• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inis Meain knitwear

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm selling an Inis Meain linen pub jacket/cardigan in a color called "optical," which is pretty much just cream/white. New with tags. Retailed at $530. Selling for $225 net to me--so either using PayPal F&F or +4% using regular payment--with free shipping anywhere in the US.

The sweater is originally from Ryland and you can still find the listing here: https://rylandlife.com/products/inis-meain-linen-jacket-optical

Inis Meain knitted linen pub jacket in ivory in size XL.jpg

Inis Meain knitted linen pub jacket in ivory in size XL_2.jpg

Inis Meain knitted linen pub jacket in ivory in size XL_3.jpg

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm selling an Inis Meain linen pub jacket/cardigan in a color called "optical," which is pretty much just cream/white. New with tags. Retailed at $530. Selling for $225 net to me--so either using PayPal F&F or +4% using regular payment--with free shipping anywhere in the US.

The sweater is originally from Ryland and you can still find the listing here: https://rylandlife.com/products/inis-meain-linen-jacket-optical

View attachment 1410742

View attachment 1410743

View attachment 1410744
Just bumping this with a price drop to $175 shipped via F&F.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a moss green wool/alpaca field coat from Inis Meain (size L) that I'm looking to sell. I've listed it on eBay here but would be willing to extend an SF discount to any buyers here.
Inis Meain Moss Green Shaggy Alpaca Blend Check Field Coat.jpg

gardenvariety

Reaction score
Question on the stretching/shrinking of IM linen tunic sweater (this one):

I am debating whether to keep or return. It's borderline short on me (raising arms shows a little stomach), and wondering if:

1) it will shrink at all if I wash in cold water and
2) if I can stretch it lengthwise at all since it's shorter than I'd like.

I know looser gauge sweaters have some leeway in terms of stretching, but never owned a linen knit like this before.

AlexS

Reaction score
My IM linen tunic has stretched quite a bit naturally from wearing it (especial in chest, shoulders, sleeve length)---approximately more than 1/2 size up (not in a bad way--if anything the fabric feels softer and better than new now). Thus, I suspect it could be stretched lengthwise manually. I have only had it professionally washed (possibly dry cleaned or cold wash) and that has not shrunk it at all.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on the stretching/shrinking of IM linen tunic sweater (this one):

I am debating whether to keep or return. It's borderline short on me (raising arms shows a little stomach), and wondering if:

1) it will shrink at all if I wash in cold water and
2) if I can stretch it lengthwise at all since it's shorter than I'd like.

I know looser gauge sweaters have some leeway in terms of stretching, but never owned a linen knit like this before.

The linen tunics can be stretched easily when wet, and will also loosen a little with natural wear as mentioned above.

I've stretched out the linen after washing pieces that were a touch small, and I've also shrunk linen tunics that were a bit too big. (I've got around 60-ish IM pieces, and the linen tunics make up the most of a single type that I own - trust me on this ;) )

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Easily Amused what is your shrinking method for linen tunics?
For tunics, I'd first try simply washing (in a large sweater bag) with a higher spin speed. That may work. If not, I'll then stretch out the sleeves while wet, and put it in the the dryer on a high setting, and check every 20 minutes until I have the right "size". (I've found that if I do stick them in the dryer, I have to stretch the sleeves a lot prior, otherwise they will come out too short after drying.) The tunic will stretch back a little bit with normal wear, but then you can re-wash and dry to bring it back to the desired "size". On the other hand, if I over shrink it, no problem. I will just wash it (hand, machine, whatever) and stretch it to a desired size.

Yup, this is a lot of work. But I really, really, love my IM stuff, and happily make the time for cleaning and caring :)

One caveat - only try shrinking with linen tunics. Any IM linen with more "structure" (saddle shoulders, knitted hems and sleeves, thicker knitting, etc.) may not shrink like the tunics, or may have uneven shrinkage. I tried the above methods on a crewneck once. After many washings and dryings, it was still too big for me. I ended up consigning it with LuxeSwap.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Easily Amused great. yep, only going to try this on the linen tunics. what water temp do you do for the wash step? i did a hot wash and lay flat dry on one a little while back and got basically no shrinkage that way.

jl9377

Reaction score
For tunics, I'd first try simply washing (in a large sweater bag) with a higher spin speed. That may work. If not, I'll then stretch out the sleeves while wet, and put it in the the dryer on a high setting, and check every 20 minutes until I have the right "size". (I've found that if I do stick them in the dryer, I have to stretch the sleeves a lot prior, otherwise they will come out too short after drying.) The tunic will stretch back a little bit with normal wear, but then you can re-wash and dry to bring it back to the desired "size". On the other hand, if I over shrink it, no problem. I will just wash it (hand, machine, whatever) and stretch it to a desired size.

Yup, this is a lot of work. But I really, really, love my IM stuff, and happily make the time for cleaning and caring :)

One caveat - only try shrinking with linen tunics. Any IM linen with more "structure" (saddle shoulders, knitted hems and sleeves, thicker knitting, etc.) may not shrink like the tunics, or may have uneven shrinkage. I tried the above methods on a crewneck once. After many washings and dryings, it was still too big for me. I ended up consigning it with LuxeSwap.
Thanks for this info, good to know and keep in the back pocket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads