• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting views on hoodies

benchan

Reaction score
David Cameron has defended his call for more understanding of why young people commit crime - and rejected suggestions he wants people to "hug a hoodie".
The Conservative leader said he wanted "to understand what's gone wrong in these children's lives".

In a separate speech on Monday he also called for police to do more crime fighting and less form filling.

But Home Office Minister Tony McNulty dismissed the Tory leader's approach as "vacuous" and "wash-and-go politics".

Family breakdown

In a speech on social justice, Mr Cameron claimed teenagers who hide under hooded tops are trying to "blend in" rather than appear threatening.

Hooded tops - known as hoodies - have come to be viewed by some as a symbol of social disorder.

Earlier Mr Cameron told BBC Breakfast he was still tough on crime. "Of course people who commit crime should be held responsible.

Adult society's response to the hoodie shows how far we are from finding the long-term answers to put things right
David Cameron

"But I think people want their politicians to ask the question: 'What is it that brought that young person to commit that crime at that time? What's the background to it, what are the long-term causes of crime?'

"If you're ill, it's no good putting a sticking plaster on it. You've got to get to the bottom of the illness.

"Let's try and understand what's gone wrong in these children's lives and we'll find it's about family breakdown, it's about drugs, it's about alcohol abuse, often it's young people who are brought up in care when they should be in loving homes.

"Let's now deal with those problems. That doesn't mean at the same we can't be tough when a crime is committed."

Pen pushers?

In his speech, he insisted: "We - the people in suits - often see hoodies as aggressive, the uniform of a rebel army of young gangsters.

"But hoodies are more defensive than offensive. They're a way to stay invisible in the street. In a dangerous environment the best thing to do is keep your head down, blend in."

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benchan
"We - the people in suits - often see hoodies as aggressive, the uniform of a rebel army of young gangsters."

Does anyone *actually* feel this way who was born after 1945?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Does anyone *actually* feel this way who was born after 1945?
www.askandyaboutclothes.com ....
peepwall[1].gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
www.askandyaboutclothes.com

peepwall[1].gif

The best part is, I **** you not, I literally started to edit my post about 30 minutes after I posted it to say "...besides the AAAC guys, I mean", then decided I shouldn't make edits that late in the game. I want credit for the assist.
biggrin.gif

theshonen8899

Reaction score
If you're wearing your hood I can understand but why flame the beloved hoodies T_T

Wade M

Reaction score
That's a pretty crazy way of looking at current society. Seeing the hoodie as a response to initially crime-related activites, but in recent years has shifted to a defensive role (I can personally attest to getting 'invisible' treatment when wearing a hoodie).

It's saying that people now wear a hoodie because they get this invisible treatment, they seek it. They want to look at why people want to get this treatment as it is a problem with society that is being seen through the wearing of a hoodie.

**** man, that's some complex ****! Is AAAC always this detailed/philiosophical? (someone who reads it more plz lmk).

--Wade

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wade M
**** man, that's some complex ****! Is AAAC always this detailed/philiosophical? (someone who reads it more plz lmk).
If by "philosophical" you mean "having a small but inordinately vocal contingent who fap to Tucker Carlson and whose monocles drop out at the thought of wearing denim" then yes, it's a hotbed of philosophical discourse.

Wade M

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
If by "philosophical" you mean "having a small but inordinately vocal contingent who fap to Tucker Carlson and whose monocles drop out at the thought of wearing denim" then yes, it's a hotbed of philosophical discourse.

Ouch man, that's nastly hot! I take it the hoodies was more of an exception to the rules (I take it these guys actually create rules?)

--Wade

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wade M
Ouch man, that's nastly hot! I take it the hoodies was more of an exception to the rules (I take it these guys actually create rules?)
Most of the posters there are fine. Like any other forum, though, it has trolls, wish-fulfillment avatars ("well, I have a closet full of Alden shell cordovan ... it's scuffed, of course, and the loafers are repaired with white athletic tape because I'm just that insouciant"), and a few utter lunatics who lose their ******* minds when they see old men wearing work clothing to a rural funeral, or when they aren't spontaneously fellated by the sales staff at the Brooks Brothers flagship store.

Newton

Reaction score
My girlfriend likes to wear hoodies when she doesn't dress up.

She doesn't look too bad, shopping at the supermarket. They're quite feminine. When she told me she had hoodies which she loved to wear, I had the same horror feeling. But it looks nice.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I love you.

familyman

Reaction score
Somebody has been reading the Trad forum! Good to know we're noticed.
wink.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
More smileys to let you know that I laughed a lot at the truth in this AA talk.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads