Internal Consulting VS External.. Whcih one for the Long Term

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by monad2000, Jun 26, 2013.

1. monad2000

monad2000 New Member

Hi,

I was interested to see if you thought a internal consulting role at a company like 100+ billion dollar company vs. a management consulting role like PWC or Accenture. I was interested to which one is best for a career 3 years from now in Marketing or Business Development and if one is better how much better...

Any help would be amazing

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

2. Gobbo

Gobbo Member

Need to know more about your background first. Having worked with tons of consultants and consultancies over the course of my career I can tell you with certainty it all comes down to experience.

3. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

we definitely need more information in this case (ie. what type of industry this company is in, etc.)...

i work in a strategy/consulting type role internally and the projects you'll have will largely be dependent on the department and the current growth phase of the company.

also, expect to travel less than "real" consultants

4. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

Classic consulting answer: it depends [​IMG]

In general I'd say a job in a dedicated consulting firm will wear you out a lot faster. Longer hours, more travel. On the plus side: good variety of projects, awesome learning curve.

Usually people rather transition from client consulting to internal consulting (if they stay in this field).