1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Inside Vincent Nicolosi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 5, 2007.

1. tteplitzmd

tteplitzmd Active Member

Mr. Manton has an odd perpective. I would avoid this man at all costs. He is dishonest, miserable, and capable of doing only what he cares to do. I see no reason to deal with a merchant/tailor who has no accountability whatsoever. The only recourse is to avoid him, and render this opinion when and where I care to.

My comments are a 'public service announcement.' For accounting purposes how much does one claim as a charitable deduction for a once worn Nicolosi suit? Anyone? Anyone?

Perhaps Mr. Manton can deduct his Nicolosi suit as a 'uniform' expense. I can't.

2. svtrader

svtrader Member

This man is an aging paranoic narcissist. I meekly asked for the cuffs at least to be 1 3/4 inches, VN replied, no 1 1/2, I suggested that we split the difference and go 1 5/8, VN replied NO.

This is comical if not sad.

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

I didn't get the thread title until today and now I can't stop feeling gross.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guys, let's not turn this into a cross-forum bashing. I have no idea why Andy said what he said and so I clearly cannot comment on it one way or the other; however, since nobody seems to know the story, maybe we should just let it rest and move on with the topic.

He bought it up, in a manner that is equivalent to a car side-swiping you and then not stopping. Add to that how they've effectively washed their hands of Carlo Franco, after anointing him at the CSE bashes, and their credibilty is dubious at best.

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mr. Manton has an odd perpective. I would avoid this man at all costs. He is dishonest, miserable, and capable of doing only what he cares to do. I see no reason to deal with a merchant/tailor who has no accountability whatsoever. The only recourse is to avoid him, and render this opinion when and where I care to.

My comments are a 'public service announcement.' For accounting purposes how much does one claim as a charitable deduction for a once worn Nicolosi suit? Anyone? Anyone?

Perhaps Mr. Manton can deduct his Nicolosi suit as a 'uniform' expense. I can't.

I just think telling the truth is the right thing to do. My one Nicolosi suit is a disaster. But many others I have seen are fantastic. It would be false to say that my bad experience defines the man and his skills.

6. Brad

Brad Senior member

He bought it up, in a manner that is equivalent to a car side-swiping you and then not stopping. Add to that how they've effectively washed their hands of Carlo Franco, after anointing him at the CSE bashes, and their credibilty is dubious at best.

I agree 100%. Maybe Chris refused to kiss the ring.

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Okay, but if it's going to be addressed, it should probably be addressed over there.

8. Zegnamtl

Zegnamtl Senior member

I just think telling the truth is the right thing to do. My one Nicolosi suit is a disaster. But many others I have seen are fantastic. It would be false to say that my bad experience defines the man and his skills.

Manton,

I know this thread is suppose to be about your Nicolosi, but if I may ask,
    Do you have any first hand experience with any of the small Naples bespoke shops?

9. Manton

Do you have any first hand experience with any of the small Naples bespoke shops?

Limited, and through an intermediary.

10. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

For accounting purposes how much does one claim as a charitable deduction for a once worn Nicolosi suit? Anyone? Anyone?

The following is in part my understanding from discussing the issue with my accountant.

You can deduct the "fair reasonable value" of the item given to a charity.

The "fair and reasonable" value of a donation is based upon usefulness, condition, desirability, depreciation, and what the item would sell for in the used market. One benchmark is what the item would sell for in a "resale" store or eBay.

Unfortunately, you cannot expect to recoup your purchase price on this type of item. Generally, used clothing is like a car; once it leaves the store, the value drops.

Bespoke clothing has a lower resale value than a well known RTW brand. Typically, a bespoke suit would have a value of 15-20% of its initial retail price.

Generally, thrift stores do not want to get into valuing the donations. They leave valuation to the donor.

11. tteplitzmd

tteplitzmd Active Member

But Mark, there's lots of hand work.

12. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

Three quick points:

1. Vincent can be quite painful to deal with -- no question

2. As Collarmelton states, he does make some incredible garments (not consistently though) -- one of my best suits and one of my worst suits were both made by him

3. Having seen Manton wearing his Nicolosi suit (during fittings and when completed) -- it was one of the best looking suits I have seen him wear -- to this day, I scratch my head as to what was so wrong about that suit -- he and I both have suits with more "defects" than that suit -- reasonable people will however disagree -- it may be more instructive for him to post pictures in that suit from various angles (the photo posted before was not of Manton's suit I think -- pls correct me if I am mistaken)

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Three quick points:

1. Vincent can be quite painful to deal with -- no question

2. As Collarmelton states, he does make some incredible garments (not consistently though) -- one of my best suits and one of my worst suits were both made by him

3. Having seen Manton wearing his Nicolosi suit (during fittings and when completed) -- it was one of the best looking suits I have seen him wear -- to this day, I scratch my head as to what was so wrong about that suit -- he and I both have suits with more "defects" than that suit -- reasonable people will however disagree -- it may be more instructive for him to post pictures in that suit from various angles (the photo posted before was not of Manton's suit I think -- pls correct me if I am mistaken)

Didn't Manton just cut it to pieces?

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Does this mitigate it?

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=70833[​IMG]

15. tteplitzmd

tteplitzmd Active Member

Reasonable men agree that Nicolosi is disagreable. Careful readers will note an undercurrent of rigidity in this tailor which presumably leads to the disasters. That he does not use a paper pattern is perhaps the most damning evidence. You get whatever his mood dictates at the moment, with his obsession with 'proportion'...
    Drape that.

16. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Why don't you NYC guys ask Ed Hayes to chime in? He has commissioned more from VN than most. I greatly value his input, as someone who has seen it all over the years.

17. Manton

3it was one of the best looking suits I have seen him wear

You've said this before, and I think you are simply misremembering it. It was easily the worst looking suit I have ever gotten, from any source. Mulitiple problems (stated above). No fewer than three accomplished bespoke tailors offered to try to fix it, only to give up and pronounce it unfixable.

18. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

Okay, but if it's going to be addressed, it should probably be addressed over there.

Perhaps, you could ?