1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting article

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HRHAndrew, Oct 22, 2003.

1. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

I thought some of you would enjoy the following article.

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

call me a dreamer, but i think it should be law that a business which carries someone's name should have to rename itself in the event the business is sold. it is one thing to license out manufacturing contracts (no one expects calvin klein to be an expert in sunglass manufacturing), but having something sold with your name on the label, when you've had no input whatsoever into the creation of it, is fraud. even if all you do is approve of the final design before it goes into production, that's still something.

i don't believe a designer would willingly give up all creative control over his own label if he is still in some way associated with the company. btw, i have never seen a joseph abboud garment that struck me as having been "designed." it's all very standard stuff to me.

3. Yosarian77

Yosarian77 Well-Known Member

You're not exactly dreaming, but really, if Abboud signed a contract that didn't give him veto power or some sort of ability to work with the designers to come up with suitable designs befitting his brand, then that's bad foresight and bad lawyering on his part. It's actually something that people, especially designers and artists, need to be very careful about. When your brand is your name, you can't be so quick to grab the money. Sounds like they originally threw a bunch of money at Abboud and he took it and ran. Then, when the designs starting slipping, he had regrets.

But I agree with you about Abboud clothing. Very VERY average looking at best.

4. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Why's he complaining, again? He received sixty-five million dollars to not do anything. He should call it a 65 mil retirement fund, and shut the hell up. If any fashion designers are reading, I'll happily not design anything for you for half that figure. A quarter even.