• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intermittent fasting, anyone doing it?

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I am. I'm more or less doing lean gains. Does anyone here have any long term experience with it. A lot of the reviews online are people trying to sell you their way of doing it. I'm interested in real results.

enjoiii

Reaction score
I've been doing it for several months now and have been very pleased with my results. I don't follow any particular program but generally fast for 16 - 17 hours with my last meal being around 8 pm and not eating until 1 pm the next day. I usually also have at least one 24 hour fast during the week.

I think you need to do what works for your schedule and listen to your body. I have really liked that I don't feel so controlled by the need to eat anymore, after you fast for a while you realize that you aren't going to die of starvation. You also feel less hungry as you get your body off this internal clock of expecting food every 4 or 5 hours.

Nafets47

Reaction score
I have been at mine for about 1 week and I am seeing results. Not as fast as I would hope, but the wife loves the change.

I went from a 36 waist to a 35 in a week, my chest went from a 41.5 to a 40.5 and my abdominals are starting to show quite well.

I am going to keep at it for about 1 month and see how it goes, and like the gent above me said it is really nice having full control of the body and not "needing to eat."

However, a word of caution - plan what it is that you are going to eat and have it ready by the time you are going to eat so you do not freak out and eat everything in sight.

Lastly, I would take before and progression shots so you can see your gains. I didn't and I wish I did.

imposterjon

Reaction score
What sort of cut are you aiming for with this, and is Berkhan still the best resource?

Reaction score
I have been doing intermittent fasting for about 3.5 years. The benefits are manifold: better brain chemistry (neurognesis and bdnf production), better blood chemistry (lipid profile, inflammation, insulin sensitivity), body weight management, increased lifespan (at least in laboratory animals), and hgh production. (Hgh is used to metabolize fat.)

Right when I started, I didn't need my glasses- my vision was perfect. My correction is -3.25 diopters. Unfortunately that didn't last. I attribute it to a boost in hgh, making the ciliary muscles in my eyes work better.

Last edited:

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
@89826 Thanks for the feedback. I have loved the results as well. I have been operating at a deficit, which I've never been able to do so easily. Plus being on a three meal a day schedule just works. The discipline has been highly beneficial. I have been doing IF since probably mid January. Early February I really committed. I'm hoping to see the results you have seen.

@imposterjon I would say he is a leading authority. His method, lean gains, is very popular. There are others who are also marketing his approach now.

@Nafets47 I wouldn't imagine after a week you would have much for results. The only thing I've ever seen results from in a couple weeks is carb cycling at very low caloric intake. That isn't really healthy long term.

@enjoiii I do a 16 hour fast, usually. Sometimes I'll go 18 and just do two meals. The meals are more enjoyable that way, as I take in more calories.

1907jb

Reaction score
When I first started, I lost 15-20lbs in 2 months without changing what I ate or how I exercised.

FWIW, I also quit smoking at the same time, which should have resulted in weight gain, not loss, due to the returning sense of smell/taste/appetite.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do it. Sometimes, I spend at least 23 hours a day not eating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads