• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspo For a Tall Skinny Dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolmoose

Reaction score
As much as I love Reddit, I'm glad to have a new place for fashion advice and inspiration. I'm 6'2", 150 pounds and 16 years old. I'm rather fond of the SLP look, and I have a pair of brown suede chelsea boots I'm fond of. However, I could use a bit of Spring/Summer inspiration. I live in the especially hot and dry part of Texas, so usually I'll throw on some chino shorts and plain crewneck t-shirt. But I want to do more than that, as it's a little boring. Any inspiration or advice?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have a 17 year old son, who is also tall and skinny (though not so tall), and frankly, for affordable fashion, you might try www.asos.com

Personally, I wear Alternative Apparel V necks and jeans and Van slip ons all summer, and sometimes a mesh scarf from Robert Geller, but other than that, I woud say, maybe espadrilles? They come in all types of prices. Check out Yoox for something on sale, and look for a brand called Castaner

koolmoose

Reaction score
I like ASOS's chinos but their shirts do not fit me very well, even their long t-shirts. Maybe I could bring crop tops back. But on a more serious note, I was thinking of loose, lightweight lightwash denim and linen pants this year with my Birkenstocks. But chances are, I'll burn alive. So far I've really liked J. Crew Factory medium tall t-shirts

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like ASOS's chinos but their shirts do not fit me very well, even their long t-shirts. Maybe I could bring crop tops back. But on a more serious note, I was thinking of loose, lightweight lightwash denim and linen pants this year with my Birkenstocks. But chances are, I'll burn alive. So far I've really liked J. Crew Factory medium tall t-shirts
At 6'2", you might need longer tees, that's true. It really depends on your proportions, and where you like your tees to hit. ime, some Alternative Apparel tees are pretty long.

Croptops have been popular for women for about 3 summers already, maybe more.

My wife is from Texas. You will burn alive no matter what you are wearing, but unless you really hate life, I would avoid anything particularly fitted.

Linen pants and shorts are probably good ideas. If you are into them, short brimmed hats are pretty popular right now, and accessories are particularly affordable luxuries. I like those by Kijima Takayuki, which I get from Japan. He makes some great hats out of linen every summer, which are comfortable and will protect your eyes if you don't want to wear sunglasses. You can google them, and get Zenmarket (an affiliate, and your first order is free of fees if you sign up through Styleforum:http://www.styleforum.net/t/518233/...e-zenmarket-jp-official-affiliate-vendor/0_50) or some other proxy to get them on your behalf. Engineered Garments has also been putting out some good ones.

Seriously though, instead of Birks (which are comfortable, I'll grant you), try Castaner espadrilles, which are great for summer: http://www.castaner.com/en-us/shop/man-1

koolmoose

Reaction score
I'll be sure to check out Alternative Apparel. I've got some pretty sweet medically ordered purple sunglasses which I had put into some sweet vintage 70s frames, which kinda look Wayfarers but smaller lenses. I'm a marching band man, so my general summer philosophy is wear as little as possible. I have 3 bracelets I always wear as accessories. I've been growing my hair out pretty long, so I don't think hats are gonna do much for me this year. In summer here, I really try not to wear closed toe shoes, even espadrilles for the sake of convenience for changing into my rehearsal clothes and so my feet don't boil in sweat. I definitely agree on no form fitting stuff in Texas summers. I think linen pants should do pretty well, and loose, cropped lightwash jeans might be okay too. If I wear shorts I'll wear my Stans or Vans, but if I'm wearing pants I think I'll try sticking to my Birks unless it looks stupid

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be sure to check out Alternative Apparel. I've got some pretty sweet medically ordered purple sunglasses which I had put into some sweet vintage 70s frames, which kinda look Wayfarers but smaller lenses. I'm a marching band man, so my general summer philosophy is wear as little as possible. I have 3 bracelets I always wear as accessories. I've been growing my hair out pretty long, so I don't think hats are gonna do much for me this year. In summer here, I really try not to wear closed toe shoes, even espadrilles for the sake of convenience for changing into my rehearsal clothes and so my feet don't boil in sweat. I definitely agree on no form fitting stuff in Texas summers. I think linen pants should do pretty well, and loose, cropped lightwash jeans might be okay too. If I wear shorts I'll wear my Stans or Vans, but if I'm wearing pants I think I'll try sticking to my Birks unless it looks stupid
FWIW, our editor-in-chief, who nearly always looks pretty cool, is always in his Birks, including for impromptu photoshoots:

We laugh at him, but they seem to work for him.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

koolmoose

Reaction score
Yeah Outlier is way out of my budget. I can't get a job or drive, so I'm kinda stuck on my parents' dime. Not many options for the teenaged legally blind. For cropped pants, I go 2 to 4 inches shorter in the inseam. It's not great but it looks alright. Also, Mr. Editor-in-Chief looks totally awesome

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Outlier is way out of my budget. I can't get a job or drive, so I'm kinda stuck on my parents' dime. Not many options for the teenaged legally blind. For cropped pants, I go 2 to 4 inches shorter in the inseam. It's not great but it looks alright. Also, Mr. Editor-in-Chief looks totally awesome
Probably go with Uniqlo then. I once saw a pair of pants from them for $1.90, which is about the price of a small coffee.

koolmoose

Reaction score
I don't have a Uniqulo in my state, and after all I've heard on Reddit lately, I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea to order from them online. Has the quality really gone down that much recently?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Uniqulo in my state, and after all I've heard on Reddit lately, I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea to order from them online. Has the quality really gone down that much recently?
Frankly, the quality was nothing to rave about the begin with. But I would take things that you hear about "atrocious quality", on reddit, on Styleforum, frankly, anywhere online, with a grain of salt.

koolmoose

Reaction score
Yeah, figured. Never believed they were as amazing as MFA circlejerks them to be. I know H&M has even worse quality, but I have one near me so at least I can try things on. Recently though I've started replacing a lot of my old stuff with better fitting J. Crew and JCF things, so I'll go pay their store a visit to see if there's anything linen or really lightweight cotton that catches my eye so I can remember to look for it in the sales. Since my sizing is a little weird, I like to try things on, so I mostly try to stick to brands that have stores near me. If Brooks Brothers has a particularly nice sale soon, I'll see if they got anything that's a good fit for me and my S/S16 hippie look

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, figured. Never believed they were as amazing as MFA circlejerks them to be. I know H&M has even worse quality, but I have one near me so at least I can try things on. Recently though I've started replacing a lot of my old stuff with better fitting J. Crew and JCF things, so I'll go pay their store a visit to see if there's anything linen or really lightweight cotton that catches my eye so I can remember to look for it in the sales. Since my sizing is a little weird, I like to try things on, so I mostly try to stick to brands that have stores near me. If Brooks Brothers has a particularly nice sale soon, I'll see if they got anything that's a good fit for me and my S/S16 hippie look
A lot of places have free shipping and returns these days, so that should really open up your options.

koolmoose

Reaction score
I'm good on basics. I have a few louder pieces too. I just need an inspiration album or something for summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads