• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting read today in Financial Times about shaving

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
ll

SamSpade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e78be476-f...#axzz17HyE8xms

Meh, I honestly don't buy it. Sounds like a semi-disguised ad, paid under the table.
I have a sensitive skin too, and used to think a lot about what combination of products to use. But eventually I acquired the nagging suspicion that this is all useless, overpriced crap. I switched to the cheapest razors, foam, and aftershave I could possibly find, and my sensitive skin is doing fine. Maybe it's not pink and supple as a baby's butt, but I haven't noticed any effects adverse enough to merit spending any amount of thinking on shaving products. Maybe I'll change again in the future, but this type of testimonial mostly makes me roll my eyes.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamSpade
Meh, I honestly don't buy it. Sounds like a semi-disguised ad, paid under the table.
I have a sensitive skin too, and used to think a lot about what combination of products to use. But eventually I acquired the nagging suspicion that this is all useless, overpriced crap. I switched to the cheapest razors, foam, and aftershave I could possibly find, and my sensitive skin is doing fine. Maybe it's not pink and supple as a baby's butt, but I haven't noticed any effects adverse enough to merit spending any amount of thinking on shaving products. Maybe I'll change again in the future, but this type of testimonial mostly makes me roll my eyes.

You really think so? FT has high credibility so I doubt it. Maybe if it were a local magazine or newspaper, then it could be a possiblity, but youre talking about the Financial Times here.

But I agree with you that there are TONS of overpriced crap out there. However, there is also overpriced crap that is god's crap....the best **** out there and much better than that cheap **** you are using right now now.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The day I use 5 products just to shave is the day I stop shaving.

Give me some barbasol and moisturizer.

pruppert

Reaction score
I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of spraying one's face with/the idea of a product called, "Energy Mist."

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

With ya on the first. Not so much on the barbasol, though.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pruppert
I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of spraying one's face with/the idea of a product called, "Energy Mist."

I dogg'ed on this product earlier before using it because it looks like it should come with batteries! However, I actually bought one and the product rocks!

Theory

Reaction score
That energy mist business is pretty silly. Snake oil if you ask me, like many products these days. Water + Kyoku + Safety Razor + Moisturizer. You don't need pre-pre-pre-shave oil + pre-shave energizing mist + pre-shave facialfromthepoolboy + shave + 800 post shave balms/moisturizers/protectors.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Same here. I like to keep it simple, but not Barbasol.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score

If you read in between the lines, using all those products is not just for shaving. Its for general maintenance on your skin with shaving tacked on to it. Nothing wrong with educating a man about how to take care of your skin. Your skin is your appearance and people skimp out on spending money for their face but rather spend money for new belts or stupid straps for their watches.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Theory
That energy mist business is pretty silly. Snake oil if you ask me, like many products these days.

Water + Kyoku + Safety Razor + Moisturizer.

Never tried the Kyoku cream. You know where I can get a sample?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics