• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intel on Tyrwhitt Tuxedo?

Mentos

Reaction score
Anyone have any exposure to the CT tuxedo? At about $500US shipped, it seems a decent solution to my problem of wanting a classic tuxedo but not wanting to break the bank, given that I'll be wearing it rarely, at best. Recent comments on CT suits have been pretty good, so I think it's worth a shot. Nice classic style (1b, peaked lapels, ventless) that seems to be hard to find in cheap, er, inexpensive tuxedos.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
From what I can gather, they're half canvassed. Anyways, I do like the style of their dinner suits (what the British, and thus CT call them). The link button is a nice throwback to '30s suits that had them. The lapels are neither too thin or too wide. If $500 is a good price to you, give it a try. And let us know how it turned out.
smile.gif
EDIT: Here's how I know it's at least half-canvassed. Link to suit information on CT's website. "Floating canvas chest piece"

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Anyone have any exposure to the CT tuxedo? At about $500US shipped, it seems a decent solution to my problem of wanting a classic tuxedo but not wanting to break the bank, given that I'll be wearing it rarely, at best. Recent comments on CT suits have been pretty good, so I think it's worth a shot. Nice classic style (1b, peaked lapels, ventless) that seems to be hard to find in cheap, er, inexpensive tuxedos.

use the 50% off link. it'll knock the tux down to $325 plus shipping/tax/duty.

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/pine

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure by $500 he meant with discount and both pieces.

Mentos

Reaction score
That's right--it's about $472 for jacket and pants, 50% off, before shipping. I'm a little worried about the working sleeve buttons--I have somewhat short arms, and they don't sell short sizes.

If anyone has ideas on a non-notched, decently made, "slim" fitting tuxedo for less than that, I'd be thrilled to hear. I have time to wait for capricious overseas retailers. I've been watching eBay for a few weeks and nothing remotely worthwhile has shown up. I've also canvassed the usual places, stp, stf, etc.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Isn't that just the jacket?

they do separates for the tux as well? interesting.... not even BB does that.

edit: ugh, what am i thinking. BB does separates as well....

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only caution is the working button holes on the sleeves. I am lucky that the jacket sleeve worked for my pretty standard arm length. However, if you are near a CT store, you may want to try on a jacket to get a sense if it would work for you.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
That's right--it's about $472 for jacket and pants, 50% off, before shipping. I'm a little worried about the working sleeve buttons--I have somewhat short arms, and they don't sell short sizes.

maybe you can call/email them and get measurements? i think they sent me measurements of their shirts a few years back.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
They have measurements on their site for suit jackets. Click "Sizing information" for that page. If the sleeves are too long, they can be taken in by a competent tailor at the shoulder, it's just more expensive from what I know.

Mentos

Reaction score
Thanks for the sizing info--I missed that.

bigstar[1].gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
No problemo. Let us know if you get it and how it is.
smile.gif

Mentos

Reaction score
Well, I bought this tribute to the art of style. It's going back. Note that it cost about $500, shipped. A few observations:
  1. I'm a 39R, almost a 39S. I bought a 40R, and it's huge. I could take it in a bit, but really it's just cut large. And I'm not large. I thought about trying a 38R, but I don't think I will, for reasons described below. There are other fit issues, but they're specific to me, so I won't bother to explain.
  2. The pants are fairly slim. I actually like them.
  3. The sleeve buttonholes are working, which does limit how much you can easily shorten the sleeves. In my case, I would need about an inch off, and there is just barely enough room between the sleeve end and the buttons.
  4. The facings (is that the word?) are okay, a ribbed black silk. They don't feel great, neither are they terrible. But there are ripples right where the peak takes off from the collar (sorry, I don't know technical terms). I think it makes the whole thing look poorly constructed. It might not show up at an evening function, but it's very noticeable and annoying in daylight.
  5. Most importantly, the fabric does not feel good. It reminds me of a Today's Man suit I had a few years back. By way of comparison, I have a Calvin Klein suit (youth is wasted on the young, eh?) and it feels much nicer. It feels about like a rental. I would cringe when offering my arm to a lady.
  6. I also bought the tuxedo shirt. Cost about $60. It's not cut huge, which is a plus, and the fabric is so-so, but the pleats on the front are very low profile. I looked at a BB tuxedo shirt, and the pleats on it practically jumped off the shirt--looked slightly eccentric and cool. (Unfortunately, you could fit two of me in the bb shirt). On the CT shirt, you can barely get your finger between the pleats and the shirt front, if that makes any sense.
I like the shirt okay, but the fabric is not great and there are a million decently constructed tuxedo shirts out there for a similar price, so I think it's going back, as well. The tuxedo isn't worth $500 to me, much less the $1000 that it purports to cost at regular price. I still like CT overall, but I don't like this item very much. Which leaves me still searching for a sb, peaked lapel, ventless tuxedo--it really is hard to find. I'm at the point where I may try that Thailand tailor mentioned in another thread. That would cost about $400, shipped (Mycustomsuit.com, was it?), but who knows what I'd get. Alternatively, I may have chan make me one. It'd be worth it if I love it and wear it for 5-10 years, right? Someone help me rationalize this...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I'm surprised because their website states that:
We believe that you cannot buy a better product anywhere at any price. (link)
plain.gif
sarcasm.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mentos

Reaction score
There are a plethora of statements on that site which make me wonder if much has not been lost in translation from British to American English ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads