• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Communities and Isolated American groups

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe Clarence Thomas grew up in a Geechie community as a child.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I believe Clarence Thomas grew up in a Geechie community as a child.

Yes, he said he even spoke the language before it was "cool". Unfortunately I can't imagine him keeping much contact with them now.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
People tend to call anyone light red bone. Growing up I was called it though I don't consider myself light and am certainly not red. It is pretty uncommon for men to be called it.

Looked it up. Malcolm was called Red and even "Detroit Red" for a time. Pretty pimpass nickname. Would've been better if his last name had been "Wings"

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Looked it up. Malcolm was called Red and even "Detroit Red" for a time. Pretty pimpass nickname. Would've been better if his last name had been "Wings"

He had slicked back red hair at the time...lol Glad he abandoned that look. Say what you will about the NOI , they had him lookin good.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
He had slicked back red hair at the time...lol Glad he abandoned that look. Say what you will about the NOI , they had him lookin good.

....I wasn't there, but I don't think sixteen gunshots, including several twelve gauge blasts, improved the man's appearance all that much. But maybe that's just me.

All snark aside though, yeah, the NOI look is pretty tight. Not that I could ever pull it off
laugh.gif
If I tried, I'd look like Tucker Carlson.

word

Reaction score
American but not in America, maybe the most interesting community The Confederos. They were confederates who after the Civil War moved to the Coast of Brazil and tried to recreated the Antebellum South. Apparently some parts of their culture is still celebrated there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados

Google Book: http://books.google.com/books?id=WRt...page&q&f=false

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

festa-confederada.jpg

0.jpg

Festa-confederada-brasil-estados-unidos-santa-b%C3%A1rbara-doeste.JPG

They should just move back to GA or SC. Would fit in just fine these days.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
....I wasn't there, but I don't think sixteen gunshots, including several twelve gauge blasts, improved the man's appearance all that much. But maybe that's just me.

All snark aside though, yeah, the NOI look is pretty tight. Not that I could ever pull it off
laugh.gif
If I tried, I'd look like Tucker Carlson.

That was the feds! The Calypso singer said so.

I wouldn't look good in either, I'm far too fat, seems to be a look that favors the skinny.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gruntle

Reaction score
Interesting articles. I have a friend who's a Melungeons(Goins), never knew their backgroung till I read this thread. I had a friend in high school who was *********** as they used to say, called her redbone everyday just cause I know she hated it.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lightbrightanddamnednea.png

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
south Carolina seems ripe with tri racial isolates. "The Turks of South Carolina are a group of people related to the Free Moors of South Carolina and the Brass Ankles, who lived near Stateburg, South Carolina. It is believed these people come from a Middle Eastern background."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_of_South_Carolina

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I drove through Gullah country on the backroads this past weekend, from Savannah to Tallahassee. Kind of interesting, going through all those old rural settlements. Definitely got some stares :laugh: Anyway, passed through one little community where everyone looked mixed, was south of Riceboro, IIRC, but I can't even find it on google maps.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I drove through Gullah country on the backroads this past weekend, from Savannah to Tallahassee. Kind of interesting, going through all those old rural settlements. Definitely got some stares :laugh: Anyway, passed through one little community where everyone looked mixed, was south of Riceboro, IIRC, but I can't even find it on google maps.
The south has to be way more interesting in that respect. You drive through new England most interesting thing you might come across is a Swamp Yankee. You ever read Bill Bryson's book where he drove through small town America? He look for Melungeons while in Appalachia but couldn't find any. Also went to coastal SC but unfortunately didn't check out Gullah folk.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

[VIDEO][/VIDEO].
The south has to be way more interesting in that respect. You drive through new England most interesting thing you might come across is a Swamp Yankee. You ever read Bill Bryson's book where he drove through small town America? He look for Melungeons while in Appalachia but couldn't find any. Also went to coastal SC but unfortunately didn't check out Gullah folk.

Yeah, it's a lot more diverse. It's one of the best things about the South.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I've always been more interested with the accents though more than anything.

I've heard of Lumbee and Melungeons, but never met any. This reminded me a bit of Tangier Island, Virginia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangier,_Virginia Apparently its inhabitants, until recently, spoke a rather archaic brand of English.

Tangier Island Accent:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Outer Banks Brogue Vocabulary:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Appalachian English:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads