• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instead of eating alone I [you fill in the rest]

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
OK, I hate to have meals alone. That goes triple for meals out--at home it's not a huge deal. Well, for various reasons I am stationary for about a week in a city that I don't know very well (yet) and where I don't know more than one or two people, and for now an inoperable kitchen. I've started looking for local expats, but Americans tend to hang out in expensive places and I'm trying to be a little bit frugal for once. Oh yeah, I don't speak a word of the language.

Any ideas on quick ways to link up with interesting people? Since I'm only here for a week, things like sports and clubs are out. Tonight I'm going to stick my head in on an expat political dinner party, if I'm reading the website correctly (Woo hoo! CE forum in real life!)

Of course, if anyone's going to be in Budapest in the next week, drop me a line!

Tom

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppse you could go to a restaurant and eat at the bar. Chat up the bartender if its emty (good way to find out whats goin on in the area) or chat up other patrons if its a bit fuller.

Generally I dont like eating alone at restaurants but if I have to I bring a magazine or newspaper.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. . . forgo eating altogether and spend the money saved on Vass bespoke.

If you really have to eat, how about putting an ad on craigslist looking for expats:

http://budapest.craigslist.org/

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt there'd be anyway he could word it and not sound like a hooker

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom,

pming you the name and contact details of commercial attache. contact her, tell her you work with me and you are considering relocating to hungary, see if she can connect you with some other young expats in Budapest.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
OK, I hate to have meals alone. That goes triple for meals out--at home it's not a huge deal. Well, for various reasons I am stationary for about a week in a city that I don't know very well (yet) and where I don't know more than one or two people, and for now an inoperable kitchen. I've started looking for local expats, but Americans tend to hang out in expensive places and I'm trying to be a little bit frugal for once. Oh yeah, I don't speak a word of the language.

Any ideas on quick ways to link up with interesting people? Since I'm only here for a week, things like sports and clubs are out. Tonight I'm going to stick my head in on an expat political dinner party, if I'm reading the website correctly (Woo hoo! CE forum in real life!)

Of course, if anyone's going to be in Budapest in the next week, drop me a line!

Tom

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to help, but would benefit greatly from your experience as I'll be visiting Budapest (and Prague) next month.

I'd listen to GT, as he is VERY familiar with the city and gave me recommendations for great hotels, spas, key sites and things to do.

I'd also keep my eye on the Vass as well; I'm hoping to come back with two pair myself.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Zach, thanks, now the PM makes more sense. I'll give her a call tomorrow.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I travel alone for work on occasion, and I often eat alone in restaurants. Bring a book/magazine/newspaper, talk to the wait staff, sit at the bar and talk to other patrons/bartenders, or just enjoy eating alone.

vanity

Reaction score
I like to eat at the bar when I eat alone. When I relocated to Chicago I didn't know anyone here. So the first few months I didn't have a choice, it became a necessity if I wanted to get out of my apartment.

Most times bartenders will talk to you and keep good company. Many were really nice and gave me some free drinks in addition to introducing me to others. It's amazing how hospitable people become when they know you're new and don't know anyone. They seem to really go out of their way to help you out and make sure you enjoy yourself.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I suppse you could go to a restaurant and eat at the bar. Chat up the bartender if its emty (good way to find out whats goin on in the area) or chat up other patrons if its a bit fuller.

Generally I dont like eating alone at restaurants but if I have to I bring a magazine or newspaper.

This was my favorite thing to do when I was in the sticks in Japan....although half the time the bartenders didn't speak any English. Didn't bother me after a few drinks though.........
blush.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a somewhat social atmosphere, then Irish and English pubs are always a good bet. Farmiliar language, people are generally pretty friendly, and its not expensive. I did that sometimes when I was travelling for business and just wanted a no nonsense meal where I could have a it of a chat and sometimes end up drinking the evening away.

K

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
This was my favorite thing to do when I was in the sticks in Japan....although half the time the bartenders didn't speak any English. Didn't bother me after a few drinks though.........
blush.gif

After a few drinks, the only word you need to know is kanpai!

Jon.

Kasper

Reaction score
I have never had a problem eating alone and actually sometimes enjoy it. I think it has a lot to do with self confidence. I recommend putting on your best suit and a nice pair of shoes and forget about being alone.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Zach, thanks, now the PM makes more sense.

I'm imagining a name and phone number, no details. I think that if globe sent me a PM like that, I'd assume it was a hit.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads