• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inline Skating

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One night I was feeling restless so I went out walking. It turned into a 2 hr walk around random city streets that I had never seen before. I thought I would have gone further on some rollerblades, something I had not owned since I was a tween. I started reading about inline skates for fitness and apparently they have come a long way since the 90's. The materials are much better and they are more comfortable.

I got these:

They are Rollerblade Macroblade 84s. They have aluminum frames and the larger wheels(84mm) lend themselves to going faster and for longer distances than the standard 80mm.

These are so much fun! I imagined using them maybe twice a week, but since I've gotten them two weeks ago, I've used them 5 days a week. I've seen a lot of my surrounding area I otherwise would never have seen and it's been easy for me to lose a bit of weight in this short period of time. As soon as I put them on they just felt familiar even though I was probably 13 years old the last time I skated(31 now). I only lift at the gym and never do cardio, so this is also kind of filling a void in my workout too. I don't even skate for health purposes anyway. It's just a great way to end the day to go out at nightfall, skate for 40 mins to 1 1/2 hr, then come back home and have a glass of wine while enjoying the endorphin high before bed. It makes my sleep feel amazing.

I have no idea why inline skating died out in the 90s. I don't even do any tricks or anything, I just like gliding around the city for long distances. If you're going to buy some I recommend trying them on in a store for sizing. I have to size down 1, and the fit needs to be very specific. One video said your toe should barely touch the end of the skate, but not feel compressed. My fit is like this and I find it comfortable. I also don't wear athletic socks, just thin gold toes. I wonder if water beds have made the same technological advances since the 90's too. How cool would it be to rollerblade then come home to a heated water bed? I would have grown into the coolest adult my 13 year old self could have imagined.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never got why inline skating died out. Probably as the learning curve is steep if you don't learn it young or have ice skating experience.

I haven't done it much since I left NYC a decade ago, but I thought it was awesome from commuting to group night skates.

It also had the advantage that it used more muscle mass than cycling but was less impact and faster than running. But the sensation of gliding very quickly especially at night was the kicker and why it is so addictive if you are a decent skater.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Older thread but are you still using them? Anyone still roller blading?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. I used to use them when I went to Hilton Head, SC where there are a lot of bike paths. But stopped a few years back in favor of using a beach cruiser. The last time I used them in a public (suburban) place, children stopped to stare or point - I guess skating has never been popular in their lifetime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads