• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting interview comment on my suit

The Transporter

Reaction score
So I had an interview yesterday for a recruiting coordinator position. I'd never heard of the company before the recruiter called me the other day so just wore the basic interview uniform of charcoal 2B suit with side vents, white regular cuff shirt, solid red textured tie, and black derbys (sorry, don't have any black oxfords yet). Left off the French cuffs and pocket square to be as inconspicuous as possible.

It ended up being a jeans day so I was a little overdressed compared to everyone else. Anyway, I met with the recruiter and then her boss, the director of recruiting. At one point he commented that I looked like I'm ready for an executive recruiter position by the way I was dressed. Guess they normally don't get SFites in for interviews
smile.gif

Won't know the outcome for a week or so since they just started interviewing so see how it goes.

sspikey

Reaction score
Yup i absolutely love that feeling. I am rather young at 23 to be working in the backoffice division of one of canada's biggest bank and made it a point to always be dressed as if i was ready for an executive job and the results have been fantastic compared to my peers which do not take that sort of thing seriously.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sspikey
Yup i absolutely love that feeling. I am rather young at 23 to be working in the backoffice division of one of canada's biggest bank and made it a point to always be dressed as if i was ready for an executive job and the results have been fantastic compared to my peers which do not take that sort of thing seriously.

this is been my experience in a way, its a bit of a strange psychological thing, but basically people tend to treat you how you are dressed.

vawmalum

Reaction score
Isn't the saying "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have"

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
And have your brains raked?
And pulled out through your nose?
laugh.gif
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to say so I just smiled. I didn't think I was that dressed up but I guess when someone walks in with a suit that's tailored to actually fit I would look more dressed up. And the whole dress for success and the job you want play into it as well. And I know most people outside this forum would think I was weird but I was almost a bit disappointed when I saw everyone wearing jeans and thought it was their culture being a software company. I was hoping to being able to wear my new suits to work everyday rather than having to go out and buy a bunch of jeans. He said you can tell what department people work in just by the way they're dressed with the marketing and programming people dressing down a bit more. Guess I could get away with dressing better being in HR/Recruiting. I don't know what to say but I love wearing suits and I look really good in them. Guess that's why I'm on this site.

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
this is been my experience in a way, its a bit of a strange psychological thing, but basically people tend to treat you how you are dressed.

I've actually been doing some training for a company the last few weeks as a temp gig and most everyone dresses barely this side of business casual. I've shown up in suits every day and occasionally with ties and it's made quite the impression on the higher ups in the company, in a good way. The #2 woman has noticed me a few times this week and loves how I look in a suit and how I pull off the pocket squares, too!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
comparable to most of the world, people who wear some of the labels and attention to detail on this board are found at the most esteemed levels of business, so they arent too far with their comments.

I would take it as a compliment, as i'm sure it was meant that way.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Transporter
I've actually been doing some training for a company the last few weeks as a temp gig and most everyone dresses barely this side of business casual. I've shown up in suits every day and occasionally with ties and it's made quite the impression on the higher ups in the company, in a good way. The #2 woman has noticed me a few times this week and loves how I look in a suit and how I pull off the pocket squares, too!

Very nice!

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
comparable to most of the world, people who wear some of the labels and attention to detail on this board are found at the most esteemed levels of business, so they arent too far with their comments.

I would take it as a compliment, as i'm sure it was meant that way.

Yeah, I took it that way. And the fact that it was a Marco Valentino from the Wizard of Ahhs made me chuckle inside. I just needed something inexpensive for interviewing and with the help of my tailor (Maria at Golden Needle here in Chicago) they've done the trick and look really good. Once I get the job I plan on upgrading big time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads