Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Interesting reading for all you shirtaholics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davei, Jan 13, 2003.

1. davei

davei Senior member

"Shirtmaking" by David Coffin - I received this book as a Christmas gift and have been studying it off and on the pas few weeks. The author goes into amazing detail on the construction/creation of a modern day dress shirt (also delving into a bit of the historical details), beginning with material types to cuffs, collars, yokes, plackets, and so on. If you ever wondered what's the difference between a $50 store brand and a three c-note Borrelli, this book will give you some idea. It's real interesting even if you have no sewing skills at all - he does use a Brooks Brothers shirt as an (arbitrary) "baseline" in the beginning though [​IMG]. Another book I received: "Classic Tailoring Techniques - A Construction Guide for Men's Wear" by Roberto Cabrera (assistant prof at FIT). It's more of a textbook (I saw it in a college bookstore) so the writing is a bit obtuse at times, and the model looks like he's from the '70s. Lots of practical information for regular folks here as well - if you've ever wondered what goes into making a great (or some would say "proper") suit, the potential for alterations, or most importantly, the fit (good/bad) of a suit, it's in here. Again the most fascinating thing to me is the level of detail _inside_ a suit and the little things that can enhance or destory the fit. Can anyone else here recommend good "construction" type books? I know there are lots for womenswear (I have a copy of "Couture Sewing Techniques" on order) but hardly any for menswear, especially ones that aren't too textbook-ish.