• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Knife Making Video

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
bob kramer knives are hella expensive tho

Indeed. Pretty damn nice, though. An 8" knife is $2400.

Lorena Bobbit could probably do well in this field.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna get my Global right now and see how it performs in those same kind of tests... I will keep you guys posted.
smile.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Gonna get my Global right now and see how it performs in those same kind of tests... I will keep you guys posted.
smile.gif

I'm guessing it won't end well.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It chipped.
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'm guessing it won't end well.

It chipped.
frown.gif

laugh.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It chipped.
frown.gif

man, I never would have guessed.

The knife geek in me wonders what alloy Kramer uses in his knives to cut through a bolt and not chip. VG-10 comes to mind, but the last time I looked it's a Japan-specific alloy and seldom - if ever - exported.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
man, I never would have guessed.

The knife geek in me wonders what alloy Kramer uses in his knives to cut through a bolt and not chip. VG-10 comes to mind, but the last time I looked it's a Japan-specific alloy and seldom - if ever - exported.

It's not so much the steel that matters though D2, 154CM, S30V are good choices for a bolt cutter knife. LOL. It's more a question of what blade profile and heat treatment is applied to the blade. A chisel ground blade in D2 steel hardened and tempered to around 58C will cut through mild steel with little blade damage. If the same blade were hollow ground the edge would be completely destroyed in that same test.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
It's not so much the steel that matters though D2, 154CM, S30V are good choices for a bolt cutter knife. LOL. It's more a question of what blade profile and heat treatment is applied to the blade. A chisel ground blade in D2 steel hardened and tempered to around 58C will cut through mild steel with little blade damage. If the same blade were hollow ground the edge would be completely destroyed in that same test.

Yep. A good example of these concepts is the traditionally made katana . Despite their (overblown) reputation as being the sharpest, hardest blades ever made, they are actually made from crappy raw material because Japan does not have a good source of iron ore. All of the aesthetics and activities in the blade (the visible folds, existence/shape of the transition line between the edge and spine) are a side effect of the process needed to make chicken salad from chicken ****. The steel has to be folded to distribute carbon throughout the structure (hence the folded blade), and is differentially heat treated with a hard edge and soft spine (hence the curved shape and visible "temper" or transition line), and ground to finish with an "appleseed" (or Moran) profile that balances sharpness with edge support.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads