• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

insider's watch?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="vinouspleasure" ...do people here really understand the qualitative differences btw the watches?[/quote]

Yes - but TZ or TRF would also serve you well.

Last edited:

6up

Reaction score
bump...

So what did the "OP" end up purchasing?

ShelterIslandMike

Reaction score
I have a Breitling Colt Automatic. Nothing fancy about it - just a solid, functional sports watch. But I also have three other watches in the rotation: J Crew Timex, Baume Mercier Hamptons (black leather band) and a Swiss Military for knocking around. I'm covered, so I'm free to spend my money on suits and sports jackets.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MEN! I'd definitely give my vote to JLC.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

personally I think the ultimate in 'insiders watch' that's only recognized by a few, is the MIH watch
http://www.mih-watch.ch/

Amen to that!

AMEN! I'd definitely give my vote to JLC.

All wrong - this is it:

BR.jpg

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, did I write that OP? I can't imagine having the time to form those thoughts and post those long, tortured sentences. I almost bought a stowa, then I almost bought a jlc, then I almost bought an omega sapphire sandwich and then I formed a startup with some friends/ex-colleagues and now I don't have time to look (or post).

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I actually have the JLC master ultrathin, but wish I also had the Zenith Elite H.W. that are both on the first page. :eek: Both are nice archetypal dress watches, a little different. (I didn't know that Zenith was that cheap back then either) The JLC doesn't even have a seconds hand, it's the epitome of simple. It's almost soothing to pop the crown on it and dial in the time (which I check on my iPhone, thank you 2011) and then give it a bit of power, pop it back in and it just invisibly scoots along. Day-dates and stuff are maddening to me sometimes, my other watches never read correctly because I can't be bothered to set them.

The bezel and dial on the JLC are beautiful - just the right proportions for everything and nice figuring on the dial markers, it gives a quality impression, despite its simplicity. It's just so subtle though, it doesn't even seem like I'm wearing a watch, in this day and age of huge watches. Fits nicely under my shirt cuff too, so it really disappears. The logo on the dial is so small, and it's so simple and generic looking, someone asked me if it was a J. Lindeberg X Swatch :lol:

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the OP did or why this thread popped back up, but it seems like a lot of the answers here are just people's dream watches rather than watches for people "in the know" which seems to be the OP's request.

If you really want a watch that regular people won't know about - I'd suggest Grand Seiko. You can get them at seiyajapan.com and their quality is definitely better than Rolex.

A. Lange & Sohne makes some lovely understated watches - Phillipe Dufour, arguably the greatest watchmaker alive, has openly commented on the high level of quality and the Lange 1 is just a beautiful watch.

If you have big money, get a Dufour Simplicity. Nobody who isn't really into watches will recognize it...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Lange 1 is so expensive that it's not really for people 'in the know' so much as people who are rich, and want one of the finest watches in the world, quite simply. It's not particularly rare or unknown, considering its pricetag - you can get one fairly easily if you can pay for one. Lange is not Rolex by any means, but if you said 'I have $30,000 to spend on a watch, what should I get?" - it'd probably pop up on your radar sooner than later. I agree that the Grand Seikos are an insider's watch though - a lot of go, less show.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Lange 1 is so expensive that it's not really for people 'in the know' so much as people who are rich, and want one of the finest watches in the world, quite simply. It's not particularly rare or unknown, considering its pricetag - you can get one fairly easily if you can pay for one. Lange is not Rolex by any means, but if you said 'I have $30,000 to spend on a watch, what should I get?" - it'd probably pop up on your radar sooner than later. I agree that the Grand Seikos are an insider's watch though - a lot of go, less show.

You are probably right about the Lange.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads