• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inis Meain knitwear

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inis Meain gets the occasional mention around here but I think the brand deserves its own thread. From what I understand, they offer a wide range of knitwear in wool, cashmere and linen. Everything is made in Ireland and the quality is exceptional.

The only online retailers I know of are My-wardrobe, Nitty Gritty, Hartford York and A Suitable Wardrobe, all of which have a very limited selection available through their webstores.

I just picked up the "Raphoe" Donegal cardigan.

inismeain.jpg

Discuss.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DId you get yours from Mywardrobe? They had a really nice 50% off sale, and I was tempted to buy the cream crewneck. But, I really wanted a rollneck. I just ordered the roll neck from Nitty Gritty and am patiently waiting for it to arrive.
inisr.jpg
I'm pretty sure that the Aran sweaters that Axel's is selling are Inis Meain, but they are steep!

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I bought it from My-wardrobe. 30% off. Compensated for shipping and duties.

Nice Aran. Did you size up? The Raphoe runs a bit small so I sized up to a medium. I think a looser fit works well for that kind of chunky knit.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with a medium, which is my 'normal' size. Jet had measurements and it seemed like it would work. Looser fit on knits looks kinda dumb on me because I'm tall and thin, so I'm hoping this one is fairly fitted. Merino always stretches anyway...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Yes, I bought it from My-wardrobe. 30% off. Compensated for shipping and duties.

Nice Aran. Did you size up? The Raphoe runs a bit small so I sized up to a medium. I think a looser fit works well for that kind of chunky knit.

This cardigan is humongous according to what I was told.

nonissue

Reaction score
There was recently a thread about another Irish Aran knitter, but it was more reasonably priced. Does anyone remember what it was?

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't even make size S
frown.gif

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
This cardigan is humongous according to what I was told.

The Raphoe isn't humongous. Here's how the M fits me (36" chest).

raphoefit.jpg

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
There was recently a thread about another Irish Aran knitter, but it was more reasonably priced. Does anyone remember what it was?

Might have been Howlin by Morrison, but there are a bunch of more affordable options.

Originally Posted by PaulYAY
They don't even make size S
frown.gif

Nitty Gritty stocks some models in size S but they were made expressly for the shop.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice fit on the cardi! It'll be interesting to see how the M rollneck fits me- 39" chest. Although, like I said, knits always stretch a bit...

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^They just dropped the price on the two fair isles to 50%!

Racing Green

Reaction score
Typically Irish that you lot can pick up Inis Meain easier than I can here in Dublin. It's the same with Donegal tweeds and knits. I spend a fair bit of time in Donegal and the lack of marketing and pride in their products makes me despair.

Me and the missus are heading to Inis Meain in May to stay in their suites and visit the factory shop. May as well kill two birds with the one stone -

http://www.inismeain.com/en/restaurant/suites1-4.html

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inis Meain has been around for awhile, but it wasn't until recently that they've refocused the brand. What sets their sweaters apart from other makers is the quality of the wools and cottons they use. All of the knitwear is made there on the Inis Meain island, while the new clothing line is all made in Italy under an agreement with (iirc) Luciano Barbera.

Originally Posted by Racing Green
Me and the missus are heading to Inis Meain in May to stay in their suites and visit the factory shop. May as well kill two birds with the one stone -
There's not too much else to do on that island! Assuming the weather's okay, it's a great place to relax for a couple of days.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Cheers Robin, that's very interesting about Barbera. Inis Meain are miles ahead of most Irish labels in terms of focus and marketing and have obviously decided that the indigenous market isn't worth the hassle.

It's the quiet and solitude that I love about remote parts of the west, south west Donegal in particular, but I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Aran Islands despite both my parents being from way out west. Plus it's lamb season when we're going.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads