• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Interesting read today in Financial Times about shaving

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,511
Reaction score
12,028
After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
ll
 

SamSpade

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
840
Reaction score
58
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e78be476-f...#axzz17HyE8xms



Meh, I honestly don't buy it. Sounds like a semi-disguised ad, paid under the table.
I have a sensitive skin too, and used to think a lot about what combination of products to use. But eventually I acquired the nagging suspicion that this is all useless, overpriced crap. I switched to the cheapest razors, foam, and aftershave I could possibly find, and my sensitive skin is doing fine. Maybe it's not pink and supple as a baby's butt, but I haven't noticed any effects adverse enough to merit spending any amount of thinking on shaving products. Maybe I'll change again in the future, but this type of testimonial mostly makes me roll my eyes.
 

OakCreekHitter

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by SamSpade
Meh, I honestly don't buy it. Sounds like a semi-disguised ad, paid under the table.
I have a sensitive skin too, and used to think a lot about what combination of products to use. But eventually I acquired the nagging suspicion that this is all useless, overpriced crap. I switched to the cheapest razors, foam, and aftershave I could possibly find, and my sensitive skin is doing fine. Maybe it's not pink and supple as a baby's butt, but I haven't noticed any effects adverse enough to merit spending any amount of thinking on shaving products. Maybe I'll change again in the future, but this type of testimonial mostly makes me roll my eyes.


You really think so? FT has high credibility so I doubt it. Maybe if it were a local magazine or newspaper, then it could be a possiblity, but youre talking about the Financial Times here.

But I agree with you that there are TONS of overpriced crap out there. However, there is also overpriced crap that is god's crap....the best shit out there and much better than that cheap shit you are using right now now.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,830
Reaction score
31
The day I use 5 products just to shave is the day I stop shaving.

Give me some barbasol and moisturizer.
 

pruppert

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2008
Messages
193
Reaction score
0
I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of spraying one's face with/the idea of a product called, "Energy Mist."
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The day I use 5 products just to shave is the day I stop shaving.

Give me some barbasol and moisturizer.


With ya on the first. Not so much on the barbasol, though.
 

OakCreekHitter

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by pruppert
I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of spraying one's face with/the idea of a product called, "Energy Mist."

I dogg'ed on this product earlier before using it because it looks like it should come with batteries! However, I actually bought one and the product rocks!
 

Theory

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
That energy mist business is pretty silly. Snake oil if you ask me, like many products these days. Water + Kyoku + Safety Razor + Moisturizer. You don't need pre-pre-pre-shave oil + pre-shave energizing mist + pre-shave facialfromthepoolboy + shave + 800 post shave balms/moisturizers/protectors.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The day I use 5 products just to shave is the day I stop shaving.

Give me some barbasol and moisturizer.

Same here. I like to keep it simple, but not Barbasol.
 

OakCreekHitter

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The day I use 5 products just to shave is the day I stop shaving.

Give me some barbasol and moisturizer.


If you read in between the lines, using all those products is not just for shaving. Its for general maintenance on your skin with shaving tacked on to it. Nothing wrong with educating a man about how to take care of your skin. Your skin is your appearance and people skimp out on spending money for their face but rather spend money for new belts or stupid straps for their watches.
 

OakCreekHitter

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Theory
That energy mist business is pretty silly. Snake oil if you ask me, like many products these days.

Water + Kyoku + Safety Razor + Moisturizer.


Never tried the Kyoku cream. You know where I can get a sample?
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 88 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 161 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 81 16.0%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 31 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.6%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 11 2.2%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.6%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 31 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,620
Messages
9,202,146
Members
193,226
Latest member
tung1998ndvn

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top