• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inquiry

real millions

Reaction score
Hi I have an interest in Japanese denim/Salvage denim basically premium denim in general and I would like to know if you could reference me to a supplier if possible I have an up and coming denim line in the works and want to have access to the best materials possible however I have know idea where to look or start money is not the issue here its finding a connection that can provide blank(i.e. not branded) premium quality denim product for my use if you can help it would be appreciated im located in new york
Thank You

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurabo, with mills is both China and Japan, is one of the biggest suppliers, supplying anyone from the GAP to Paper Denim & Cloth. Kaihara is another good source. There are also good Italian mills. Legler and Montebello (sp?) are famous and come to mind. However, there are a fair number of good denim mills outside of Japan, and even outside Italy, Examples include Tavex (Spain) and Ortalu(sp? Turkey). ringring and others know more about this than I do, and may be of more help with respect to contact numbers, email addresses, and websites. I must note that mills do big volume business, and denim is generally sold by the kilometer, and that a lot of small operations start out by using essentially leftovers... How big is your operation going to be? Do you have a backer with deep pockets?

Is there a particular reason that you want Japanese selvedge denim? Is this going to be a selling point for your company? Some high end companies use non-selvedge, American denim. It can even be a selling point. Rag&Bone, for example, use denim from North Carolina, and previous, I believe, from Kentucky. Most of their jeans are not made from selvedge denim. Crate's big selling point is that it uses deadstock denim sourced from US mills, some now defunct.

It is also important to keep in mind that mills can and do produce different types of denim at different quality levels, from a $2/yard to a $15+/yard jobs. They are obviously meant for different markets, and a 15/yard denim reflects the low quantities produced as well as higher quality, however that can be measured.

real millions

Reaction score
^^thanks for the reponse you shed some light on my situation appreciate it

real millions

Reaction score
LA guy i had to absorb your post......woah lol their was alot of information i needed and wanted in that one i would like to know if the companies you mentioned have websites and or online stores through which i can reach them if you or anyone else here can provide me with references i.e.(contacts, numbers, email addresses, websites, etc...) it would be much appreciated the reason i want acess to japanese denim is because like i said i want access to the best product so i am able to produce the best product and compete respectably i've heard things about the garment district NYC but after reading your post im almost convince its crap and if i go down their i will be waisting my time i doubt their any respectable or well known denim mills their who can produce quality product

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by real millions
LA guy i had to absorb your post......woah lol their was alot of information i needed and wanted in that one i would like to know if the companies you mentioned have websites and or online stores through which i can reach them if you or anyone else here can provide me with references i.e.(contacts, numbers, email addresses, websites, etc...) it would be much appreciated the reason i want acess to japanese denim is because like i said i want access to the best product so i am able to produce the best product and compete respectably i've heard things about the garment district NYC but after reading your post im almost convince its crap and if i go down their i will be waisting my time i doubt their any respectable or well known denim mills their who can produce quality product
Um, there may be perfectly good jeans manufacturers in NYC. I know that there are plenty of decent wash houses in LA. These are different from the mills, however, which provide the raw material. You may choose to go to a reputable manufacturer (again, ringring and others will be more help to you than I would be), and they would make jeans for you according to your specifications, including trims, finishes, etc... Um, are you sure you want to jump into this? The premium denim market is oversaturated and cut throat these days, and unless you have a unique vision (and there are not too many visionaries around), you are going to sink, fast. Rye GB (a member of this forum), I believe, designs jeans, and has done so for a number of companies that have had varying degrees of success. You may want to ask him for some rudimentary advice before jumping into the shark tank.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20041103h4qh.jpg

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
well the alternative would be do like ande whall on the other sf and make individual pieces by hand on request as a beginning--it's been awhile and he's definitely built up some interest amongst the members. a modest but good start.

speaking of visionaries, i think one of the most interesting new jeans startups has to be iron army.

real millions

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Um, there may be perfectly good jeans manufacturers in NYC. I know that there are plenty of decent wash houses in LA. These are different from the mills, however, which provide the raw material. You may choose to go to a reputable manufacturer (again, ringring and others will be more help to you than I would be), and they would make jeans for you according to your specifications, including trims, finishes, etc...

Um, are you sure you want to jump into this? The premium denim market is oversaturated and cut throat these days, and unless you have a unique vision (and there are not too many visionaries around), you are going to sink, fast. Rye GB (a member of this forum), I believe, designs jeans, and has done so for a number of companies that have had varying degrees of success. You may want to ask him for some rudimentary advice before jumping into the shark tank.

^^How would i reach the people you mentioned above

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads