• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Dior Homme rumor...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
from some NYC rag...

Browne tailored to Dior Homme?

The official word is a denial, but I'm hearing Dior Homme has quietly offered the top job to New York men's wear designer Thom Browne.

Browne is known for his classic tailoring and '50s American sensibility.

"Dior asked Thom Browne to take over from Hedi Slimane, but he hasn't decided yet," says a snitch.

A rep for Dior said only that he had "no information" about the rumor.

Despite a "not true" from Browne's rep, the leak comes from within his own organization.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. It's no mystery that the relationship between Hedi and Dior has been a little rocky lately (they had issues renegotiating his contract; apparently Hedi wanted more money).

Personally, I'd like to see a change at Dior. Not necessarily Thom Browne, but at least somebody different. Hedi's aesthetic was amazing in 2001, but that was five years ago and it hasn't changed. Plus, Dior has really changed from its initial inception (this isn't really Hedi's fault). It went from being the brand of choice for guys who loved and UNDERSTOOD skinny, beautiful tailoring to a lifestyle brand loved by bitchy teenagers who couldn't care less whether the items are actually well made.

I used to love the brand (before the "Follow Me" season ((a/w 2003), but after that, when they introduced the bee monogram leather goods, the Dior Homme shaving kits, etc etc etc... I just lost interest.

Plus, the early seasons featured Japanese denim, high-quality cottons for shirts, nice wools for suits (and always fully canvassed), and now lots of the items are made in Turkey, the jeans are made in cheaper Italian factories, etc etc.

So, Thom Browne might just bring an interesting reinvigoration into the brand and I"m sure the bitchy teenagers won't mind, so long as Dior remains "the next big thing."

John

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh. Well, we'll see.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Not high would be my guess...

why wouldnt it? TB, aesthetics aside, is known for a high quality garment. And DH as well, at least in their earlier years with Hedi...the current state of quality control might be debatable.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i heard that kris van achee had been ask to take over if contract talks failed also that hedi had beed offerde more cash to go back to YSL but his last 3 season stuff was not as good!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
why wouldnt it?
I've seen a few Dior items where the quality was not good-very machine made. Maybe Thom would improve this but history seems to suggest that is unusual.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I don't get it. Does this mean Thom's own line will not continue? I really hope whatever he makes for them is the same quality as his own line, which is reputedly very good.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Hedi out before he does any more damage, is the unfortunate but necessary prognosis. He has ceased to lead, and instead is merely following, and not even following anything interesting. His passing interest in skaters was troubling (how banal these slackers are!), but now he is officially over the edge. Nothing dark, nothing glamourous, nothing unique about what is being turned out.

More to the point, nothing to flatter, nothing that is (as one designer, I forget who, brilliantly described their look) "a rational proposition for living", but rather misshapen cropped coats, ties too thin to actually be worn, even the denim is uninspired.

I actually like some of the more random accessories - toiletries etc - though I'd never drop the cash, I enjoy the notion that nothing is too mundane to inject a dose of style. Or rather, nothing was, as everything in Hedi-land seems to have gotten very, very ordinary.

It's even reflected in the man himself - gone are the sharp tux jackets and long scarves that defined his personal taste, now he's out there in "ironic", "vintage" tshirts clashing with ill-fitting pinstripes.

Please excuse me if my tone is a little vitriolic, I am just torn to see the very designer who got me interested in dressing well in the first place go so very wrong. And I have no time for the rock and roll posers he associates with - Doherty &c.

That is all, for now.

Cheers,

Eden

PS. As regards Thom, he too can be guilty of some degree of poseurism. More troublingly, he like Hedi of late is too wrapped up in the past, whereas what made Dior great was the lack of historical shackles, the creation of a futuristic fantasy world. In that vein, I say drag in Helmut Lang to design for Dior...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I don't think Browne's ever claimed to be overly modern, so how is that poseurial? Styles of the past (especially 1930s and '60s) are rather interesting to me, so maybe I'm just biased.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I don't think Browne's ever claimed to be overly modern, so how is that poseurial? Styles of the past (especially 1930s and '60s) are rather interesting to me, so maybe I'm just biased.

Sorry, excuse my stream-of-consciousness writing style!

I meant to say, TB is in with the sort of scene-y New York crowd in the same way that Hedi is with the Londoners.

A lot of retro styles are interesting, some of TB's stuff included. BUT, there are plenty of designers doing it. Part of what made Dior cool was the lack of referentiality...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
i heard that kris van achee had been ask to take over if contract talks failed also that hedi had beed offerde more cash to go back to YSL but his last 3 season stuff was not as good!

Kris van Aasche would be a good replacement for Hedi. I'd rather see that than Thom Browne; but then again, Kris' stuff looks like Hedi-squared, so perhaps Browne could at least do something differently.

I heard this rumor about YSL too, but mark my words, Hedi is NOT going back to YSL. Pilati is doing a great job there and most everybody is happy with the direction in which it is going. Hedi's styling and Pilati's are NOTHING alike, so to remove Pilati in favor of Hedi would be alienating the customer base they've been trying to build for the past five years or so.

So, if it happens, then I'll eat my YSL Rive Gauche rider's jacket.

John

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slimane's designs are difficult to wear, but striking. I'm grateful at least, that Tom Ford will not be taking over Dior. He did enough damage, at Yves Saint Laurent.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
Sorry, excuse my stream-of-consciousness writing style! I meant to say, TB is in with the sort of scene-y New York crowd in the same way that Hedi is with the Londoners. A lot of retro styles are interesting, some of TB's stuff included. BUT, there are plenty of designers doing it. Part of what made Dior cool was the lack of referentiality...
I'm just still not getting how something is poseurial because of who wears it. van Assche is an interesting character and his fuller cut pants are definitely different from the crowd. However, the sheer audacity of charging over $200 for a necklace he describes himself as being, "like something you'd find out of a garage," has turned me off. It's nothing but a ******* chain and nut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads