• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting article on teens and 80 dollar jeans

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN2P107DUT.DTL Teens move away from freewheeling spending as times get tough Thriftier adolescents searching for ways to stretch dollars Anne D'Innocenzio, Associated Press Friday, April 18, 2008 (04-18) 04:00 PDT New York - -- The souring job market and rising costs of the usual teenage indulgences - a slice of pizza, a drive to the mall, the hottest new jeans - are causing teens to do something they rarely do: be thrifty. It's a far cry from the freewheeling spending of recent years, when teens splurged on $100 Coach wristlet handbags, $60 Juicy Couture T-shirts and $80 skinny jeans from Abercrombie & Fitch. Now jobs for teens are less plentiful, and parents who supply the allowances are feeling the economic pinch themselves. The stalwart retailers of teen apparel, such as Abercrombie and American Eagle Outfitters Inc., are reporting sluggish sales, defying the myth that teen spending is recession-proof: It holds up longer, but can eventually fold. It's even becoming cool to be frugal. Last week, Ellegirl.com, the teen offshoot of Elle magazine, started a new video fixture called Self-Made Girl, which shows teens how to make clothes and accessories. "It's a little tacky in the economic unrest to tote a big logo bag," said Holly Siegel, the site's senior editor. She said it's no longer about teens "one-upping each other," but rather where they can get it cheap. Victoria Bradley, a 16-year-old from Springfield, Mo., says the $80 she earns each month from babysitting is being eaten up by more expensive school lunches, late-night snacks with friends and stylish clothes. Now, she says, she and her friends head for the thrift store or just browse at the mall. "I used to be able to buy a T-shirt and jeans every couple of months," Victoria said, adding some of her friends are even "making their own clothes or altering their old ones to fit or look better." Victoria's mother, Michelle Bradley, said she and her husband cut back spending on themselves last year, and early this year also started paring back "frivolous" buying for their three girls. "We have made a conscious effort to not use credit cards," said Bradley, who stopped paying for Victoria's text messages last month. The top priority is school supplies and choir fees. The job market for teens isn't what it used to be, either: Nathan Reeser, a Cincinnati 15-year-old, lost his job making pizza four months ago and has had to cut back on spending. He's shopping more at Target and less at Abercrombie & Fitch's Hollister stores. "Now, I just get money from my parents, but they don't have as much because of taxes and everything else," he said. Teen hiring has slumped by 5 percent since March 2007, with many mom-and-pop stores, which typically hire younger workers, laying off employees. Hiring in the overall job market fell by just 0.1 percent during the same period. That's still not as bad as the 13 percent drop in teen hiring in the early 1990s. That means that if the larger job market mirrors the last teen hiring slump, "we're not out of the woods," said Michael P. Niemira, chief economist at the International Council of Shopping Centers. Economists say this teen spending slump could be the worst in 17 years, when teen frugality led to the demise of once-hot Merry-Go-Round Enterprises Inc. and ushered in an era of flannel shirts and torn jeans. Last month, teen retailers suffered an 8 percent drop in sales at established stores. The good news is that the under-20 crew is still spending on tech gadgets like iPods, cell phones and headsets, analysts say. What makes this slump different, says Deloitte Research chief economist Carl Steidtmann, is the soaring cost of basics such as food and gas, which have a direct impact on younger consumers. This article appeared on page A - 19 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the spending habits of the average teen who posts on styleforum/superfuture, i'd say the prices they quote in that article makes it seem like shopping at walmart for the population here....

danilo

Reaction score
It makes me feel bad
frown.gif
... I wish my jeans were $80, I would be 3 pairs
biggrin.gif

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
Based on the spending habits of the average teen who posts on styleforum/superfuture, i'd say the prices they quote in that article makes it seem like shopping at walmart for the population here....

Being a teen myself I found "splurging on 80 dollar jeans" quite funny.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im a teen and I got a job. Hell I spent $1000 last month on jeans and shirts.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this garbage. This girl is making $80 a month!?

When I was in high school I worked 40+ hours a week. Hell now I'm in college and I'm still working 40+ hours a week. I'll still be doing it for a little while unless SoCal wants to be my sugardaddy.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I had $80 for the entire 4 years I was in high school.

hi-val

Reaction score
I think mom and dad cutting off spending for kids clothing and then the kids having to get jobs is a good thing. If you really want those new kicks or jeans, get a paper route or mow lawns or do something for a little scratch.

I remember being 16 and earning minimum wage. It was more money than I could imagine because I had literally no expenses like a car, phone, etc.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
When I was in high school my parents bought my clothes and I spent all my money on shrooms and Dead tickets.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HATORI HANZO
When I was in high school my parents bought my clothes and I spent all my money on shrooms and Dead tickets.

That explains so much about you, HANZO.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand why it's tacky to carry a logo bag in an economic downturn. I mean, I wouldn't use such a thing, but I've always taken a perverse pleasure in conspicuous consumption in uncertain times.

travanx

Reaction score
Isn't it tacky to wear big logo'd things during the good economic times. Seems kind of fake to me. I think you are right on.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't understand why it's tacky to carry a logo bag in an economic downturn. I mean, I wouldn't use such a thing, but I've always taken a perverse pleasure in conspicuous consumption in uncertain times.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
this article is such bullshit. the media overexaggerating our economic situation is probably a huge reason why there is any kind of economic problem. i would bet that the only reason people may be spending less is because they heard on the news that there are economic problems not because they are actually experiences cashflow problems.

Clench Million

Reaction score
The souring job market and rising costs of the usual teenage indulgences - a slice of pizza, a drive to the mall, the hottest new jeans - are causing teens to do something they rarely do: be thrifty. A slice of pizza? ****, I eat pizza every day because it is the CHEAPEST thing out there, not because it is a splurge...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads