Informal wedding guest attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wannabestyled, Sep 30, 2016.

1. wannabestyled

wannabestyled Active Member

Good afternoon gentlemen,

My fiancée and I were invited to a wedding coming up soon. I'm guessing it's of an informal/casual nature as it's being held in a backyard and the groom/groomsmen are wearing jeans, white shirt, tan(ish) vest, and cowboy boots. I find it strange, but whatever works for them right? My question is what would be the best guest attire for something like this. I certainly won't wear jeans. I was thinking of a blue suit worn casually (no tie, open collar, less formal shirt??).

Am I at all on the right track? Any suggestions/examples would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

~Dave

2. Marsay

Marsay Senior member

If you're dead set on outdresssing the groom, you hardly need people on the internet to enable you.

3. wannabestyled

wannabestyled Active Member

My apologies. Allow me to rephrase...

What would be the appropriate wedding attire for male guests at a wedding in which the groom/groomsmen are wearing jeans, vests, and cowboy boots? I was under the impression that wearing jeans to a wedding isn't the most appropriate, not realizing that anything more would be out-dressing the groom in this particular instance. Do you gentlemen have any suggestions? I appreciate any help.

~Dave

4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

If the groom and groomsmen are in jeans, then jeans are appropriate at that wedding. Their choices are what define what's appropriate at that wedding.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

It's the Bride and Groom's day and they have the right to choose what they wear. There is absolutely nothing wrong whatever with their choice.

It is, however, disgraceful for any guest to out dress the happy couple and so carry on with wearing a suit if you think so little of them that you prefer to insult them rather than share in their happiness.

You are the prat.

If you refuse to wear jeans, send a generous present and absent yourself with some suitable excuse - maybe your pet dog is going to die on the day.

6. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Affiliate Vendor

A suit sounds a little "stiff" given what the wedding party is wearing. How about a blazer, no tie and chinos.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com