1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Inside the Boeing Factory

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by meister, Jun 6, 2011.

1. meister

meister Senior member

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

It's mind-boggling, really, when you think of what goes into the production of something like that.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

How big is the factory?

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

From wiki:

5. Andrewc2232

Andrewc2232 Senior member

The more you know about physics/engineering, the more astounding stuff like this becomes. I've tried to imagine exactly how much has gone into some of the major designs of the century (Iowa class battleships, Saturn V/Space Shuttle, Concorde, 747, etc etc), and I simply can't. Astounding.

6. gauche.story

gauche.story Senior member

Gorgeous. It must be awesome to be part of such a great team effort like that.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I tried to locate the factory by just google mapping "Everett, WA". Took 1 min.

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

The more you know about physics/engineering, the more astounding stuff like this becomes. I've tried to imagine exactly how much has gone into some of the major designs of the century (Iowa class battleships, Saturn V/Space Shuttle, Concorde, 747, etc etc), and I simply can't. Astounding.

X2. Truly ridiculous and incredible.

9. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

I tried to locate the factory by just google mapping "Everett, WA". Took 1 min.

interesting activity.. never tried that before. Did you catch the aircraft carrier at the dock?

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

At least they had some sort of early-computer systems to help with the calculations (to say nothing of modern computers) when it comes to modern space / aircraft / warships. I'm still amazed that the Empire State building / Chrysler building was built using hand-done calculations.

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

The hump at the front of the 747 is the result of demands by Pan Am's Juan Trippe.

12. unjung

unjung Senior member

The level of responsibility the assemblers have must be very high. It's like assembling multiple spacecraft, really. One loose wire and you kill a lot of people.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

At least they had some sort of early-computer systems to help with the calculations (to say nothing of modern computers) when it comes to modern space / aircraft / warships. I'm still amazed that the Empire State building / Chrysler building was built using hand-done calculations.

NYC skyscrapers are weird because the city is so cramped with them you don't even realize you're standing at the foot of the empire state or chrysler building. Then when you see them from places like soho they actually look really stumpy. chicago on the other hand... when you are at the willis/sears tower or hancock you can feel the epicness.

I was on a sailboat off the coast of maine in whale waters.... saw some blue whales and one underwater about 30ft off the boat... to think that there are mammals that are 60ft plus just kind of swimming about.

then we saw a sperm whale... and it was around 30ft long... and was thinking about how fucking Killer Whales eat 30ft sperm whales. And how sperm whales eat giant squid...

I felt like a fucking peon on this earth...

I can only imagine thats the feeling seeing the boeing factory.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

^^ that reminds me of Blue Planet when they're talking about the blue whale. It's rear fin is over 30 ft wide, some of it's blood vessels are large enough for a human to swim through, 100ft long, etc... crazy.

15. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I visited the factory like 4-5 years ago. I still can't believe they haven't gotten that albatross off the ground yet.

16. Logan

Logan Senior member

Best thread in a long, long time.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

NYC skyscrapers are weird because the city is so cramped with them you don't even realize you're standing at the foot of the empire state or chrysler building. Then when you see them from places like soho they actually look really stumpy. chicago on the other hand... when you are at the willis/sears tower or hancock you can feel the epicness.

The Empire State is [​IMG] in terms of looks, I merely marvel at the engineering involved in doing all the math by hand. The Chrysler building on the other hand looks amazing, especially when you see its glimmering top shining on a sunny day.

18. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

whilst not taking away from the impressiveness of engineering before computers, alot of designs contained huge amounts of conservatism.

the really impressive engineering done these days is when that conservatism is shaved right back using complicated modelling to create very cost effective and efficient designs.

19. Andrewc2232

Andrewc2232 Senior member

That's very true--before computer modelling a lot of stuff was hugely overdesigned. Plus, previous engineering successes can always be used as a starting point for the designs to follow. But even considering that, some of the stuff we as a species have done over the years is still totally unbelievable to me.

The dawn of flight at the turn of the century to the Blackbird just five decades later?

20. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That's very true--before computer modelling a lot of stuff was hugely overdesigned. Plus, previous engineering successes can always be used as a starting point for the designs to follow. But even considering that, some of the stuff we as a species have done over the years is still totally unbelievable to me.

The dawn of flight at the turn of the century to the Blackbird just five decades later?

First airplane flight: December 17, 1903.

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird: First flight: 22 December 1964

61 ≠ five decades.