1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Inis Meain knitwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I highly recommend the tailored IM outwear produced by Luciano Barbera. I finally got to pick up my overcoat and it's a classic.

2. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

3. SHS

SHS Senior member

I just bought this in navy, also from The Bureau. Does anyone know what the buttons are made of? Also, does anyone think the fit in the shoulders are a bit off? I am broad shouldered, but it is as if the sleeves are sewn on a bit too far from the shoulders. Fit everywhere else is fine.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Buttons are horn.

5. Pelotonia

Pelotonia Well-Known Member

Guys, quite new to the brand here, but I have a question. Kind of understanding the price points for linen knitwear, but what does make a merino sweater by Inis Meain more expensive than Scottish cashmere sweater by Jonhstons for example?

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

Generally, Inis Meain knits are not more expensive than cashmere knits from Johnstons, if you compare prices from UK shops. Furthermore, IM knits are hand knitted whereas Johnstons are likely not, making the two not quite as comparable in cost to produce.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Not sure what you mean by hand knitted, but they use automatic machines. When Talarach took over the brand in the '80s - back when it was just a knitting co-op - he put in a lot of work to upgrade the company's technology. You can see some of their machines in this video

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

If you're comparing that to the computerized knitting machines that go back and forth in knitting, then yes, they do involve more handwork, as you can see in that video. They also hand link the seams, rather than sew them together by machine.

I haven't owned any Johnston's knitwear, so I can't say how they compare. I do have some cashmere sweaters from Liang and Lockie, however. Both were more expensive than what I typically pay for a merino from Inis Meain (whether from an overseas or a US store)

From the merinos I've handled, Inis Meain's are a bit softer and plusher (likely from the cashmere mix). They're also more densely knitted, and usually carry more interesting designs or colors. The linens are also unique - at least the ones I've handled - in that they spring back to shape, rather than hang limp and lifeless, like most linen yarns do.

8. dieworkwear

(deleted. whoops, wrong video)

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

Well, yes, not hand knitted per se like Inverallan, but more hand work. Like you said, a thicker knit like IM's will use more yarn as well.

10. SHS

SHS Senior member

Thank you. I suspect my problem with the shoulders may have been caused by the way the knit was folded in the package. Or that it has been on a hanger. It is hard to explain, but it was as if a fold was protruding from the sleeves. I hope it will settle down.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You shouldn't put your knitwear on hangers ever.

12. SHS

SHS Senior member

Thank you for the reply, but I just received the cardigan today. It looks sorta like it has been on a hanger was what i meant.

13. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I think I know what you mean. Shoulders are a little puffy and have extra folds in them, as opposed to draping smoothly and laying down? I have an IM sweater that does that. It's not a flaw, just how they design them.

14. SHS

SHS Senior member

Yes it's something like that. Sleeves are made a bit puffy by the folds. Does it "settle" a bit with time?

15. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Haven't worn mine, but I kind of doubt it.

16. SHS

SHS Senior member

Thanks. Well, I still have have to decide whether I like it or not. Perhaps it is an effect of the hand linked seams that Dieworkwear mentions.

17. zissou

zissou Senior member

One thing I've noticed with some of the Aran cable knits from IM is that the body panels are very square, resulting in wide, puffy shoulders. Ideally, the shoulders should be narrower than the body. Some of the other models don't seem to have this problem.

18. dieworkwear

[​IMG]

19. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

You know..that's actually a pretty good exaggeration of the effect and I thought of a shirt like that when trying to describe it.

20. dieworkwear

Think of it as #sprezzatura.

[​IMG]