• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intel Atom Processor Notebook

Star

Reaction score
Does anyone here have an Intel Atom Processor based Mini Notebook like the EEEEE or others put out by all the main pc manufacturers. Interested in how you found performance? I like the size of these things and would find it a benefit for word-processing and excel work while catching the train in and out of work each day (i travel 1 hr in each direction) but do not want to waste the money if they are generally found to be ordinary and not worth it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm interested in this, too. There's an old thread on this already, but I'm curious about recent perceptions.

adversity04

Reaction score
I would suggest doing a search for the netbook thread as it will have a lot more info in there.

I have a Samsung NC10 which I use for taking notes in class, some coding, surfing the web, skype and watching movies while traveling. Performance is fine for the most part, but I need pretty decent headphones because the sound isn't great. I'm glad I purchased mine, just don't except to be playing games on it outside of solitare.

The Snob

Reaction score
I tested one of the Acer ones recently--the ones with the linux OS. It's a great little gadget but I'm not sure if it would be able to handle something like Excel smoothly.

Costco is selling a lot of these. If you have a membership, you can get one, test it out, and return it within 3 months if it's not up to snuff.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the netbooks thread. I'm tying this on my Lenovo S10. I'm running Open Office on this, but I have no trouble editing documents and spreadsheets (or watching movies on hulu and youtube or playing games like Diablo II). Love it.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My little brother has a S10 with 4GB of ram. It's fairly snappy for web browsing, but can be a bit slow with multiple apps running. It's great for what it was built for: web browsing and light editing work.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A week in San Francisco with a not-quite-netbook (netbook screen/processor, full-size HD) and Windows Vista made me want to smoke crack. Dunno if XP or Linux would have made the experience better.

Apple desperately needs to come out with a 10" mini-Macbook for under a grand. None of that touchscreen or Macbook Air bullshit, y'hear?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
A week in San Francisco with a not-quite-netbook (netbook screen/processor, full-size HD) and Windows Vista made me want to smoke crack. Dunno if XP or Linux would have made the experience better.

Apple desperately needs to come out with a 10" mini-Macbook for under a grand. None of that touchscreen or Macbook Air bullshit, y'hear?

Windows Vista? Are you kidding? I could have told you before that you won't have fun.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an EeePC 1000HA with Atom. It's more than enough for any Office stuff or video playback.

I found it perfectly adequate out of the box, however I did upgrade ram to 2GB, not because I felt that I needed to, but just because it seemed like the thing to do.

Anyway, I ran 50+ tab Excel models with all kinds of fun **** and it did just fine - possibly faster than my work PC that's a couple years old. I am running XP + Office 2003 Pro.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I have an EeePC 1000HA with Atom. It's more than enough for any Office stuff or video playback. I found it perfectly adequate out of the box, however I did upgrade ram to 2GB, not because I felt that I needed to, but just because it seemed like the thing to do. Anyway, I ran 50+ tab Excel models with all kinds of fun **** and it did just fine - possibly faster than my work PC that's a couple years old. I am running XP + Office 2003 Pro.
This is what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I just (as in TODAY) took delivery of an Asus 1000HE netbook.

It uses the latest Intel Atom, although it is only a smidge faster than the earlier ones (1.66 GHz as opposed to 1.60GHz). It's charging up right now. I am going to install the 2 GB RAM upgrade when I get home tonight and then see how it works out. It came with Windows XP Home and I intend to leave that OS intact.

Unfortunately I only have Office 2007 (which is a resource hog). I may try to buy a copy of Office 2003 in the next few days.

I'll have to see how it works and then report back. I don't intend to use it for anything beyond web surfing, email, watching the occasional movie and maybe playing some older video games. If I'm doing hardcore work then I have the Dell laptop that my company issued to me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I just (as in TODAY) took delivery of an Asus 1000HE netbook.

It uses the latest Intel Atom, although it is only a smidge faster than the earlier ones (1.66 GHz as opposed to 1.60GHz). It's charging up right now. I am going to install the 2 GB RAM upgrade when I get home tonight and then see how it works out. It came with Windows XP Home and I intend to leave that OS intact.

Unfortunately I only have Office 2007 (which is a resource hog). I may try to buy a copy of Office 2003 in the next few days.

I'll have to see how it works and then report back. I don't intend to use it for anything beyond web surfing, email, watching the occasional movie and maybe playing some older video games. If I'm doing hardcore work then I have the Dell laptop that my company issued to me.

I'm interested in hearing a review from you.

raclotz

Reaction score
buy only if you want to surf the web or to do word processing but not a good idea to watch movies and games...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raclotz
buy only if you want to surf the web or to do word processing but not a good idea to watch movies and games...
I just want it for the web when I travel. I can do everything I need (e.g., e-mail) from the web. The weight and size seems ideal but I'm concerned about speed.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raclotz

movies run more than fine on mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads