Interesting Dior Homme rumor...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Part of what made Dior cool was the lack of referentiality...

Interesting you see it that way, because I always thought Hedi was too blatantly referential to his influences.

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Interesting you see it that way, because I always thought Hedi was too blatantly referential to his influences.

same here. I always got the feeling he'd gotten his ideas by going back in time and rummaging through Bowie & Iggy's west berlin flat. It certainly takes the physique of a macrobiotic heroin junkie to wear his goods.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I'm able to wear his goods and I'm thin, but I definitely don't have a junkie's physique.

4. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Hedi STARTED out pretty original in the first maybe four collections - Solitaire, Red, and to a lesser extent Strip and Luster.

Then he fell in love with Pete Doherty, suddenly the alien shapes and textures turned into cardigans with music noted and pork pie hats. Everything went very wrong...

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Exactly. He went from beautiful, razor sharp tailoring to falling in love with THIS:

[​IMG]

Ewwwwww....
    John

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hedi always claimed that he did not believe in nostalgia and influences, but even his early collections at Dior Homme looked very New Wave to me, and I was hardly the only person to notice.

7. minya

minya Senior member

I agree that post-Doherty Dior Homme designs have been quite uninspired. I find Luster extremely fascinating, however, although I couldn't wear much of it.

I think it's a good thing, since Slimane seems stuck in a rut at DH. Thom Browne would, I'm guessing, inject the brand with a bit of classic Americana, whereas Kris Van Assche would likely follow-up and further refine the high-fashion-minimalist-goth aesthetic that the Belgians are so good at doing (and that sort of showed up in Luster). Either direction would make for interesting clothing.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Dior Homme is going to be a difficult label to revamp considering its entire schematic was, from the begininng, developed by Slimane. Although Slimane did experiment with that look at his short-lived YSL stint.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Dior Homme is going to be a difficult label to revamp considering its entire schematic was, from the begininng, developed by Slimane. Although Slimane did experiment with that look at his short-lived YSL stint.
    I thought you'd want them to bring back Patrick Lavoix or Dominique Morlotti.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I thought you'd want them to bring back Patrick Lavoix or Dominique Morlotti.
    I'd prefer Giles Deacon. His 2000 Bottega Veneta collection with Katie Grand was superb.

11. be_supernatural

be_supernatural New Member

You know what I've just found out! Dior will replace Slimane with the famous Bulgarian twins Gergana and Maria Sapundjievi! Dior has offered the twins to take over Dior Menswear from the next season!

12. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

famous Bulgarian twins Gergana and Maria Sapundjievi!

pardon my dilletantism, but what are they famous for? Where can I see previous works of theirs?

13. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

You can't see them because they don't exist...

14. chanela

chanela New Member

Oh, I am Bulgarian too! I know about them, they are cool! I am happy for them! You can see them at www.addacouture.com. Their team name is AddA Couture.

15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I think some Eastern Europeans are pulling our leg.

Looking at that website, pardon me if I say I'm skeptical as to the truth of this rumor. The menswear and womenswear listed on that site are absolutely garish and the design aesthetics between that site's content and Dior are nothing alike. Might this simply be a shameless plug of one's own designs (i.e. our two new Bulgarian posters just happen to be Gergana and Maria Sapundjievi themselves)?