• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inis Meain knitwear

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what to wear under a knit? my fisherman crew's neck is rather large. i prefer not showing my tee shirt collar underneath. any suggestions - maybe a scoop neck tee or a tank?

I use Thompson Tee wide v-neck undershirts under my IM Tunics without any peeking out.

michaellosauro

Reaction score
what to wear under a knit? my fisherman crew's neck is rather large. i prefer not showing my tee shirt collar underneath. any suggestions - maybe a scoop neck tee or a tank?
If you can see what's under it (loose weave, etc.), I'll avoid an undershirt altogether. Otherwise, I usually wear some kind of wide/scoop neck tee. Sometimes, a shirt will look really cool peeking out at the neck, just never with a snug crew neck tee.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can see what's under it (loose weave, etc.), I'll avoid an undershirt altogether. Otherwise, I usually wear some kind of wide/scoop neck tee. Sometimes, a shirt will look really cool peeking out at the neck, just never with a snug crew neck tee.

if it is a loose weave, you'll avoid an undershirt? then the loose weave is just showing your chest? i'm confused. also, no undershirt doesn't work because wool is itchy as heck

michaellosauro

Reaction score
if it is a loose weave, you'll avoid an undershirt? then the loose weave is just showing your chest? i'm confused. also, no undershirt doesn't work because wool is itchy as heck
The ones I do this with are generally some kind of sandy color, so an undershirt beneath is much more noticeable than my chest. I have a few very soft (alpaca, yak hair, cotton, etc.) sweaters that I'll do this with. I wouldn't do it with a shetland or other notoriously scratchy sweater, however.

Junglejack

Reaction score
Has Inis Meain ever produced a full-on cashmere sweater? The most I have seen off the top of my head are 10% blends which do not come close to conveying the real cashmere experience. The baby alpaca/silk and Belgian and Irish linen offerings are outstanding as are the various Merinos. Just would think some impeccably sourced 100% Mongolian cashmere in tandem with Meain's knitting would really standout.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i just cut the neck out of a cheap white tee and wear that under the linen tunics

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has Inis Meain ever produced a full-on cashmere sweater? The most I have seen off the top of my head are 10% blends which do not come close to conveying the real cashmere experience. The baby alpaca/silk and Belgian and Irish linen offerings are outstanding as are the various Merinos. Just would think some impeccably sourced 100% Mongolian cashmere in tandem with Meain's knitting would really standout.

I have a pure cashmere knit from them. It's OK. I prefer my other pieces from them, although I'm sure they could design a good pure cashmere knit. The one I have is just a bit thin and flat in texture. The Donegal and linen knits I have from them have more texture; merino-cashmere sweaters are plusher.

Junglejack

Reaction score
I have a pure cashmere knit from them. It's OK. I prefer my other pieces from them, although I'm sure they could design a good pure cashmere knit. The one I have is just a bit thin and flat in texture. The Donegal and linen knits I have from them have more texture; merino-cashmere sweaters are plusher.

Thank you and appreciate the insight. Huge fan of their linen offerings with the linen pub jacket I have being a particular fave. Shame about their pure cashmere offerings thus far.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selling an orange linen pub jacket size small - BNWT $160

nbW3BDP

nbW3BDP

Please pm if interested!

https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/inis-meain-linen-pub-jacket-orange-size-small.15759/

Last edited:

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I've never seen a IM 100% linen sweater in person. Is it lightweight enough to be worn during the summer or it's mostly for fall and spring?

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a IM 100% linen sweater in person. Is it lightweight enough to be worn during the summer or it's mostly for fall and spring?

I have a linen cardigan. It’s light enough that I could probably wear it at night but not during the day with the Florida sun bearing down.

dvmaster

Reaction score
Does anyone know a physical store (or online) that stocks the pub jacket in XXL?

Wrenkin

Reaction score

I have a linen polo that I just got from The Rake. It feels like it weighs one or two pounds. I’m sure it would be nice in a breeze but I haven’t worn it yet as I’m also trying to figure out what season it’s for. Probably best on an actual fishing boat, as shown in the marketing materials.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics