• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inserting money into any ATM?

savvyibd

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question..

I've ALWAYS used my own bank's ATM. Is it possible to DEPOSIT money into my account via debit card at any ATM in the USA? I have Chase (if that matters) for private checking. I have a check I'd like to deposit (I'm not at home and no Chase ATMs around) or do I have to go to a Chase ATM?

I thought with an ATM you could do anything (hence the fees) however I went to a credit union to insert the monies and I couldn't find a Deposit window.

Thanks (I felt like an idiot with a few cars behind me)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some ATM models (older ones - or bare bones cash dispensers) will not allow deposits.

Most models allow check deposits (in envelopes).

Newer models (in some countries) allow for non-envelope cash deposits, but these are not as prevalent due to counterfeiting.

Newest models often include check imaging. Imaging scans a check directly without an envelope.

It is safe to assume that if the deposit function is available through the user interface after you have already swiped your third-party ATM card, you can make a deposit into it.

That being said, I don't think the deposit function would be available if it wasn't your bank. I think they need your account number to process the deposit and that is confidential to your own bank.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Some ATM models (older ones - or bare bones cash dispensers) will not allow deposits.

Most models allow check deposits (in envelopes).

Newer models (in some countries) allow for non-envelope cash deposits, but these are not as prevalent due to counterfeiting.

Newest models often include check imaging. Imaging scans a check directly without an envelope.

It is safe to assume that if the deposit function is available through the user interface after you have already swiped your third-party ATM card, you can make a deposit into it.

That being said, I don't think the deposit function would be available if it wasn't your bank. I think they need your account number to process the deposit and that is confidential to your own bank.

It was a bare-bones machine (with no envelopes to insert monies). I know there's a BofA around here with a check image scanner. I'll try there. but you don't think it'll work? That's really odd - I thought that was the point of the Visa system and ATMs. I can wait until I get back to deposit the check (how long would a non-your own bank check take to clear?) but I just wanted to get it out of the way now before I forget.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
isnt chase everrryyywhere?

Yeah just look for the giant red thumb tacks.

Seriously though, I'm not completely sure. I did a bit of work around ATMs for my job but I never found out about the deposit thing. I think that if it offers the function, it would make sense that you could make the deposit. I am guessing if you cannot, the screen will not show you the option to do so.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Not at the line of NY/VT according to the website. Or anywhere within 50 miles.

I'll go in a few minutes and let everybody know (in case others need to). I can see at least this wasn't too dumb of a question.

Metro: Can I ask which branch in Manhattan you think offers the best and quickest CS?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To deposit a check, your own bank has to clear it. As far as I know, not possible through another bank or their ATMs. You can always just mail the deposit to your bank.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
Not at the line of NY/VT according to the website. Or anywhere within 50 miles.

I'll go in a few minutes and let everybody know (in case others need to). I can see at least this wasn't too dumb of a question.

Metro: Can I ask which branch in Manhattan you think offers the best and quickest CS?

Sorry, what's CS?

I use Citi - it's the wrong choice though. Chase has more locations, which means fewer fees and more convenience. It's also at Grand Central which is useful for some people. The only saving grace of Citi is that the new Mets stadium will have their ATMs!

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Sorry, what's CS?

I use Citi - it's the wrong choice though. Chase has more locations, which means fewer fees and more convenience. It's also at Grand Central which is useful for some people. The only saving grace of Citi is that the new Mets stadium will have their ATMs!

Customer service.

Yeah, I don't like Citi. I used to have a CC with them but cancelled. Just Chase for United FFP and AmEx.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
BofA image scanners do NOT work for any deposits.

You mean for non-BOFA deposits? Or are they just broken, lol?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads