• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intensity/sets question

gregory

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've made some progress in losing weight. I'm interested to lose a bit more weight, reduce bodyfat and put on some muscles. I would be very thankful if someone could address my concerns:

(1) Should I go for high-intensity+low # of sets or low-intensity+high # of sets? Numbers would be helpful here.

(2) How important are protein shakes after weight training?

(3) I tend to hate cardio. How important is this?

Thanks  a lot.

PS: At the moment I'm doing weight training 3 times a week ... and cardio (bike) 2 times a week only 15-20 minutes each time.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) yes. the thing about lifting is that you have to constantly change your routine. do something for a month, then do something else. if you're lifting for size or strength, always do high intensity...whether you're doing sets of 6, 10, or 12, do it to failure. if you want to do sets of 50, treat it like a cardio day and keep moving (no rest) for an hour at low intensity.

2) lots of controversy on this topic. just remember that food, whether it's in the form of a shake, equals calories. to lose weight, you have to eat less calories than you burn. that being said, it's important to eat after you workout. protein shakes are convenient, but not particurly good or bad for you. eat regular food if you can. but don't do both.

3) cardio is important, but doing it on those machines is soooo boring. they don't call it a deadmill for nothing. if you can, run outside. or if you like cycling, buy a bike. I can ride 5 hours out in the street, but you'd have to put a gun to my head to make me sit on a lifecycle for 45 minutes.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part, this depends upon your goals. For most lifters, there is little point going beyond one set. The percentage increase in strength and mass is minimal. It is also extraordinarily difficult to lose weight ("cut") and add muscle mass at the same time. Most lifters recommend losing the weight and then adding the lean mass.

Cardio and weight lifting ought work together as part of the program. Consider cardio for days you do not lift when you are in cutting phase. Cardio when adding leans mass will slow considerably the addition of muscle, but it is doable. If you truly find cardio boring, make it competitive. I am focusing on improving my 10K speed to keep my focus.

There is some evidence that a mixture of simple carbs and whey protein taken within 3-60 minutes after exercise helps preserve muscle.

In terms of reps - the fewer the reps, the greater the focus on strength. Power lifters are often in the very low rep. range. To add lean muscle mass, more reps (to failure) are advisable. Thus, a good lifting program if not powerlifting:

12-15 sets of different exercises targeting one area (e.g., chest and tri's or back and bi's) . Each set to failure in the 8-10 rep range. Do each part no more than 1 time per week. For example,

Monday - Chest and tris
Wednesday - Back and Bis
Friday - Legs
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - cardio
Sunday - rest

Good luck.

gregory

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful responses.
biggrin.gif
My situation is this. I do not think I am considered large (sizewise) anymore now. But I still have lots of fat deposits in my body. Should I lose more weight first? If yes, what is a good way to do that? (cario without lifting?) I also have a lot of ***** tissue on the chest area -- I am keen to lose these. Any thoughts? Once again, thanks....

F4iryder14

Reaction score
2)  lots of controversy on this topic.  just remember that food, whether it's in the form of a shake, equals calories.  to lose weight, you have to eat less calories than you burn.  that being said, it's important to eat after you workout.  protein shakes are convenient, but not particurly good or bad for you.  eat regular food if you can.  but don't do both.
Actually you do want to do both, just not at the same time.  After working out/cardio your body is in a mode where it will suck up whatever you can give it.  This window, which is about an hour after you workout, is very critical.  At this point it is best to go with a protein shake, as your body will absorb liquid nutrients very rapidly.  You also will want to drink some simple carbs like Gatorade, as your glycogen stores (muscle energy) will be very low.  I also take a scoop of L-glutaime powder also, and that stuff is incredible for overall health especially when working out.  Then about 1-1.5 hours after your workout, you want to have some solid food with good complex carbs or vegetables (a chicken breast and some green beans/wild rice is primo at this point).  But by all means take postworkout nutrition very seriously.  It's a time where you can really help yourself out.

Kevin

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My situation is this. I do not think I am considered large (sizewise) anymore now. But I still have lots of fat deposits in my body. Should I lose more weight first? If yes, what is a good way to do that? (cario without lifting?)

I also have a lot of ***** tissue on the chest area -- I am keen to lose these. Any thoughts?

Once again, thanks....
***** deposits are just fat. Fat is lost through a reduction of calories. Fewer calories consumed then expended will lead to weight loss. Unfortunately, with loss of fat, there will be some loss of muscle.

To recipitate the weight loss, a combination of cardio and weight-lifting. To preserve muscle mass, weights. Sorry, there is no quick fix and cardio is a necessary component not only for weight loss, but for overall cardio-vascular health.

Also, it is virtually impossible to spot reduce. Sadly, genetics controls where we store fat and each of us is slightly different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads