• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inks

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is your favorite ink for fountain pens? Both color and brand.

I am thinking of trying the Noodler's Ink, having used Sheaffer's Skrip and Montblanc, which granted are not the most obscure but quite effective.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What is your favorite ink for fountain pens? Both color and brand.

I am thinking of trying the Noodler's Ink, having used Sheaffer's Skrip and Montblanc, which granted are not the most obscure but quite effective.

I've only used fountain pens to write in black and the best black ink that I have found is Aurora. I understand Private Reserve has many wonderful colors.

edit: what fountain pens are you using?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
My favorite is Parker's Quink in blue-black. It is easily available, flows well, and dries on the paper but not on the nib. Blue-black is the color most characteristic of fountain pens and renders that beautifully aqueous line redolent of frolicking dryads and such that only a fountain pen can create.

Omas grey and black are also excellent inks. I used to write with the Omas green, which is lovely.

I use Omas pens almost exclusively -- a black Paragon with an extra-fine extra-flex nib I've had since '94 and a Celluloid in Arco with a nib customized by John Mottishaw that I got last year.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noodler's is the best I have used.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm fond of Italian pens too. They tend to be rather stylish as contrasted with the Teutonic solidness, which tend to be somewhat stodgy.

I use a Delta Nautilus in sterling, vintage 1930s Columbus Celluloid faceted, and an Astura celluloid also in a facet design from 1935.

The facet design, almost a facsimile of Omas's Paragon, seemed to have been popular in the '30s.

aarghh

Reaction score
I like Private Reserve, but my favorite is Pelikan's Black. In case you can't locate that easily, I'm told Cross ink is the same as Pelikan.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noodlers is terrific ink, and their offerings are broad enough that you can find pretty much anyting you want. Aurora blue is my favorite blue.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
So do you guys use fountain pens for everything? Taking notes in meetings, writing out the shopping list, leaving emergency numbers for the babysitter...

Or just more personal or important writing, letters and signatures? I'm really curious. I can't see pulling out a $300 pen when my boss is giving me a list of stuff to work on.

Tom

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom,

I am in the minority - but I only use mine to sign things,and for short handwriten notes. I find that I am too prone to smudge the ink.

gentlemen in the know - I have always tried to carry a pen with an usual color, because I often sign off on documents that have 10 or more signatures, and I like to have a signature that I can see from a bit away and know that I have signed. I started off using red - but felt that was too severe. I have done green, which I didn't like so much, and am now on purple, which my wife doesn't like. any suggestions?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
Tom,

I am in the minority - but I only use mine to sign things,and for short handwriten notes. I find that I am too prone to smudge the ink.

gentlemen in the know - I have always tried to carry a pen with an usual color, because I often sign off on documents that have 10 or more signatures, and I like to have a signature that I can see from a bit away and know that I have signed. I started off using red - but felt that was too severe. I have done green, which I didn't like so much, and am now on purple, which my wife doesn't like. any suggestions?

Pelikan makes a very distinctive ink called Brilliant Brown. It is a shade of sepia that avoids being muddy but also avoids being too orange. Distinctive yet sufficiently businesslike.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
So do you guys use fountain pens for everything? Taking notes in meetings, writing out the shopping list, leaving emergency numbers for the babysitter...

Or just more personal or important writing, letters and signatures? I'm really curious. I can't see pulling out a $300 pen when my boss is giving me a list of stuff to work on.

Tom

I use my $600 custom Omas for nearly everything, including marking documents and taking notes in meetings. No one even raises an eyebrow.

Omas Arco Celluloid

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Pelikan makes a very distinctive ink called Brilliant Brown. It is a shade of sepia that avoids being muddy but also avoids being too orange. Distinctive yet sufficiently businesslike.

thanks - I will look into it. I presently use Pelikan, and like the (struggling for a word here - consistency, texture? ), but I don't have much experience. I think that I will try the brilliant brown next time I buy a bottle.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02

Tom

I use fountain pens for just about everything I do at work. I have one pen that I keep filled with red ink for document mark-ups. The rest I just rotate through depending on my mood. Fountain pens are pretty common. The only pen I think I've had anyone really notice and comment on is a rather ornate Montegrappa in red and silver. The rest of my pens are somewhat low-key.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not that much into pens, but I've got these sitting in a cup in my closet, next to the cufflinks: This is a favourite (it's not the actual one, but identical, except for the odd-looking sticker or something on the clip on this one):
TargaSlimgold460.jpg
Sheaffer Targa Model 1005, gold plated, with matching ballpoint. And then (had to look): Sheaffer gold-plated "Lifetime" model of some sort Old Mont Blanc Meisterstück 82 in gold, with a damaged nib that has to be replaced at exorbitant cost Pelikan M400 in green stripe (downmarket version of this):
PelikanM800.jpg
Then there's a bad copy of a Parker Duofold, and two Parker 61s in black and brushed steel. I rarely use any of them - but when I do, blue Parker Quink goes in them. Photos from www.nibs.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads