• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interest in paul stuart items...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
along the same lines as the potential JM Weston question, there's a good chance i could get Paul Stuart's 45th and Madison inventory but i'm unfamiliar with PS's popularity.  anyone know or is it worth gambling and taking 200K or so of items?
200K as in Dollars?

I dunno...I think that 200K of merchandise that for whatever reason didnt sell and they are now being resold is quite a large amount.

Just one Man's Opinion.

JJF

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends. I'm a big Paul Stuart fan, but there are still things in the store that make me cringe. If it's largely their classic items, then I'm sure it would move well . . . if the price is right.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge Paul Stuart fan. Now..., now that I've discovered the world of really good s**t men's clothes, I realize Paul Stuart isn't quite the bee's knees that I used to think. Nevertheless, they've got some great stuff. My wife's a fan of the women's wear.

I have a 30-35 year old Sea Island PS shirt (something I got from my father about 10 years ago after he outgrew it) that I still wear about once every 2 weeks. Still good as new, somehow. I also have a lamb suede belt that I bought at PS when I went to NYC in college for a job interview and forgot to bring a black belt for my then-brand new suit. I still wear that belt several times a week and it still shows virtually no signs of wear. I'm confident I'll be able to wear it for another 15+ years.

Plus, have you seen their catalogs? A little over the top sometimes in their use of pink and purple, but they are still fun to look at. Always many an item I desire.

PS -- Paul Stuart's underwear is the best I've ever found. Check it out.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, what do you mean by "getting their 45th and Madison inventory." The store's not closing, is it?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the good selection of Grenson shoes and other nice accoutrements, I was mightily disappointed with Paul Stuart.

koji

jrh

Reaction score
In 1975 Paul Struart provided me my first grown-up suit. In the 1980s they provided most of my wardrobe. As I learned more about threads, I realized PS is more about their updated classics then quality. Not that they sell junk, but for the money you can do better. Sylewise, I think PS is very classy.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
a few points:
1. 200K in unsold isn't all that uncommon. it sounds like a lot, but 200K is actually on the low end i get from other stores.
2. i LOVE color but find most men won't wear an orange sweater or something like that, so i like seeing color whereas most men don't
3. i think there's a really good chance, basically mine if i want it, but wanted some input. would probably be in october or november
4. not closing, just excess, keep in mind they also have a store in chicago that would contribtue a little to the inventory

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like the others, I think it really depends on what the specific items are. Anything labelled Stuart's Choice is pretty good stuff, and I particularly like their Stuart's Choice shoes (wore a pair today, as a matter of fact). I also like their socks, ties, pocket squares, outerware, and a lot of their casual stuff. I'm not particularly a fan of most of their dress shirts. The Stuart's Choice line of suits are pretty good, the rest merely okay.

Dan G

Reaction score
Go for it. I like the stuff quite a bit, and wouldn't mind picking up a suit and a pair of shoes if the price was right.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think you'd do much better with the leathergood, accessories, ties, and shoes than the suits and sportcoats. I'd be interested; their sweaters (in addition to above items) are pretty great, as well.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
dan, if you could guarantee a sale for about 20K, that'd help a lot
biggrin.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd skip it if I were you. Paul Stuart does not sell well on ebay. Some of their really premier items would probably go, but overall you would lose your shirt, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads