Inis Meain knitwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Jan 11, 2011.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I love how everyone likes saying "philistine" here to make themselves sound advanced. If you think criticism of the "outfit" pictured reflects a narrow worldview, then I don't think you should be in charge of estimating anyone's tastes or opinions. The person looks ridiculous.

Is that three printed shirts and a scarf? Is that two shirts, a scarf, and a skirt? Two shirts, a scarf, and printed baggy-waisted pants? Give me a break, fool.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

First of all, this is my site, so please don't call me a fool. I'll assume that you didn't know.

Also, I've been in the garment industry for about 15 years now, and I'm guessing that I've forgotten more about fashion and style than you'll ever learn. I think that the scarf is overkill, but the layered shirts and the pants all work well within the context of that outfit. It's a pretty decent example of the boho/hobo look that worked its way over to from Japan to Europe, and more recently to the US, that works reasonably well.

If "it's ridiculous" is the best that you can do, yes, you are a Philistine. There are well-informed, insightful, opinions, and there are idiotic ones, regardless of position.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

3. archetypal_yuppie

Congrats on the site. In fairness, fool was in response to philistine, but I guess you have the ultimate say.

So even you think the outfit is overkill, but my worldview is too narrow for thinking it looks bad. Something there doesn't square. I guess "overkill" is more moderate than "ridiculous/idiot," but is that difference enough to separate fashion pro from philistine?

I recognize there are people who like that "boho/hobo" look (that's what you called it, I don't know any better), but I reserve the right to think it looks nuts and I think you're going too far by suggesting that those who think it looks nuts are philistines.

I'd bet a majority of the CM crowd would agree, and I don't think you'd label them philistines. I'm not suggesting that they would, but if manton/foo/voxsartoria said it looked ridiculous, would you call them that?

Some men like to dress in women's lingerie, is that ridiculous, or is my world-view too narrow? Who get's to draw the line? I think the "boho/hobo" look is more deluded than I am philistine.

To expand this beyond the clothing arena, it's very PC to appreciate and celebrate everyone's differences, but if it goes totally unchecked, shit flies off the handle. I'm one of the courageous few who dares to take the heat from the wild ones for saying "enough of this nonsense." If my opinions are not welcome, then which of us is closed-minded?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

4. LA Guy

I've disagreed with Manton, Foo, and Vox on many occasions. Manton, who is probably the most knowledgeable of the three, and I, are actually pretty good friends, and we have decided that we just come at fashion/style from very different vantage points. Manton refuses to opine on styles about which he has no knowledge, which I think is a prudent thing. He confines his analysis and opinions to styles that fall into the purview of classic menswear. I know the man well enough to guess that he would say that he doesn't understand that attraction in this type of clothing, but that he has nothing really to say about it other than that he doesn't understand, nor is he particularly interested in learning about this type of style. His position is reactionary only when it comes to the small deviations within classical menswear itself.

I welcome all opinions. Like I've said before, I have had some very in depth conversations about all sorts of things with Manton. We frequently disagree. I welcome that type of discussion and disagreement. I do not appreciate ignorance in any form.

This "hobo" look does not come out of nowhere. It has it's roots in the junction between Japanese and western influences. I think that the brand that best illustrates this is Kapital, and the brands use of "boro" fabrics. "Boro" was originally not at all a celebrated thing. It was patchwork, made necessary from poverty. However, like a lot of things originally produced for purely utilitarian reasons, we've come to see the beauty in the commonplace. That's how we also get boiled wools, Casentino, crepe soles, brogueing, and so on. Oh, and just so that we are somewhat on topic - it's the same thing that lead to merino and cashmere fishermen's sweaters. It's reasonably well documented that this type of sweater has only been produced in the Aran Isles for about a century and a bit, and was actually the result of a government initiative to jumpstart the stagnant economy of what are traditionally poor communities. And the "hobo" fit? Yamamoto's explanation for his earliest Y-3 pieces is perhaps the best. He deliberately made the silhouettes drapey and oversized, to evoke the oversized silhouettes of Japanese wearing clothing made for much larger Europeans and Americans. Now, if you knew all of that, and decided that within that context, this is still rubbish, and could articulate why? Then I'd respect your opinion.

5. LA Guy

On the same topic, there is a reason that someone like gdl and Parker are so well respected on both CM and SWD, and it really is their willingness to experiment and learn about all sorts of things, combined with high taste levels.

6. archetypal_yuppie

Fair enough. But for what it's worth, what I saw in that picture didn't look so much like an adherence to that other "hobo" style, and more like a fairly traditional cardigan with badly executed (and excessive) layers underneath.

7. LA Guy

You could be right, but the Bureau brand mix and their lookbook leads me to believe otherwise.

8. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

LA Guy: great post.

That previous fit is excellent. Might swap out the floral shirt for a floral waistcoat, but that's it, and basically just nitpicking.

Surprised anyone would get so upset about it. The colours are all pretty conservative, the scarf plays down
    the potential loudness of the (monochrome!) floral shirt, and the variations in fabric are subtle.

Here's a (Kapital) fit for you to get more righteously indignant about archetypal_yuppie! : )
    (Yes, I actually do think it's awesome.)

[​IMG]

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I thought that was "drape?" :puzzled:

10. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

That's on the CM side. Over here, it's "proxy service".

11. johanm

johanm Senior member

FYI - the complete Bureau outfit:

[​IMG]

I'm probably a philistine insofar as I can't articulate why I like it, but I think it's a pretty cool look...

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not sure how one could call the gansey a "turtleneck"... Something must be lost in translation there...

13. alex99

alex99 Senior member

Has anyone experienced some stretch in their Inis Meain sweaters after, say, 5-10 wears? I just received the Donegal pullover from Manufactum in size S and the back measures 22.75", so it runs REALLY short. There is definitely some stretch to the garment, but I need it to be about 25" to wear comfortably so am just deciding if I should wear it a lot and hope for some stretch, or just send it back. I can hand stretch it a bit but not sure if this will work long term. The rest feels snug but ok. I think sizing up could be too big in shoulders and arm length, so on the fence.

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

I would not expect that much stretch. I have found some IM knits to run a bit short. I think I've finally settled on trying to sell one of mine because it just isn't the right length...

15. Shirts Anderson

Shirts Anderson Senior member

Agree with Zissou. Maybe I'm misinformed, but I thought one of the signs of quality knitwear was the absence of a lot of stretch during normal wear. And over two inches sounds like a lot.

Thanks to the recommendations of this forum I've recently had success with blocking to get a little more length in the arms and body, but the donegal does not seem like a good candidate for that process.