like the shirt, but I would prefer more honesty in advertising.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Scoop is pretty bad about descriptions on their website. For example, I bought a shirt there once that was merely called "Paul Smith" on their website, which would make someone familiar with the brand expect it to be a mainline Paul Smith shirt, with the attendant details. It was, however, from the diffusion line PS Paul Smith. I still like the shirt, but I would prefer more honesty in advertising.

I doubt that they are being dishonest. My experience is that the people running the web part of the business are nice, but not particularly educated about their product. I always check the retail prices to figure out stuff like the above.

Histrion

Reaction score
The shirt was marked Paul Smith and it was, too, a PS Paul Smith. I didn't know it was only a diffusion line though. I should have figured out as I have t-shirts from that brand, though they were quite pricey for some tees. I assume that the Paul Smith London is the 'true' line though; I have a pair of trousers from that brand.

LA Guy: thanks for the advice. I had actually considered this option, just not with the military pants. I don't have any of these. It could be a rather cool look, but I would have to be confident with that and I am not as it is, especially as jeans aren't looking particularly well with that look, at least not my SC 47's repros. Perhaps military pants would pull it off better, I guess I'd have to buy some to know.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had actually considered this option, just not with the military pants. I don't have any of these. It could be a rather cool look, but I would have to be confident with that and I am not as it is, especially as jeans aren't looking particularly well with that look, at least not my SC 47's repros. Perhaps military pants would pull it off better, I guess I'd have to buy some to know.

No way dark repros are going to work for that look. I would say that you need something relaxed and light colored like the old Kratt flattened wash, i.e. something you would wear to the beach and not look out of place. I would say that military pants (and make sure that they are not too fitted - relaxed is key) are the best option. And natural colored Chucks, maybe.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buttons are the key. To separate PS, London and Paul Smith, the latter has unmarked MOP buttons.

!luc

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
The buttons are the key. To separate PS, London and Paul Smith, the latter has unmarked MOP buttons.

!luc

Problem is that you can't see that level of detail on photos on the site.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I assume that the Paul Smith London is the 'true' line though; I have a pair of trousers from that brand.

London is the "businesswear" line, mid-range. The "true" line is the white label mainline. As Luc said, shirt buttons are unmarked MoP. I like a lot of the PS line, moreso than "London"....it mirrors the mainline a bit more, just without the extra quality and details

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Problem is that you can't see that level of detail on photos on the site.
Ok. I usually can tell from yoox pictures though. I never really looked at scoop.

PS Paul Smith is an interesting line though, a bit more wearable than a lot of mainline items (which are more sophisticated), and without the ugly markup too. I really like the floral designs used in PS shirts but the pants/suits/jackets lack quality and workmanship.

!luc

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My biggest "hmmmm" was from ebay. A vintage 60s red leather jacket. It looked really cool in the multiple pics, but it's cut really short, almost to the point maybe I thought I bought a woman's jacket. But the tag sizing indicates a man's sizing....guess it's just the style of its cut. And it's a BRIGHT firetruck red. I even tried antiquing it with navy shoe cream to dull the color a tad. Still not sure if this jacket is ever gonna get worn outside, where I'll be seen.

havent had any blunders from official online retail sites.........yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads