• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting medical conditions where a steak is beneficial

someoneNew

Reaction score
A year or so ago on the Discovery channel there was a man who was backpacking in central or southern America and somehow got a worm or larva in the skin of his belly. Apparently it grew and grew for months and there was a noticeable bump on the surface of the skin where this grub was. I guess this type of larva comes to the surface of it's host maybe once a day or so then goes back under the skin making it hard to capture. He wanted to get it out alive and so he put a steak over the insect and it crawled through his skin up through the steak and he was able to capture it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to be sick.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I think I am going to be sick.

Yeah, there are certainly some better examples that are less vomit-inducing.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hear it can help a black eye. I remember in some movie Frank Sinatra got punched in the eye, went into a restaurant and ordered a raw steak to put on his eye, and hilarity ensued with the parsley that comes with it no matter what.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS. Does anyone else find j's avatar strangely hypnotic, or is it just me? Worse than Javyn's wacko woman, even.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems to move in time with what I'm listening to.

stach

Reaction score
It's weird but I don't dislike it. Years ago I got an eye injury so I called the local hospital for advice and the orderly told me to put a cold steak over it. Cold placed over trauma for the first 24 hours reduces swelling and the steak conforms to your body shape.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
can lambchop or porkchop do the trick, you know, for the black eye?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
can lambchop or porkchop do the trick, you know, for the black eye?

How about veal
devil.gif
?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Steak is great for iron, which runners use up quickly.

Then again runners love fritos, beer, and chocolate. Actually, any food will do, steak kind of falls into the "health food" category.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
How about veal
devil.gif
?

If it's about the cold, a bag of peas should work just as well . . .

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
A year or so ago on the Discovery channel there was a man who was backpacking in central or southern America and somehow got a worm or larva in the skin of his belly. Apparently it grew and grew for months and there was a noticeable bump on the surface of the skin where this grub was. I guess this type of larva comes to the surface of it's host maybe once a day or so then goes back under the skin making it hard to capture. He wanted to get it out alive and so he put a steak over the insect and it crawled through his skin up through the steak and he was able to capture it.
So did he have to strap it on or something, or just tuck it into his belt?

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
So did he have to strap it on or something, or just tuck it into his belt?

The bug was just above his belly button, and he said it came to the surface at night time. He said he just laid on his back with the steak centered over the insect while in bed. He thought of it as his pet since it didn't hurt/bother him and even had a pet name for it, I want to say it was some type of fly...

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
The bug was just above his belly button, and he said it came to the surface at night time. He said he just laid on his back with the steak centered over the insect while in bed. He thought of it as his pet since it didn't hurt/bother him and even had a pet name for it, I want to say it was some type of fly...
Um, yeah. Having some sort of insect larvae burrowing through your flesh doesn't sound like it would hurt at all . . .
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads