• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Insane workouts

dhaller

Reaction score
So I started at a CrossFit gym a month ago, and of course we program differing workouts daily. It's been fantastic (if at times painful) so far, and I've seen better results per unit time with CF than with anything else I've ever done. That said, my coach can be a beast!

I just looked at tomorrow's workout:

In 20 Minutes or Less Complete
100 Box Jumps 20”
100 Push-Ups
100 Double Unders
100 Air Squats
Score for Time or Number of Reps.

This is crazy! Is such a feat even possible! That's like 3 seconds per maneuver...

DH

ps. I'm totally addicted to the pain anyway, so I'll certainly give it a go :slayer:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your goals?

Crossfit works for some people, but I tend to dislike it because of its 'one size fits all' approach. You've got a room full of people, all with different goals, doing the same thing.

I do crossfit style workouts for cardio, but they are only an addition to a solid strength based routine.

dhaller

Reaction score
My goal initially is general improvement of cardio fitness and endurance, and general improvement of strength and flexibility.

I do plan on developing more strength later, but after establishing a solid foundation of general fitness and improved core strength and stability.

Background: I had open-heart surgery in May 2009 (CABG-4 or a "quadruple bypass") when I was just 42 - it's been a long road back to an acceptable level of fitness, and CF is sort of the "next level". So far so good!

DH

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have to complete 1 exercise before going on to the next one? I like Crossfit but didn't want to pay $100+ a month to do it in a gym. I have weights at my place but I've been too lazy to do it. Hard to get motivated when you lift yourself. Haha.

Crazy about having the heart surgery. The doctor cleared you for hard workouts?

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have to complete 1 exercise before going on to the next one? I like Crossfit but didn't want to pay $100+ a month to do it in a gym. I have weights at my place but I've been too lazy to do it. Hard to get motivated when you lift yourself. Haha.

If he was a proper man he'd do this :D http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3224745.stm

(Ranulph Fiennes is ex-SAS and seemingly a complete fruitloop who said he shouldn't have done it but it shows that anything's possible.)

dhaller

Reaction score

Many complain about the cost of Crossfit gyms (mine is $150/month) but the benefits of coaching staff who get to know your particular strengths/weaknesses and the overall seriousness of the other members (no one reading a magazine on a treadmill in my gym...) creates, for me, an atmosphere which really kicks me to a higher level than I would probably be attaining at home (or even just working out alone at the Y).

I pay my housekeeping service $250 a month and about $150 a month on lawncare, so if I'm paying $400 a month to keep my house in order, I should be willing to fork out an equal or greater amount for personal fitness! By that calculus it's a bargain.

I'm betting 95% of Americans pay more on their car note than they do on keeping themselves fit; priorities!

DH

ps. As to being cleared by a doctor: no cardiologist in the US is ever going to clear a heart patient for Crossfit - just too much liability exposure - even if he/she regards the patient as able. So, I cleared myself. One month in (and the hardest month, to be sure) and I'm fine, so I proceed apace.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always think of crossfit as like the hipster version of powerlifting/olympic lifting. I can't just do normal deadlifts, I have to do straight leg, snatch grip, deficit, chain deadlifts for 10000 reps because it's more functional then normal deads.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many complain about the cost of Crossfit gyms (mine is $150/month) but the benefits of coaching staff who get to know your particular strengths/weaknesses and the overall seriousness of the other members (no one reading a magazine on a treadmill in my gym...) creates, for me, an atmosphere which really kicks me to a higher level than I would probably be attaining at home (or even just working out alone at the Y).

I pay my housekeeping service $250 a month and about $150 a month on lawncare, so if I'm paying $400 a month to keep my house in order, I should be willing to fork out an equal or greater amount for personal fitness! By that calculus it's a bargain.

I'm betting 95% of Americans pay more on their car note than they do on keeping themselves fit; priorities!

DH

ps. As to being cleared by a doctor: no cardiologist in the US is ever going to clear a heart patient for Crossfit - just too much liability exposure - even if he/she regards the patient as able. So, I cleared myself. One month in (and the hardest month, to be sure) and I'm fine, so I proceed apace.

I started Crossfitting in 2003 and still use much of CF in my current workouts, although I don't follow the WOD as posted. While the cult-like nonsense of CF can be very off-putting, I do think CF is 10X better than the average bench press, curls, etc. crap that most people do. One big issue I have with CF is the idea that the personal coaching is worth the premium gym membership. Many of these CF affiliates have wonderful coaches, but you can start an affiliate by simply attending a 2 day CF workshop. To think that someone could become a qualified coach in 2 days (esp. in regards to the Olympic lifts) is nuts; just as ludicrous as thinking a person could attend a 2 day workshop in kickboxing and start up their own kickboxing academy.

dhaller

Reaction score

I started Crossfitting in 2003 and still use much of CF in my current workouts, although I don't follow the WOD as posted. While the cult-like nonsense of CF can be very off-putting, I do think CF is 10X better than the average bench press, curls, etc. crap that most people do. One big issue I have with CF is the idea that the personal coaching is worth the premium gym membership. Many of these CF affiliates have wonderful coaches, but you can start an affiliate by simply attending a 2 day CF workshop. To think that someone could become a qualified coach in 2 days (esp. in regards to the Olympic lifts) is nuts; just as ludicrous as thinking a person could attend a 2 day workshop in kickboxing and start up their own kickboxing academy.

Agreed.

I visited about 10 CF affiliated gyms and interviewed quite a few coaches and owners before settling on one; I'm pretty happy with the comprehensive fitness knowledge of the coaches at the one I selected. While no one coach there knows "everything", collectively they are an impressive source of help and information.

My plan is to reevaluate annually (there will certainly be turnover in staff over time, so the expertise profile will vary); in any case, I think there is value in getting fresh perspectives periodically, even if the current perspectives are perfectly fine.

I did discover a lot of antipathy for CF when I was first researching it - the main reason cited being the "cult-like" quality of the membership - but I have yet to feel that at my gym. Everyone I've met are basically a mix of young and old, student and professional, with a commitment to fitness (but who don't necessarily embrace fitness as a religion).

Some of the coaches are absurdly hard-core, though, I'll admit that!

DH

millionaire75

Reaction score

Agreed.

I visited about 10 CF affiliated gyms and interviewed quite a few coaches and owners before settling on one; I'm pretty happy with the comprehensive fitness knowledge of the coaches at the one I selected. While no one coach there knows "everything", collectively they are an impressive source of help and information.

My plan is to reevaluate annually (there will certainly be turnover in staff over time, so the expertise profile will vary); in any case, I think there is value in getting fresh perspectives periodically, even if the current perspectives are perfectly fine.

I did discover a lot of antipathy for CF when I was first researching it - the main reason cited being the "cult-like" quality of the membership - but I have yet to feel that at my gym. Everyone I've met are basically a mix of young and old, student and professional, with a commitment to fitness (but who don't necessarily embrace fitness as a religion).

Some of the coaches are absurdly hard-core, though, I'll admit that!

DH

I'll echo what you guys both said. I've been doing crossfit for almost two years now and love it. i don't think I can ever go back to anything else. It started as a class at my gym that you had to pay extra for. Recently, there was a falling out between the crossfit instructor and the gym so he left and opened his own place. While I like the guy, I can do the WODs on my own at the gym for $30 a month (and have full access to other aspects of the gym like sauna, racquetball, cardio) instead of paying $100 plus to do just crossfit. I actually spoke this summer to another guy who owns a crossfit box in my area and he himself said he doesn't think crossfit will be able to last in that once bigger gyms realize they can charge less for the classes (without using the crossfit name but same wods), people won't pay extra for crossfit boxes.

As I said, I love crossfit and have seen great results. The whole cult aspect is very off-putting as many critics have said but it is essentially harmless.

Sounds like crossfit is working for you.....Keep up the great work and good luck!

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cult-like mentatlity is most noticeable on the CF website, but the people I'v actually met in CF have been very cool. I can't justify $150 per month when I have all of the equipment (yes, all of the equipment) and most CF gyms usually limit available times to morning sessions and evening sessions. Rarely can you just walk right in and use the gym on your own. Regardless of these issues, it is a damn fine way to get fit.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the problem with crossfit is the stereotypical person who does crossfit. "bro, you should do crossfit, its better than what you're doing. crossfit. CROSSFIT. bro, do crossfit." much like the apple people - apple products thing. i like my ipod, but i ******* detest the people who simply cannot shut the **** up about how apple is unquestionably the best solution for everything technical. a lot of people speak to the motivation and intensity which is great for some. different strokes for different folks - if your main issue is motivation, working hard, etc. without specific goals but with a lot of variety, sure. if thats what gets you fit, then awesome, but don't be that guy who mistakes it for THE answer to all of everyone's fitness goals.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the problem with crossfit is the stereotypical person who does crossfit. "bro, you should do crossfit, its better than what you're doing. crossfit. CROSSFIT. bro, do crossfit." much like the apple people - apple products thing. i like my ipod, but i ******* detest the people who simply cannot shut the **** up about how apple is unquestionably the best solution for everything technical. a lot of people speak to the motivation and intensity which is great for some. different strokes for different folks - if your main issue is motivation, working hard, etc. without specific goals but with a lot of variety, sure. if thats what gets you fit, then awesome, but don't be that guy who mistakes it for THE answer to all of everyone's fitness goals.

You just jelly that I run through the desert whilst holding a loaded barbell over my head doing pistol squats because im so ******* extreme and functional.

Last edited:

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never met a person like that, so stereotypical maybe isn't the right word.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never met a person like that, so stereotypical maybe isn't the right word.

conversely, i've never had to ask a crossfit person about crossfit. whenever the topic of fitness even gets tangentially related to, i get to learn about it all over again. to be fair, its usually the newcomers - its the "those who know, dont say, those who say, dont know" kinda thing. gym-bros eager to ally themselves with a certain method or take on a certain fitness "identity" do most of the talking, while lifters who identify CF for what it is are usually quiet about it and treat it the same as any other method or routine.

out of all fitness stereotypes, the lululemon university girl/soccer mom yoga freak and crossfit bro stand out in my mind the most.

You just jelly that I run through the desert whilst holding a loaded barbell over my head doing pistol squats because im so ******* extreme and functional.

:lol: seriously.

http://zentofitness.com/5-reasons-to-try-crossfit/

...but the guys from 300 did it!!! and now you can squat your way out of a computer chair and do a pullup to escape from a bear.

im all for crossfit if it gets you moving but this lowest-common-denominator thinking is why it has a bad rap amongst some people.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads