• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ingrown Hairs

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an African-American with a pretty bad PFB problem... that being said, I typically avoid shaving for as long as possible because inevitably, every time I do, I get a crapload of ingrown hairs/unsightly razor bumps.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd be much happier with 5 o'clock shadow than razor bumps; I'm looking for a razor (or clippers) that I can use that won't shave me as cleanly, if that makes any sense.. I'm not sure where one would find this. Also, I'm looking for recommendations for a aftershave with salicylic acid in it.

I currently use Chanel face products that for the most part, keep my acne reined in, but don't help at all with the ingrown hairs.

Thanks.

supremeclientele

Reaction score
Razor called Bump Figheter (i prefer disposable to cartridges). Use TendSkin after shave. Moisturize! If you cant use a razor there is electric trimmer, Andis Outliner Trimmer but it doesn't compare to razor. Also shaving everyday seems to help. Everyone's different. Good luck

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried applying a moisturizer, before you shave? I learned this, via American Psycho. It really does help. I apply an Avon product that I really like, let it sink into my skin after showering, say for ten minutes, then apply lather, atop the moisturizer. Much smoother going, with the razor.

For eruptions, Queen Helene original mint julep masque, is the best thing I've ever used.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I'm an African-American with a pretty bad PFB problem... that being said, I typically avoid shaving for as long as possible because inevitably, every time I do, I get a crapload of ingrown hairs/unsightly razor bumps.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd be much happier with 5 o'clock shadow than razor bumps; I'm looking for a razor (or clippers) that I can use that won't shave me as cleanly, if that makes any sense.. I'm not sure where one would find this. Also, I'm looking for recommendations for a aftershave with salicylic acid in it.

I currently use Chanel face products that for the most part, keep my acne reined in, but don't help at all with the ingrown hairs.

Thanks.

Normally, ingrown hairs come from getting too close of a shave. Some peoples skin is more susceptible to ingrown hairs also.

A razor shaves much closer than an electric shaver so using an electric shaver sometimes eliminates ingrown hairs.

hobo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
A razor shaves much closer than an electric shaver so using an electric shaver sometimes eliminates ingrown hairs.
This is right. And using a beard/mustache trimmer with no guard will give you an even less close shave, but perhaps a shave that might be an acceptibly close alternative to a beard or scruffyness

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo
This is right. And using a beard/mustache trimmer with no guard will give you an even less close shave, but perhaps a shave that might be an acceptibly close alternative to a beard or scruffyness

I've done that before but my current job won't allow it.

Wahl used to make a shaver specifically for this purpose but I don't think they make it anymore, unfortunately.

hobo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I've done that before but my current job won't allow it.

Wahl used to make a shaver specifically for this purpose but I don't think they make it anymore, unfortunately.

I have one from wahl that fits this description that I purchased at Target maybe a year ago.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiehls makes a blue moisturizer that contains salicylic acid. I use it and like it. It's not an "aftershave" per se, but I use it as one.

It might help to shave more often. The act of shaving itself exfoliates your skin and might release ingrowns. I typically get more ingrowns if I skip a couple of days shaving than when I'm shaving everyday.

Which razor are you using? Consider switching to a razor with less blades, and shave with the grain instead of against or across. And switch blades often.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you consulted with a dermatologist who specializes in skin care for African Americans? I know a few people who have gone to Dr Susan Taylor in Philly and been amazed at the results she's achieved for them.

Generally speaking, the advice to change razor blades very frequently is very sound. Are there perhaps some shaving creams for sensitive skin?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use two separate razors to shave -- the multi-blade one (Mach 3, etc.) for cheeks/chin and a cheap SINGLE-blade razor by Bic for your neck. For the neck, always shave with the grain. Finally, I have found Aveeno shaving cream (I get mine at CVS) to be fantastic. Neutrogena makes a good one too.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I'm an African-American with a pretty bad PFB problem... that being said, I typically avoid shaving for as long as possible because inevitably, every time I do, I get a crapload of ingrown hairs/unsightly razor bumps. I've come to the conclusion that I'd be much happier with 5 o'clock shadow than razor bumps; I'm looking for a razor (or clippers) that I can use that won't shave me as cleanly, if that makes any sense.. I'm not sure where one would find this. Also, I'm looking for recommendations for a aftershave with salicylic acid in it. I currently use Chanel face products that for the most part, keep my acne reined in, but don't help at all with the ingrown hairs. Thanks.
Kronik, There's some good advice dispensed here. I get ingrowns, too. I've tried everything from Magic Shave to Bump Fighter. I've been experimenting with the Xtreme 3 blade disposable, but find the Shick Slim Twin works well for me. My brother uses a single-blade safety razor (the Art of Shaving carries one currently) and swears by it. A straight razor is supposed to be the ****, but who has the skill or time for that? Lately I've been using a pre-shave oil, which seems to set the beard up nicely and leaves my face in better shape after regular, daily shaving. After shaving I use an alum block which closes pores and takes care of nicks. It also seems to help with the bumps, too. L'Oreal has a line of men's skin care called ADS (Active Defense System) which helps with razor bumps. Tend Skin, as previously mentioned, does a great job, too. Oh! forgot about these. . . Zirh has a face wash with salacylic acid. In addition, the Art of Shaving has an Ingrown Hair Night Cream made with willow bark extract, which has salacilin (a product of salacylate, which also produces salacylic acid). This works well. Put it on at night for a week and the bumps are gone. Use it as needed.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Salicylic acid and a change of razors are good ideas, but also consider using alpha hydroxy acid or beta hydroxy acid. That will exfoliate the skin, making it softer. It's probably better to use at night, because it increases sun sensitivity. (Caution - "Do not exfoliate the skin if you already have ingrown hairs because skin irritation may occur.)Or, like the previous reply pointed out, you could use an exfoliating scrub before you shave.

zangief470

Reaction score
You gotta check this stuff out : BUMP DOWN. Works amazing. I've been using it for like a year now, no more razor bumps, redness, ingrown hairs, nothing. Straight up smooth skin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics